Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Distorting speakers

Stoddy

Spa-Francorchamps
Anyone recommend a speaker replacement kit, or upgrade please?
997.1 non Bose. But like my tunes so would love to get a better sound.
I think they're knackered as they distort really easily.

Having said that, getting a sports exhaust soon, so might not need any!!

Cheers,

Stoddy.

Are you sure it is the speakers? AFAIK the usual source of distortion in these cars tends to be the amp side rather than the speakers.

Do you have the 'Sound Package Plus'? Amp in the frunk behind the toolkit trim? If so, they often go, this leads to sound problems.

Is this it?
I know zero about sound kit.

Stoddy.

Attachments

• 9deee378_7815_47c8_bb2f_5abba3bd008b_160.jpeg
    9deee378_7815_47c8_bb2f_5abba3bd008b_160.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 3,350
Yup. It powers the bass speakers. They are awful and go easily. I've had mine fixed by Tore in Norway. Post it to him, send him money, he sends it back fixed with a nice warranty. Google him, something like "Tore Porsche Amp" and you will find him

Not saying it's definately that, might be worth asking a car audio shop to check it first.

Standard Speakers are actually pretty good, just underpowered.

Thanks man, I'll get on to it. :worship:

Another vote for Tore, he is a forum sponsor and the main man. Cheaper than getting it done in the UK too.

After 5 years of owning my 997.1 S, do I now realise why my speakers sound quite decent with a good level of bass. Your posts have made it clear, that I have the Sound Package Plus system. Luckily, a former owner fitted a Dension link, so I'm able to put my media on an old Ipod to use in the car.

This is exactly why forums are so great and I've been an avid member of them for many years. Well done chaps and keep up the good work.

These details are not going to geek out over themselves now are they.

If the amp isn't rated can't you just upgrade it?

Great response from Tore. Sent instructions on how to diagnose if the amp is buggered, how to remove it and package up for repair.

Watch this space!

:thumbs:

Money thrown at the crappy Porsche amps is money down the drain... there's probably nothing wrong with your amp, but if you still have the pcm just replacing this will instantly make the system sound much better.
If you really want you can junk the amp and put a decent one in its place, no point throwing good money at a bad unit IMO

Hertsdriver said:
Money thrown at the crappy Porsche amps is money down the drain... there's probably nothing wrong with your amp, but if you still have the pcm just replacing this will instantly make the system sound much better.
If you really want you can junk the amp and put a decent one in its place, no point throwing good money at a bad unit IMO

Once Tore has fixed it, he puts a 5 year warranty on it. They aren't "crappy", they just fail in a known way.

The problem with the "sound package plus" is the speakers are really quite good, but don't get enough power to really push the sub's properly.

What size are the large non bose drivers in the door ?...one of mine has blown so needs to be replaced

Anybody ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back