Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front number plate

RBB

Question (apologies if this has been previously covered)

Front number plate mounting and the ugly black plate holder.....anyone removed it? Whats underneath? nicer smoother options for mounting the plate? Or a "sticker" type front plate, pictures appreciated.

RBB said:
HSC911 said:
RBB said:
Whats underneath?

Holes :grin:

Get a sticker :thumb:

Helpful thanks !!! :sad:

You're welcome :D

You think I was being c0cky :dont know:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132080&highlight=number+plate

Holes:

Dieseldave said:
I wanted to use a smaller number plate on the front but sadly none of
the previous owners had heard of double sided tape :x

21, yes 21 holes in the front bumper. Should it not at least be an even number?

Have a good day :bye:

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what happens at MOT time with front stick on plates?
Please don't say "find a friendly MOT tester", since round here they ALL seem to be utter jobsworths who are itching to fail cars. That's been my experience anyway.
Is there a definitive answer to the "are stick on plates legal?" question?

Counter Of Beans said:
Sorry if this has been covered before, but what happens at MOT time with front stick on plates?
Please don't say "find a friendly MOT tester", since round here they ALL seem to be utter jobsworths who are itching to fail cars. That's been my experience anyway.
Is there a definitive answer to the "are stick on plates legal?" question?

Definitely not legal :thumb:

stick on plates are legal if they are:

a. on a vertical surface so the front of the bumper and not at an angle

b. they are the correct size (520mm length x 110mm)

c. they use the correct spacing and sizes.

d. they do no have any silly spacing to make up a name or sth else.

mine passed recently with a stick on plate and the tester told me that

the Fuzz are getting hot on no front plate or wrong plate. they will go back to the MOT station and if its been passed with no plate or wrong type they are in trouble.

keep a normal plate in the front of your car too and some double sided tape is what i too in case Plod gets fuzzy and wont let you drive on.

hope that helps. Nick

NLW73 said:
stick on plates are legal if they are:

a. on a vertical surface so the front of the bumper and not at an angle

b. they are the correct size (520mm length x 110mm)

c. they use the correct spacing and sizes.

d. they do no have any silly spacing to make up a name or sth else.

mine passed recently with a stick on plate and the tester told me that

the Fuzz are getting hot on no front plate or wrong plate. they will go back to the MOT station and if its been passed with no plate or wrong type they are in trouble.

keep a normal plate in the front of your car too and some double sided tape is what i too in case Plod gets fuzzy and wont let you drive on.

hope that helps. Nick

The opposite of what my MOT tester said lol. Either way they need to comply with the new 2019 regs (BS AU 145e) or D depending on where you read :grin:

I wouldn't rely on an MOT person for advice on the legal position.

Thanks for all the replies guys....sorry to have opened up a hornets nest regarding legality !.

A little research into the actual law give s this......(cut and pasted )

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001
Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

6."”(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed"”

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is"”

(a)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(c)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

(5) In the case of a motor cycle or a motor tricycle which does not have a body of a type which is characteristic of the body of a four-wheeled vehicle"”

(a)a registration plate must not be fixed on the front of a vehicle if it was first registered on or after 1st September 2001,

(b)a plate need not be fixed on the front of the vehicle if it was first registered before 1st September 2001.

I guess Para 3a is the important one....Vertical or as near vertical etc.....

Amazing what you can find out whilst on lock down....I'll get the carrier of mine in the next couple of days and see whats behind it ....hopefully not as many (any) holes as the other post !! :eek:

if your MOT station passes it then the come back is on them as much as you.

agreed on the vertical surface. police get very angry if horizontal or at 45 degrees. maybe sth to do with the old speed cameras and mobile ones not recognising and same for Number plate reco on the motorways.

again size of the letters and spacing and plate size if correct are not going to get you a tug.

given what's going on with COVID19 and the amount of police resources being diverted there and for quite some time they have other fish to fry.

I went stick on plate as I had all the 15 holes filled in from the different plates and plinth mountings over the years when I had the front bumper painted and sorted out. cars look so much better w/o front plates too just like in the US.

2 PCGB members in our region run 2 Porsche's and neither of them have front number plates fitted, I think they put them on for the MOT then take them off and just drive around. They claim to have never had a tug from dibble!
I'm not advocating doing it, it's just that some people do take the p### and seem to get away with it.

Regarding stick on (thin vinyl) front plates, it's confusing - hence my question.
BS AU 145d says a plate mustn't bend by more than 25 mm when subject to a 3 kg weight. Clearly stick on plates cannot be BS 145d compliant then.

And yet, I have a stick on plate that is marked BS AU 145d..........

But the latest MOT regulations say the tester does not need to look at the BS code.

So does that mean that a stick on plate is illegal (fails BS AU 145d) and yet passes the MOT (assuming the font and spacing is all legit)? :?:

Whats behind the number plate plinth???? The answer is holes and I'm not that impressed ! Thankfully less than 21 tho'

Large holes where the plinth was secured(just about acceptable) and holes ether side where the (too)long screws that attach the number plate to the plinth have been hitting the bumper.....grrrrr

So a repair needed before the new plate can be stuck on.....

Attachments

• vd5hsbzorx6cpiybjxonsa_172.jpg
    vd5hsbzorx6cpiybjxonsa_172.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 3,205
  • 220bjr5lreiuwtlcauksyw_277.jpg
    220bjr5lreiuwtlcauksyw_277.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 3,205
  • newpercentdf2yqfg1sgxkyw_112.jpg
    newpercentdf2yqfg1sgxkyw_112.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 3,205

New Threads

Forum statistics