Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Double DIN upgrade? Any advice? Apple play?

Has anyone done this themselves?

If so which aerial adapter did you use?

C11BRA said:
Albionmuz said:
I have just had a Pioneer SPH DA230 Dab fitted to my Alfa 159. I have all my music on an iphone so it shows track names and album covers. For some reason I particularly like being able to use Waze on a decent sized screen (my iphone is the small SE). Being able to make phone calls by voice and receive texts and whatsapp messages (read out if you like too) is great. Phone is connected via a USB cable.

Got to grips with the controls in a day or so as it is intuitive. DAB radio is also a nice upgrade for me.

Looks good too.

No idea how it would work on a 997 but the info that was on the old system is still available on the dashboard between the dials as it was before but not on the Car Play unit.

Reverse cameras are an optional extra.

Cost me £600 fitted without a reverse camera

Update. I've ordered this unit and I collect tomorrow. Advice from Auto Audio was that this unit has the best user interface which you seem to agree with.

I'll fit at the weekend and keep you guys updated. Glad I'm fitting before the Spa/Belgium trip. Will be a pleasure to drive & have Car Play.

How easy was the fitting? How are you getting on with it? I remain very chuffed with mine. Being able to use BBC Sounds app abroad is a newly found experience for me. I like Radio 2 and being able to use it abroad is great

rickprice said:
Gazc2 said:
I had heard this and did before I had the Kenwood fitted. I also set the PCM menu up for auto-wipers, auto-locking

I have a gen 1 - where in the PCM 2.1 do I find these controls please? I have been all over it this afternoon and cannot find them.

Secondly, what is the Chinese unit referred to above please?

Cheers

Hi you can find it in PCM2- Manual - Porsche (WKD-951-020-07) from page 27 onwards - section 2.2.3 - Individual Memory.

Had the Pioneer fitted today (Autosounds in Newcastle - great bunch).

All in, including removing the old Denison b/t and cabling, matching trim, steering wheel control, dab aerial, mic and Pioneer 250Dab with a USB lead in the centre console was £709.

Took around 90 minutes to do (drinking their tea made the time pass quickly) and everything working fine. Just need to sort out getting Waze onto the CarPlay screen but that's for tomorrow.

Features and usefulness are so, so far in advance of the PCM unit it's not even worth going into it.
For now, I have it wired into the Bose optical system, speakers and subs and it's in a different league to the standard unit - the OE Bose speakers are so much better with a decent head unit. I downloaded an album in Hi-res on Qobuz on an iPad and connected this via USB to the Pioneer - the Pioneer/Bose combo is good enough to show the difference between quality sound files and MP3 from Spotify.

I now need a new iPhone with lots of spare memory to get a few hi-res playlists in the car.

Thoroughly recommended - I've put off thinking about upgrading amps/speakers for now!

Installation has not been plug & play. But I've learnt a lot.

1st question was. Which of the 2 antenna plugs from the original unit do I use. From the Porsche data I found that the Brown/Yellow plug is biased for AM reception so we need to use the Black plug for the FM tuned one.
However? I had no FM reception. Nor sound. Hmmmmmmm.

So. No sound. I have the Bose Sub option so I had ordered the fibre optic option. All connected. But no sound.

The steering wheel controls work via the Can bus wires in the red plug. I can see that the white/red wire is the wake up wire for the Bose amp but I can see no power here from the unit. Hence, no sound I guessed.

I could see that the amp remote wire from the head unit was loomed into a plug but the opposite plug the pin was missing. Ah ha!!!!! So even though I had tried adding power to this blue AMP ON wire below once the system was up & running, it seems that the blue wire needs power earlier whilst powering up.

Re-routing the wire to the AMP ON wire and we had sound!!!!!! 😛

For 20 seconds. ☹️

What I was finding was that the red wire to the head unit was only being powered (by putting the key in) for 20 seconds. Forcing me to put the full ignition on to play the radio. Not ideal. The red wire was being powered by the steering wheel control box so possibly just woken by the can bus system.

A quick look at the car circuit diagram and I found a key in (accessory live) wire in the handbrake wiring loom connector. Orange wire. Tested. Live when key in the barrel & when ignition on. Bingo. The plug pin was empty on the female side so I grabbed a similar plug from my BMW stock, robbed a female AMP pin & connected it in the correct pin location. Very satisfying.

I ran this to the original red wire on the head unit. All good now. And doing this also powered the white/white wire in the loom which turns out to be antenna amp power wire so we now have FM reception. Yay!!!!!!

Next comes the removal of the now redundant Tooki phone adapter. I followed the orange fibre optic wires and got confused for a while. Then I realised that the Tooki system must add an extra plug & single optic cable to intercept the signal to play phone calls through the speakers.

By lifting the little blue tabs, the extra cable could be removed and now it's back to factory wires and all still working.

Sounds bloody amazing btw.

I'll update you with final hardware installation another day.

Couldn't resist. Sorry.

I had the Kenwood DMX8019DABS (and dashcam) fitted today and have to say it is amazing. Yes I was coming from the PCM 1 (996) but I have used other head units :D

The wireless Apple CarPlay is superb, connects quickly and resumes seamlessly (after stopping and starting car). The head unit itself has a lot of features which makes personalizing it easy. I even had the dab ariel fitted - was unsure I wanted it as it is on the front screen.

The dashcam integrates directly with the head unit i.e the feed shows on the head unit screen - I had all the functions on (lane departure and collision detection) and they got annoying instantly!! So turned off.

Nice to get in the car, turn it on and have all my music/contacts/podcasts etc available. Not having to swap 6 CDs!!!

villaman said:
Personally not a fan of the double din with a surround...looks a like to much like an after market bodge.

Ive fitted these twice before (into my TT & latterly 987) and have just brought one for my 997.

http://www.iceboxauto.com/porsche-911-997-boxter-cayman-2005-2008-android-51-hl-8816gb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Cor...127975?hash=item1ccbbb3527:g:NjkAAOSw4yJdB0yv

ill be fitting it hopefully next week so i'll upload some pics.

Its full Android so you can put all sorts of media and GPS nav apps on for free.

I am about to order this unit as well - i ordered a different had unit that should have been plug and play and didn't even have sound..

question - was there any re-wiring required or was it plug and play for basic functionality - radio, power on, sound out etc? - I know I will need to wire in GPS, mic, DAB etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back