Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front coolant hoses...again!

drmark

Nurburgring
3 years after replacing all the coolant hoses at the front and the bloody things are corroded and weeping again. AND I covered any joints I could reach in silicone grease after they were put in. Why does Porsche produce such crap? :frustrated:

That's annoying... I have a weep from a connection near the radiator. There must be a better means of fixing them together. Perhaps it's caused by the expansion and contraction at the joints due to heat cycles.

Mine have also been weeping for sometime and my Indi did say that even after a costly replacement, it'll only be a matter of time before it would all happen again! So, I've just accumulated this into my maintenance routine of topping up the coolant every few months as required.

That's disappointing, I've just replaced all mine, not a cheap or easy job if you don't have a lift. I'm not looking forward to doing it again in three years!

I replaced a few on my car, kept trying to figure out why they weeped after replacing O ring and cleaning thoroughly.
What I found is that 'stuff' gets under the alloy ring and as it builds up it swells and cracks the alloy ring, only hairline but enough for the coolant to leak out. Not sure how you can stop it happening. Not cheap to buy either, got mine from D 911.

Mine are weeping a tad..... i had thougt about packing some silicone sealant in there ? applying some of silver heat tape over the joints that they use on commercial heating ?

A mate told me the crud gets in there....... He's a proffesional mechanic ! woreked for VW in hannover for nearly 10 years and his solution was to apply grease to the collars, "Won't it melt?" i asked ......
:dont know:
:floor:

So we kind of came up with the silicone paste, His idea ?
Silicone Bath sealant.... My idea ?

And belt and braces with some silver duct tape ?

When I collected my hose kit I discussed this with the parts guy at Porsche Reading, he disappeared into the workshop to ask the techs what they'd recommend and apparently they brush a healthy dollop of clear waxoyl around the inside of the connections before inserting them and clipping then into position, so that's what I did.

If they last longer than 3 years I'll consider it a win.

What do these joints look like in their component parts?

How do other manufacturers make such joints so they don't leak?

When I dissected the ones on my car it looked like salt crystals that were under the alloy ring, I think they might have come from the coolant weeping through then the water evaporates and leaves the crystals to accumulate and eventually crack the ring.
When I say hairline crack it really was barely visible.
I fitted the new ones with a load of Waxoyl smothered liberally all over the coupling. It's a clever system Porsche use, very easy to fit hoses and once the locking clips on they appear very secure, it's just this fault that fails them.
Don't know if the quality of the coolant comes into the equation but I always use high quality pre mixed coolant as I believe they use distilled water instead of regular tap water.

Im suprised yours have only lasted 3 years .. they should last a lot longer i would have thought .

The problem in my eyes is the gap between the metal collar with the rubber seal on it and the rubber pipe .

I feel water sits in there and rots them from the inside so to speak .

When replacing them i spray as much waxoyl in that gap as i can.

I think in your case i would buy a pot of axle grease .. a spatula or screwdriver and force as much as you can into this gap when replacing the pipes .

I covered mine in red rubber grease when I did mine, I'm hoping it has helped :dont know:
But if you do use grease, be very careful which type you use, as it can react with the rubber and turn it soft.

deMort said:
Im suprised yours have only lasted 3 years .. they should last a lot longer i would have thought .

The problem in my eyes is the gap between the metal collar with the rubber seal on it and the rubber pipe .

I feel water sits in there and rots them from the inside so to speak .

When replacing them i spray as much waxoyl in that gap as i can.

I think in your case i would buy a pot of axle grease .. a spatula or screwdriver and force as much as you can into this gap when replacing the pipes .

Do you smear some inside the couplings - or just on the outside?

I think Gray79 idea is the best solution .. rubber grease and push it into the gap between the rubber and the collar and also smear it over any part of the metal you can get at .

All you are trying to do is stop water getting inside that gap and touching the metal pipes / collars .

I use wax oil or a derivative of but rubber grease in your case might be more suitable if they are failing this quick for you ... smear it liberally over every metal part as well .

You can use axle grease but as Gray79 has know reminded me .. rubber grease is thicker so will stay put better than axle grease .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back