Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

plug in frunk with wire hanging off - what is it

buttertubs

Silverstone
recently bought a 997 C4S gen 1 and under the carpet in the frunk there's a plug on the right hand side that has a wire hanging off it. Anyone know what it is?

The car runs fine.

49578697003_35768f55d9_k.jpg
[/url]Untitled by , on Flickr[/img]

The Nav DVD unit seems to be in two places on these cars ,sometimes its located actually in the Frunk section in a corner of the luggage space and sometimes its hidden under the plastic trim in a cubby hole up by the battery , I am thinking that they ran wiring to both those locations at the factory and then used one one when they decided where to mount the Nav DVD unit and the other became redundant and was covered over with carpet. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
The Nav DVD unit seems to be in two places on these cars ,sometimes its located actually in the Frunk section in a corner of the luggage space and sometimes its hidden under the plastic trim in a cubby hole up by the battery , I am thinking that they ran wiring to both those locations at the factory and then used one one when they decided where to mount the Nav DVD unit and the other became redundant and was covered over with carpet. :thumb:

you are correct, it is near the Nav DVD unit but I'm unsure if it's actually connected to it. Since everything appears to be working fine I'm not sure whether to leave it or dig a little deeper and see if I can work out what the plug in question is for.

buttertubs said:
Phil 997 said:

you are correct, it is near the Nav DVD unit but I'm unsure if it's actually connected to it. Since everything appears to be working fine I'm not sure whether to leave it or dig a little deeper and see if I can work out what the plug in question is for.

Ah now thats thrown me , your Nav DVD is one thats located in the actual Frunk luggage section but its not using that connection but its all working ok . I think as you say you have options 1/ forget about it and go have a cup of coffee :grin: 2/ go get a cup of coffee and have some sherlock time tracing where it goes .3/ ask member deMort what it might be as he's a Porsche tech, coffee is optional with this option :floor:

White , 3 sugars and extra milk please .

Edit .. sorry .. didnt realise i had to answer :)

That looks very much like a cd changer wiring plug... it's also exactly the same plug and wire colours for a Nav dvd drive so basically it can be either .

As you have a nav unit fitted and it works then it's obviously for a cd changer.

I would hazard a guess that the wiring is standard and the cd changer was never fitted .. if it has been removed then you would have x2 orange wires in the same place .. this is the MOST lead and again if removed there would be a link to join them ( resend the signal back around the loop ) .

non fitted cd changer plug which from the looks of it is corroded with one wire not connected ... get some insulation tape and wrap it up please .. just in case it's still live .

deMort said:
White , 3 sugars and extra milk please .

Edit .. sorry .. didnt realise i had to answer :)

That looks very much like a cd changer wiring plug... it's also exactly the same plug and wire colours for a Nav dvd drive so basically it can be either .

As you have a nav unit fitted and it works then it's obviously for a cd changer.

I would hazard a guess that the wiring is standard and the cd changer was never fitted .. if it has been removed then you would have x2 orange wires in the same place .. this is the MOST lead and again if removed there would be a link to join them ( resend the signal back around the loop ) .

non fitted cd changer plug which from the looks of it is corroded with one wire not connected ... get some insulation tape and wrap it up please .. just in case it's still live .

many thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Perfect Ian, I knew you would be the guy to know. hope alls well with you and the family mate and hopefully catch up again during the summer :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Perfect Ian, I knew you would be the guy to know. hope alls well with you and the family mate and hopefully catch up again during the summer :thumb: :thumb:

Bless you young man ..

Everything is fine here .. Ruth is currently getting an awful lot of vaccinations for the trip in july .. i'll update when i have something to add there !

we do need to catch up if possible .. the last i saw of you was a loud noise and you disappearing over the bridge into the distance :floor:

The neighbours did not complain so i guess they also like the sound of your exhaust !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back