Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car running hotter following service / oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamw

Portimao
Hi all
Just got my 996.1 c2 back from service / oil change and noticed the car seems to be running a little hotter than it did before at full operating temp (see pics):

Before (didn't move above 80)

89-E61300-D8-A9-4-F8-C-913-F-AD75-F46-BBEC1.jpg

After (fluctuates between just above 80 and half way between these markers)

3848-D5-AA-1-C3-B-4-A57-9-D90-363-DC0-AD0-C4-D.jpg

It's fitted with a low temp thermostat
I decided to use millers nanodrive 10/50 oil.

Before the service I never saw the needle move above 80 (as per pic)
I've checked and the fans are kicking in.

Any ideas as to why it might me displaying a slightly higher temp on the gauge now ??

Only other point to note is that I was always running with ac on (to help with idle speed) as I had a small hole on oil filler tube that was also fixed as part of the service so this increase in temp was noticed with the ac off.
Maybe running with ac on was masking the slightly higher operating temp ??

Any thoughts people

:dont know:

Thanks

infrasilver said:
What was the old oil, did you go thicker, thinner or the same oil.

Same I think as car new to me but think it was running millers 10/50 before but would need to check paperwork again..

I also went for 'millers nanodrive 10/50"

Just popped out for another look and did some measurement via temp gauge on AC unit.

Highest I observed after a good run and on idle (before fans) : 103
Fans then cooled to 89 over time
Out on a run maintained about 85-90ish..

Does this sound about normal :dont know:

One other thing, can anyone advise when fan on engine lid is active ?

Running the AC will make the rad fans run at half power all the time => car runs cooler.

deMort said:

Thanks deMort !
Does what I've described sound about normal operation for a 996.1 c2 running 10/50 with LTT ?

I'd be concerned about the oil pressure being so low, even at idle 1.25 Bar? Looks low to me.

Parsley said:
I'd be concerned about the oil pressure being so low, even at idle 1.25 Bar? Looks low to me.

What does everyone else's idle at when really warm ?

Details of fan operation which has just taken me 15 mins to find lol ...

Your car is well within specs shall we say .

Attachments

• fans_1_150.jpg
    fans_1_150.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 1,459
The pressure gauge is not that accurate .. if you truly have low oil pressure then at idle you will get the red light flickering on ..

Its best not to get too fixated on a single gauge , whilst that's easy for me to say as it's not my car its all i can say as a mechanic with one or two years of experience .

Evenin' Adam,

Not sure what Mark (other Mark) put in it last year but I always put 10/50 millers in.
Temp might be a little higher than I remember but not sure. Deffo has an LTT fitted which was brand new a couple of thousand miles ago.

Oil pressure is absolutely fine. Anything over 1bar at hot idle is fine and that gauge is reading about 0.2 bar down. Checked with a mechanical gauge when I had it.

They do vary from 1bar even upto 2bar. Although most cars showing nearer 2bar will actually have an iffy gauge that'll read above zero before the car is even started.
Craig's Hartech rebuilt car sits at 1.2bar after a spanking.

Only worry if the low oil pressure light flashes on the dash. :wink:
(And that's set at 0.6 bar out of interest).

What was the story with the oil filler pipe? Just split? It was fine when I had, so I blame other Mark. :D

Edited - Demort beat me to it.

:oops: sorry !

As i said .. its best not to get too fixated on a single gauge .. the car is not young and they were never that accurate im afraid .. its an indication is the best way i can put it .

Infrasilver - just checked and it was millers nanodrive 10/50 used last service too so same oil according to history.

DeMort - thanks for digging out the Fan info.. much appreciated! :thumb:
Hear what you're saying re oil pressure gauge and age of car.

Mark - evening mate.. thanks for the info re oil pressure gauge. I was a little worried for a mo.. No oil pressure lights flashing on dash :)

So sounds like what I'm seeing is normal then ?? :dont know:
Just a bit concerned as could have sworn it ran cooler before I had the oil changed but maybe I'm mistaken and am comparing apples with oranges as different circumstances? :dont know:

Re oil filler tube. PPI when I purchased reported a small hole in oil filler tube (possibly caused by rubbing against something on the bay and wearing over time) that could possibly cause air leaks / rough idle etc so decided to get it sorted whilst in for oil change ...

So is the consensus, that I'm worrying over nothing :D
The temps I've quoted, sound ok?

Just confused what could have caused a possible change in engine temp..

oil pressure is fine, what about that Voltage tho ? shouldn't be 14+ when running? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back