Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 C4S front end knocking noise over speed bumps

This morning was a warmer morning than last week.... There was no noise..
I cant imagine the car is self healing, but I can imagine that last week it was cold enough for some metal work to have shrunk a bit to make something loose?... or oil in some joints to be a little cold...?
Was perfect this morning though!

I was barely aware of a slight knock/clank on my the front end of my car but it was pointed out to me by the guys at Center Gravity. They knew what it was instantly, N/S front diagonal arm. Got both done as I was in for a full geo set up. On first inspection it looked like the rubbers were fine and didn't show signs of excessive wear but the fault was demonstrated to me once the old one was removed from the car. 2010 C4S @ 43k miles. Just some info to add/dismiss from your list.

Monkeynutz said:
I was barely aware of a slight knock/clank on my the front end of my car but it was pointed out to me by the guys at Center Gravity. They knew what it was instantly, N/S front diagonal arm. Got both done as I was in for a full geo set up. On first inspection it looked like the rubbers were fine and didn't show signs of excessive wear but the fault was demonstrated to me once the old one was removed from the car. 2010 C4S @ 43k miles. Just some info to add/dismiss from your list.

Thanks and yes I think this will help as it does sound similar. May I ask what you gained from the full geo set up? I like the thought os someone just going round the car and checking for anything that might cause a potential future breakage..

1. Body work should not move unless it's the rear spoiler
2. If you drive the car on a really bumpy roads and the knock sounds like it's coming from the front/middle third of the car, coffin arms
3. If it's coming from the outer third of the front of the car, then it could be drop links/ track rod ends/eye.
Not a big deal,(excluding the bodywork issue) as you're now in the window of replacing these consumables.
Good luck with the remediation

FZP said:
1. Body work should not move unless it's the rear spoiler
2. If you drive the car on a really bumpy roads and the knock sounds like it's coming from the front/middle third of the car, coffin arms
3. If it's coming from the outer third of the front of the car, then it could be drop links/ track rod ends/eye.
Not a big deal,(excluding the bodywork issue) as you're now in the window of replacing these consumables.
Good luck with the remediation

Thanks for that! I think the sound is very close to the N/S wheel so probably in '3.' from your options. thanks!

jons997 said:
Monkeynutz said:

Thanks and yes I think this will help as it does sound similar. May I ask what you gained from the full geo set up? I like the thought os someone just going round the car and checking for anything that might cause a potential future breakage..

For me it was peace of mind firstly that everything was as it should be as I was due to do a run across the West coast of Scotland and a run to the Spa Classic. Secondly I had heard so many good things about how people say that their car always feels better having had it done and having just put on a new set of Michelin PS4S it seemed like a good idea. The car did feel better, a lot better.

Spending time with the guys at Center Gravity while they go over the car is a real experience in itself. A proper geo and inspection by experts is worth the money imho.

So.... to finally close this thread. The clanking persisted so I took the car back to RSJ, the only thing the guy there (Richard) could imagine (after getting the car up the ramp and seeing if anything was loose) was the top mounts. So he swapped them over and indeed one was badly damaged! the central bushing was off centre and bashed in. So both top mounts changed and bearings done while they were at it. And hallelujah! no more clanking!
All sorted within the warranty so thanks to RSJ for honouring that and fixing the clank!
Thanks everyone for your help on this!

The perfect outcome - thanks for updating.

Usual suspects

On my 996 and 997 I had similar on the 996 it was the front over bumps on the 997.2 it was the rear.

The usual suspects are coffin arms or wishbones.

Decent pattern parts are not expensive.

Even on a ramp though it can be difficult to tell which it is.

On my 997.2 did not bother guessing and changed both on the rear - problem solved - less than £400 all in.

Regards
Glen

What did RJS say about the moving front wings? Where thy within normal tolerances? Congrats on the top mount fix.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back