Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 27
997 : 2004- 63
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 3
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 29
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 7
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

C4Silver
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I read somewhere once that every driver in the U.K. ? Had been touched by a mini at some point in their life, either owned or driven or even a passenger, a relative owned one or a friend.
The article went on to say that there’s multiple cars that you have been in but can’t ever remember but you always remember the mini !

I think it’s safe to say I’m getting one, my Son is making sure of it ! He has countless copies of performance MINI and has had designs on one for the past 18 months, last year I went to a MINI to buy a Countryman JCW body kit in the light grey with JCW seats and the whole body kit. The sales guy was complete idiot and even bragged how he never gave any discount, so we went and bought a Tiguan instead.

It’s safe to say my Son was gutted !

These bloody things are more confusing than 911’s with all the designations and types, specs etc. My son has found a JCW R53 Factory 210 ? Which must have come from the factory in Sussex before BMW bought the name ?
Again it’s a 1 owner, it’s got a chrono pack ? Sat Nav in the centre where the speedo should be and two pods on the steering column and not one ?
What looks like a shift light ? It’s got red brakes JCW ones, and it’s numbered but quite low. It’s 2003
It also has two VDO gauges in the centre console ?
I thought these early cars were 200 and then later 210 ? Also this should have an LSD right ?
The seller states it is a factory car NOT dealer fit ? But the factory fit didn’t come till BMW bought the name and applied it at he production line and not in the dealers ? Arghhhhh confusing times.

It’s safe to say that the JCW cars command the higher price, when you look at a pulley an intercooler, injectors, filter etc it’s more cost effective to buy low price on a stock Cooper S Suoercharged and throw the mods at it as suggested above.

Manifold and exhaust, shocks and poly bushes ?

For a couple of grand it seems daft to not dabble in one, I’ll keep you posted and hopefully pick up some good ideas from here ?

MaxA
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you’ve found an early fJCW but I don’t recall when the switch from the dealer-fitted kit happened (there weren’t that many). All MINIs were made at what MINI calls ‘Plant Oxford’, except the GP1s which were assembled by Bertone in Italy.

It’s worth checking the VIN to get the full original specification, as the LSD was I think still an option (only £100 but you’d be surprised at how many people didn’t tick that box…). The VDO gauges and shift lights are aftermarket. If you’re not minded to modify much, then a JCW might be worth it, especially if loaded with carbon fibre and other JCW branded stuff. There is a chance that this car has been "returned to stock" (or demodified), so it's worth a good poke around underneath and in the engine bay. And look out for rust on the bootlid, and excessive stone chips.

You’d still need to allow for normal and preventative maintenance, and stuff like the FWRBs, shocks, etc. might need replacing.

A JCW would work well with a new manifold to improve the breathing (it should already have the JCW catback) and – if you like corners – then a decent set of coilovers, with new adjustable rear control arms and adjustable drop links all round is essential for a good set up. Plus of course non runflats and lightweight rims. Then all you'll need is decent pads, fresh fluid... ah well, you know how it is.

rabbitstew
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ones which have sat nav have the 2 pods on the steering wheel - one for the rev counter and the other for speedo. When I got mine, one "must have" for me was to not have that and have just the central speedo.

The 2 VDO`s in front of the gear stick were options, they command good money 2nd hand alone.

JCW bits like the hand brake, gear stick, carbon dash, steering wheel all fetch silly money now so factor that in to the cost over a non JCW. If its got the JCW bucket seats, them alone are £1500.

The early JCW kits were dealer fitted and you should get a certificate to confirm this, it might be the owner is confused saying it was factory, or it maybe a very early one being as its 2003.

With tuning, most UK tuning companies say the stock exhaust manifold is very good and even go as far as to keep the cat as the supercharger likes the back pressure. I think it was 1320 mini who did lots of testing on this. What some people do is to get rid of the pre-cat by fitting a janspeed manifold but ditch the decat and add the original mini cat to get the best results, but in the main you are better off spending money elsewhere initially.

