Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CV rebuild

hermes

Spa-Francorchamps
Failed my MOT yesterday with a split outer boot on the front of my C4S.

I'm happy to remove the driveshaft myself, but don't want to start messing (literally) with boots and joints.

Any suggestions? Could I just take the driveshaft to my indy?

This job is actually harder than it seems .. you will be changing both gaiters as you remove the inner to get the outer off .. the actual cv joint can need a fair bit of persuasion to remove .. hence just take the shaft to your indy and get him to do it ... it's also an incredibly messy job !

Labour saving by you removing and refitting will make it worth it .

A split cv gator doesn't necessarily mean you need a new cv joint. If you have time you can clear all the grease out with a good quality degreaser, then asses if there is wear showing on the balls and cups (there will be some obviously, tolerances are not particularly tight on these once used) then if it's not excessive repack with grease and fit a new boot.

hermes said:
Failed my MOT yesterday with a split outer boot on the front of my C4S.

I'm happy to remove the driveshaft myself, but don't want to start messing (literally) with boots and joints.

Any suggestions? Could I just take the driveshaft to my indy?

Mine failed for the exact same thing last week. All it needed was the outer boot replacing. Looking at the job I ended up taking it to the garage to be done.

I think I'll remove the driveshaft and hand it over to someone else as planned then.

Thanks for the advice.

Well, it's out. Bit of a fight to release the spline from the hub, which surprised me as it was only out 6 months ago.

And, as a result of Covid 19 induced redundancy, this will now be a diy boot replacement, assuming the parts arrive......

Attachments

• img_3148_827.jpg
    img_3148_827.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 2,317
Couple more questions for deMort if he's watching.

Anything I need to take note of in the photo before I knock the thing off the spline.

And can I try and use a large drift/punch to knock the thing off the spline or do I have to use a puller?

Attachments

• p1010367_261.jpg
    p1010367_261.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 2,263
Cleaning the car yesterday and I noticed my front driver side outer boot is split on my C4S :damn: Must have only just happened as I washed the car only the other week.

Now I've done CV replacements on other cars but this one looks more involved having to remove the inner CV joint. Trying to decide if its worth doing myself or getting an indy to do it :dont know: I'll have to buy a ball joint splitter and pulley extractor.

Where did you order your replacement boots from?

Well at least you saved yourself the price of an MOT to find out. Not sure if you'll find an Indy open now for a few weeks.

I ordered the boot 'kits' from type911, but don't think they're stock items so may be waiting a while. Heritage have them too I think.

I ended up removing the drop link, and unbolting the lower control arm as well as the tie rod end to make for more relaxed access.

Yeah glad I caught it early before any damage to the CV joint as there's still grease in it.

With the lockdown the car wont be used so no rush to get it sorted I guess.

My reservation doing it myself is that my garage is very tight and not sure I'll have much space to remove it with the car inside the garage. I could do outside the garage if its not going to take more than a day to do i.e. i dont run into any issues.

I'd also need to source the parts and tools

hermes said:
Couple more questions for deMort if he's watching.

Anything I need to take note of in the photo before I knock the thing off the spline.

And can I try and use a large drift/punch to knock the thing off the spline or do I have to use a puller?

I watched a video last night on this and you'll want to strip the inner CV joint down (remove the bearings). Don't try to knock off the CV joint assembled or you risk damaging it. Use a pulley extractor on the centre part only to remove it from the splines (after you've removed the circlip) ...I hear they can be very tight.

I also read re-assembly of the inner CV joint can be a PITA

I have 2 problems using a puller, (i) I don't have one, and (ii) I don't know what size I'd need. I don't want to buy one online and find it doesn't fit.

Will try other means of persuasion first.

hermes said:
I have 2 problems using a puller, (i) I don't have one, and (ii) I don't know what size I'd need. I don't want to buy one online and find it doesn't fit.

Will try other means of persuasion first.

From what I've read you just need a 3 jaw 3" puller. Alternatively you could place it in a vice and try tapping the shaft downwards using a drift

Good luck

Well it drifted off without not too much of a fight. Unusual for this car!

I finally fitted my ACP tandem cover and Function First gearbox mount while the sun was out too.

Attachments

• p1010381_197.jpg
    p1010381_197.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 2,077
Nicely done. I believe that could have been the hardest bit :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back