Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying Advice Please

b2thomas

Silverstone
Hi all

I am new to the forum but am finally in the position very shortly to buy my first 911 :) I have lusted over these cars forever and am a massive Porsche fan.

I am sure there are helpful threads on here already so please point me in the right direction if so to avoid having to repeat anything.

Basically I am looking for a gen 2 997. Budget is going to be up to £32-33k.

Ideally I want an S and probably manual. A couple of questions if you don't mind

Is the early PDK on these cars a bit juddery? I have read suggestions of the same but not sure if that's right. I have driven newer PDKs which are great and would certainly be ok with getting one if the rumours aren't true.

Would I notice the difference in an S compared to standard carerra? I'd be ok with bogo carerra if negligible difference.

As for buying, I am thinking independent and have heard good things about Ashgood, Portiacraft, Cridfords - any other recommendations? If I went indy would you still recommend PPI?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer and sure I will have more questions as hunt continues.

Early software on the PDK,s did cause a few issues .. this can be updated and will cure most of the problems .

The thing to remember is a PDK is Not an automatic gearbox .. its a non clutch manual or a manual automatic to put it a different way .... very different beasts but imho the PDK is awesome .

You will have issues when cold moving off especially if on a lock but you will get used to it .. tyre scrub in this situation sounds awful but it is normal ... the car will judder and the tyres feel like they bounce .

Test drive a PDK if you haven't already .. best way to see if it suits you .

An S all day long imho .

Virgin 911 has good reviews , i think it's Tim you want to speak to .

Harbour cars is another ..

PPI all day long and twice on a Sunday .. 30 K and you are taking a salesman advice that its a good car .. i doubt you would buy a house with no checking .. this is the second most expensive purchase you will make other than that .. get it checked young man :)

No offence to any salesman hurt in this post .

Welcome to the forum b2thomas, you've come to the right place for advice - including a decent search facility as you've perhaps already found.
I had a 997.2 C2 (non-S) PDK so can answer your two questions:
1) the PDK on my 2011 car was really smooth 98% of the time. Now and then, in Sport mode, the downshifts when coming to a halt were a bit clunky, but otherwise it was excellent. I did, however, find it made the driving experience a bit detached, and I now have a manual (993) and greatly enjoy the simple pleasure of changing gear. Something for you to think about, I guess.
2) the C2 is, in my opinion, 95% of the car that the C2S is but for 85% of the price. Manual gen 2's are not plentiful, and a budget of £32k for a manual "S" is a bit optimistic. It might get you a 3.6 manual in a private sale though - it's definitely a buyer's market at present.

As for dealers, well as Iain (deMort) says, 911Virgin and Harbour Cars are highly thought of, as are RSJ, Dove House, JZM and Northway to name some in the South. Yes definitely get a PPI! I recommend porscheinspections.com who for £400 will give you a very thorough report.

Gen 2 997's are great cars, and arguably the sweet spot of used 911's, with the feel of proper sports cars but reasonably modern. Enjoy the hunt!
Regards, Mike.

Thanks deMort and Counter Of Beans for the swift responses - I hear you on the PPI - will definitely get one done.

Good to hear about PDK as well. This will certainly broaden search.

I have a manual 997.2 carrera & love it. I got it in 2015 and it's the longest I've kept a car.

I have no regrets that it's not an 'S'. It doesn't feel underpowered, if you want to go quickly you buy a motorbike. The fun is in the corners.

If you're near Derby you're welcome to come and have a nosey.

And welcome to the forum :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back