Counter Of Beans
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has a 2006 R53 Cooper S with a dealer-fitted JCW kit. The car is great fun to drive, and she refuses to let me modify it.
But if I was allowed, the two things that would top my list are:
1) new coilovers; the ones on there are rock hard and spoil the ride. The car is not tracked and never will be, and I find it too harsh. My 993 is much nicer.
2) better brakes; I imagine they are the normal R53 S brakes, and I would upgrade them to R56 S ones.

Oh, and fixing the oil leak would be nice, but that's another story.

MaxA
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
My wife has a 2006 R53 Cooper S with a dealer-fitted JCW kit. The car is great fun to drive, and she refuses to let me modify it.
But if I was allowed, the two things that would top my list are:
1) new coilovers; the ones on there are rock hard and spoil the ride. The car is not tracked and never will be, and I find it too harsh. My 993 is much nicer.
2) better brakes; I imagine they are the normal R53 S brakes, and I would upgrade them to R56 S ones.

Oh, and fixing the oil leak would be nice, but that's another story.

Well, you could try non run flats, or smaller/lighter rims. Both help the ride and handling. And a decent aftermarket brake pad such as a Mintex M1144 would help you stop (if you're not tracking it). SWMBO wouldn't notice new pads or new rubber would she?

Counter Of Beans
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes MaxA you're right about the wheels - already has non-runflats on it.
I fancy some 16 inch ones, perhaps Oz Alleggerita's which should reduce the weight a bit. Need to wait until the tyres need replacing though.
Good shout on the ads, cheers.

rabbitstew
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handing wise, mine came with dunlop runflats on it and the handling was shocking. I replaced the suspension with AP coilovers, poly bushed the whole front end and corrected one of the strut towers which was mushroomed. The handling was transformed! And that was with still running the dunlop run flats! I was convinced that they were the issue, but with the new suspension they were great! Of course, once they were worn out I replaced them with some non runflat michelins and the ride was better, but not as big of a difference as sorting the suspension out made.

Counter Of Beans
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the plan would be to fit 16" wheels with new coilovers at the same time, and hope that Mrs COB doesn't notice.
I don't want to lower the car, because we are cursed with a plague of speed bumps around here.
Now, do the AP coilovers lower the ride height, Brer Rabbit? And are they nice and compliant?

rabbitstew
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
Yeah, the plan would be to fit 16" wheels with new coilovers at the same time, and hope that Mrs COB doesn't notice.
I don't want to lower the car, because we are cursed with a plague of speed bumps around here.
Now, do the AP coilovers lower the ride height, Brer Rabbit? And are they nice and compliant?

The AP coil overs can be as high or low as you want. My daily commute is very bumpy B-Roads and when I get to work theres lots of speed ramps, so whilst mine is lowered a bit, ive kept it looking sensible & practical. I did remove the very lower lip off the front bumper which you dont notice, but that did give me a bit more clearance.

Im pretty pleased with the ride. I was expect it to be a bone shaker as the AP`s are a bit sportier than stock & I polybushed the whole front end. Im also running solid top mounts up front. But, the ride is actually pretty good.

TBH I only went for the coil overs as they were cheaper (at the time) than going for stock shocks and they gave me just a bit more adjust ability if required. You could probably go for some uprated struts instead if you see any at a decent price.

Counter Of Beans
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumb Monsieur Rabbit.

MaxA
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
Counter Of Beans wrote:

The AP coil overs can be as high or low as you want. My daily commute is very bumpy B-Roads and when I get to work theres lots of speed ramps, so whilst mine is lowered a bit, ive kept it looking sensible & practical. I did remove the very lower lip off the front bumper which you dont notice, but that did give me a bit more clearance.

Im pretty pleased with the ride. I was expect it to be a bone shaker as the AP`s are a bit sportier than stock & I polybushed the whole front end. Im also running solid top mounts up front. But, the ride is actually pretty good.

TBH I only went for the coil overs as they were cheaper (at the time) than going for stock shocks and they gave me just a bit more adjust ability if required. You could probably go for some uprated struts instead if you see any at a decent price.

APs and a lipectomy. A classic combination for an R53. I gather that APs have gone up in price, so I'd be looking at the base STs (which are also made by KW). Sold by an outfit called Orranje, who are very good for decent MINI stuff.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: