Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo mods

easternjets said:
There have been a lot of threads on here regarding 'which is the best system', what ever you go for I'm afraid that the word cheap doesn't figure much! Expect to pay £2000 upwards, they do come up S/H occasionally and if they do grab it straight away.
The only people to trust with a remap are probably 9e.
As I mentioned the intercoolers are an easy upgrade and do add quite a bit of power but again they're not cheap.

:agree: also, avoid cheap exhausts and non reputable tuners, they will cost you more in the end.

Personally I would put a remap right at the bottom of my wish list.
Do the intake and exhaust and if you can afford them a pair of up rated inter coolers then see what the car goes like, TBH if that still doesn't float your boat then i'd be surprised!
Just the sound off a good exhaust will make you think you've got 700 bhp under your right foot, I promise you the exhaust upgrade is worth every penny just for the pops and bangs when your in sport mode :hand:

Thanks guys. Any recommendations on exhausts at the 2k mark? A few pops and bangs would be nice. I heard the Europipe stage 2 exhaust Whixh sounds amazing but at circ 4500 it's way out the budget

This company are selling 'Kline' systems via Ebay so it might be worth giving them a call, the system for a 996 Turbo was just over £2 k.

Ramair Filters Ltd

Unit 3 Hatfield Farm
Oare
Marlborough
Wiltshire
SN8 4JE
United Kingdom

If I had a turbo, this is what I'd do:

1st: suspension: TPC Racing DSC magic box and a realignment
2nd: new rubber MPS Cup2 or 4S
3rd: upgrade brakes with fresh discs, uprated pads, braided lines and fresh fluid

1, 2 & 3 all in quick succession.

4th: add some noise with sports cats and catback
5th: add some cooling with bigger intercoolers

And finally:

6th: if you have a healthy engine, think about a remap and whatever supporting mods may be required (intake, injectors, clutch etc.). I can't really comment on this stage, as I don't run a Turbo, but the usual package on any turbo tends to involve a new intercooler, downpipe, intake, fuel injectors/fuel pump, maybe ignition coils...

The first mod i did on my 997 turbo was the DSC box, that transformed the handling. Then I fitted Michelin PS4S tyres, a GT2RS rear anti-roll bar as they are cheap and had Centre Gravity set the handling up. The difference in handling was now staggering. The tyres gave so much grip, even in the wet and you could actually "feel" the road. The GT2RS roll bar tightened up the turn in.

Once I got the car handling well, I eventually did the performance mods. If you are on a budget, the GT2RS intercoolers are cheap and pretty much bolt on - theres plenty of guides online showing how to fit them. This plus an exhaust, air filter, uprated clutch (if yours is a manual) & a remap will get you a nice power boost. If moneys not so tight, then you could go for the do88 big pack, do88 plendum, gt3 throttle body and get even more power.

One thing to remember though, these gen1 car are getting old now, so before you start modding id have the car thoroughly inspected and replace any bits which are worn or needing replacement. I did that before I did the performance mods and there was quite a few grand to spend to bring it up to scratch. All stuff which didnt really affect the running of the car but would have caused issues before long.

Oh, and a quick shifter is another good cheap mod to do!

As above :thumb:

Only thing is if you go to a free flowing cat, I think 200 cell is the minimum, you will have to have a remap other wise you'll be throwing up warning lights.

I see from your signature that you've had a Renault Clio, so you'll know yourself that Tyres, Brakes and handling are the keys to a good lap time! They're wicked little cars, if I had to buy a track car tomorrow it would be a Radical or a Clio.

Anyone got a part number or a source for the GT2 RS roll bar ?

rabbitstew said:
The first mod i did on my 997 turbo was the DSC box, that transformed the handling. Then I fitted Michelin PS4S tyres, a GT2RS rear anti-roll bar as they are cheap and had Centre Gravity set the handling up. The difference in handling was now staggering. The tyres gave so much grip, even in the wet and you could actually "feel" the road. The GT2RS roll bar tightened up the turn in.

Once I got the car handling well, I eventually did the performance mods. If you are on a budget, the GT2RS intercoolers are cheap and pretty much bolt on - theres plenty of guides online showing how to fit them. This plus an exhaust, air filter, uprated clutch (if yours is a manual) & a remap will get you a nice power boost. If moneys not so tight, then you could go for the do88 big pack, do88 plendum, gt3 throttle body and get even more power.

One thing to remember though, these gen1 car are getting old now, so before you start modding id have the car thoroughly inspected and replace any bits which are worn or needing replacement. I did that before I did the performance mods and there was quite a few grand to spend to bring it up to scratch. All stuff which didnt really affect the running of the car but would have caused issues before long.

Oh, and a quick shifter is another good cheap mod to do!

What setting did Chris put rear GT2 anti roll bar on out of interest? Luke you're more than welcome to pop over and I'm happy to run you through various mods - congrats ;)

Gazc2 said:

997.333.701.96 for the GT2 ARB, and the associated bushes are 997.333.792.95

IMI A said:
What setting did Chris put rear GT2 anti roll bar on out of interest?

1.5 is what he put it at. Until then I hadnt even thought you could do that but he said it was fine.

rabbitstew said:
Gazc2 said:

IMI A said:

1.5 is what he put it at. Until then I hadnt even thought you could do that but he said it was fine.

cheers just checked on design 911 Bar is £402 and bushes are £18.50

Gazc2 said:
rabbitstew said:
Gazc2 said:

IMI A said:

cheers just checked on design 911 Bar is £402 and bushes are £18.50

You also need 2 of the bushes. Just checked and I paid the same but 3 years ago for mine. Always worth checking at porsche directly as its a stock porsche part.

Thanks for the responses.

What's the benefit of the gt2 anti roll bar over stock ?

easternjets said:
As above :thumb:

Only thing is if you go to a free flowing cat, I think 200 cell is the minimum, you will have to have a remap other wise you'll be throwing up warning lights.

I see from your signature that you've had a Renault Clio, so you'll know yourself that Tyres, Brakes and handling are the keys to a good lap time! They're wicked little cars, if I had to buy a track car tomorrow it would be a Radical or a Clio.

The little clio was good fun. Sold now. Foot to the floor even on the corners. Bedford is a great track with lots of run off too. I was debating buying a Megane r26 to run alongside the c4s but somehow I've found myself in a 997TT instead.

Lukec4s said:
Thanks for the responses.

What's the benefit of the gt2 anti roll bar over stock ?

Its a lot thicker/stiffer and also 3 point adjustable. It makes the car turn into corners a lot quicker

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back