Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Error Code Help Needed

BuzzMotty

Hello all.

Just signed up to the site and hoping someone can help.

Yesterday I purchased a 2002 Boxster S 3.2 and it's already gone wrong :sad: Maybe the VAG Gods are punishing me for getting rid of my Cupra and TTs.

I was coming off a roundabout in third gear, got to about 50mph at 5k revs and the car went into what I think was limp home mode. No throttle, no power at all. I stopped and the engine then cut out.

I tried starting the car a few times with no luck. The engine itself was turning over just was no making any noise. The recovery guy said it's like there is no spark or compression.

So.. Today I borrowed my friends fault reader and a few codes came up which to me all seem very random to be together. (See picture)

Anyone got any thoughts?

Attachments

• error_codes_105.jpg
    error_codes_105.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,799
Unlucky young man :sad: , but :welcome: to 911uk anyway :thumb:

The resident Porsche mechanic/guru deMort will be along shortly, about 7pm, so hang around for his opinion and advice on where to start.
You might want to get a better quality picture posted up as I`m struggling to read that on a 24" screen :grin:
Or post the error codes and explanations in text format

Can time out in instrument cluster .. usually caused by a flat battery .

Camshaft sensor .. won't cause the issues you have.

Ambient pressure no signal .. that's a strange code .. ambient temp i know so i can only guess at pressure being the above sea lvl reading which richens or weakens the mixture depending on the altitude .. i think we can ignore that for now as its part of the dme ( engine ecu )

O2 sensor B1 no signal .. probably a lambda sensor required .. won't cause this issue but will need sorting if its a current fault .

Mil fault ? does the eml light come on with ignition on .. possible spurious code or the bulb has blown / been removed .

Immobiliser fault .. no signal .. WTF !! .. cant happen when driving so i can only assume its an old code that's not active .

Ok what's not listed is the things that the car can't see ..

Start off with putting a jerry can of petrol in it .. fuel gauges can lie .

Next thing .. does it start when its cold .. CPS ( Crank Angle Sensor ) can fail when hot .. look at rev counter when you crank it .. it should read about 1-200 rpm .. if nothing then that's a good place to start .

A noid light in an injector will also say if no injection is taking place .. again CPS is the most likely .

Bigger pictures please :)

Attachments

• vs213_143.jpg
    vs213_143.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,752
Did it go to limp or was it more like a misfire giving reduced performance? When my MAF failed (2000 3.2S) it took a lot to start it, it would just about fire and die without lots of throttle assistance as opposed to no attempt to fire up at all. Ambient pressure and ambient temp errors were present in my case.

deMort said:
Can time out in instrument cluster .. usually caused by a flat battery .

Camshaft sensor .. won't cause the issues you have.

Ambient pressure no signal .. that's a strange code .. ambient temp i know so i can only guess at pressure being the above sea lvl reading which richens or weakens the mixture depending on the altitude .. i think we can ignore that for now as its part of the dme ( engine ecu )

O2 sensor B1 no signal .. probably a lambda sensor required .. won't cause this issue but will need sorting if its a current fault .

Mil fault ? does the eml light come on with ignition on .. possible spurious code or the bulb has blown / been removed .

Immobiliser fault .. no signal .. WTF !! .. cant happen when driving so i can only assume its an old code that's not active .

Ok what's not listed is the things that the car can't see ..

Start off with putting a jerry can of petrol in it .. fuel gauges can lie .

Next thing .. does it start when its cold .. CPS ( Crank Angle Sensor ) can fail when hot .. look at rev counter when you crank it .. it should read about 1-200 rpm .. if nothing then that's a good place to start .

A noid light in an injector will also say if no injection is taking place .. again CPS is the most likely .

Bigger pictures please :)

Thank you for getting back to me.

So, there was a full tank of fuel so that's not an issue.

The eml did not come on when it died and neither on ignition.

Did not cold start, tried on jump leads but nothing. You got hear the engine turning over but wouldn't start. Was like the starter motor was just turning the crank but no spark to make it crank properly.

Attachments

• img_20200320_163145_176.jpg
    img_20200320_163145_176.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,622
½cwt said:
Did it go to limp or was it more like a misfire giving reduced performance? When my MAF failed (2000 3.2S) it took a lot to start it, it would just about fire and die without lots of throttle assistance as opposed to no attempt to fire up at all. Ambient pressure and ambient temp errors were present in my case.

It just went limp, no misfire or anything like that. Just lost power then died.

You turn the key and there is no attempt to fire at all.

Check the carpet in the passenger side, under the seat, to see if it is wet, there is contol unit under the seat, immobiliser I believe and if it gets wet it`s not a good thing :thumb:

kurlykris said:
Check the carpet in the passenger side, under the seat, to see if it is wet, there is contol unit under the seat, immobiliser I believe and if it gets wet it`s not a good thing :thumb:

I'll have a look tomorrow evening. And will keep you updated.

CPS which is checked using a noid light for a rough idea or a scope to check the signal or a dead fuel pump is what i'm thinking ... Cps is the most likely .

As above though .. if wet under the passenger's seat then that will certainly cause it .. but that's more a non start when left unused rather than a driving the car and it dies type of fault but still very possible and it needs checking .

deMort said:
CPS which is checked using a noid light for a rough idea or a scope to check the signal or a dead fuel pump is what i'm thinking ... Cps is the most likely .

As above though .. if wet under the passenger's seat then that will certainly cause it .. but that's more a non start when left unused rather than a driving the car and it dies type of fault but still very possible and it needs checking .

Thank you for your help. I don't have a Noid light so have purchase a Crank Position Sensor and will just change to see. I was thinking Fuel pump before but no expert so just I'd ask on here.

Trouble is, the battery is now dead the garage that was supposed to be looking at the car has killed it. And closed the bonnet when towing it back :sad:

Will definitely have a look under the seat.

So. I checked under the seat and all seems OK.

Changed the cps and spark plugs but still the same.

I have made a video but it won't let me attached it. :dont know:

Have you uploaded the video to youtube, that is the easiest way :thumb:

Posted it here for you :thumb:

You need to check for a spark and fuel pressure now, have you checked for blown fuses, especially fuel pump, not sure if there is a fuel pump relay also :thumb:

I can email over the Electrical schematics if you need them :?: They include some diagnosing information like activating the pump :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ilovecars
Back