Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crook Lock

911KSM

Monza
Hi,

Had a few cars stolen from where I live in Essex recently and leave my car on the drive. Does anyone use a crook lock on for their 997.

I want to make sure I don't get one that damages the leather on the wheel or handbrake.

Kevin.

I purchased a crook lock and put foam pipe lagging around it where it touches the wheel. It protects the wheel and stops it being marked.

You might as well use toothpicks for all the good they do.

911KSM said:
Hi,

Had a few cars stolen from where I live in Essex recently and leave my car on the drive. Does anyone use a crook lock on for their 997.

I want to make sure I don't get one that damages the leather on the wheel or handbrake.

Kevin.

How many were 911's?

FZP said:
You might as well use toothpicks for all the good they do.

Basically that in a nut shell ! They're off in seconds !

You guys are right,

It's actually 15 seconds on average.

But given most happen in the middle of the night there's a small chance You might hear them taking the rattling contraption off the car!

I've had several cars nicked down my road, to be honest most are keyless entry. Well all. Keyless entry is shite! Bit like contactless cards, I had my wallet nicked and they spent over £200 on 4 cards. Sods!

I was in the same position as 911ksm, and I live in Essex. If it buys you an extra 10/20sec then I think it's worth a go.

Deterent as much as anything I would think. I expect many of the crooks have never had to deal with a crooklock, they come equipped with a computer these days. If they have a road with a bunch of cars on it with possible keyless entry they are more likely to go for the one with no visible deterents, no security lights or cameras I would have thought. Unfortunately, you need to make your car less desirable than the bloke's down the road. Don't be the bloke down the road.

MC

I think you would need to be fairly determined to remove a disklok without a key

I put a Stoplock Pro on mine when left on street, takes <10secs to put on and off, doesn't damage any trim and is a big visual deterrent IMO.

kas750 said:
I think you would need to be fairly determined to remove a disklok without a key

To be fair you have to be pretty determined to remove one with a key !!

They may have changed the lock but I had one on a defender about 10 years ago, some one had been at it with a pry bar in an attempt to Nick it, the lock was damaged, the AA man gave me a locksmiths number who injected some cryogenic ice in the lock and tapped it with a centre ouch !
:eek:

The locksmith said he'd removed hundreds like this, usually when the barrel gave up due to wear, I've not seen a car with a disk lock for years, I fitted a tap on the fuel line under the seat..... it was nicked but nit stopped before the end of the road ! Unfortunately it was torched setting fire to half a dozen other cars parked beside the road 😬

Have a Stoplock Pro 'Elite' (which has more of a curve to the arm than the standard Stoplock Pro) for my 991 and bought a cheap elasticated steering wheel cover, to protect the leather.

I originally bought the standard Stoplock Pro but felt it was that bit too tight on the wheel.

My car doesn't have keyless access, which I've always thought was a security liability, whatever the car.

Stoplock Pro 'Elite' - with deeper bend and larger clamps:
https://www.saxon-brands.com/product/stoplock/hg15000

Stoplock Carry Case - allows you to store it safely out of the main cabin, either in the boot (same width as the boot on the 991 - can't say for others) OR on the shelf behind the rear seats, without it rattling or flying around (the case has Velcro underneath, so sticks to the carpet):
https://www.saxon-brands.com/product/stoplock/hg15100

Steering Wheel Protector for Stoplock/Disklock:
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/d...MI8IyfteT55wIVxNDeCh02rAU4EAYYASABEgK9UPD_BwE

They're cheap and cheerful - mine's already got holes in it and it can be a pain to fit the Stoplock with it on BUT for the sake of a fiver and a few mins effort each time, it saves damaging the leather :thumb:

Thanks

Thanks for all your responses, I think I'll get the stoplock for my own peace of mind.

Kevin.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back