Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM upgrade - Anyone done it recently ?

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
There are lots of posts on here about upgrading PCM to something more modern, but the ones I have found are a little dated. With technology moving as quickly as it does I wondered if anyone had replaced their head unit recently.

I have a Gen 1 with steering wheel controls and Bose

Can anyone recommend a 1 stop shop where I can get everything? Happy to fit it myself but unsure what I do and don't need.

Similar here - Gen2 with BOSE and mf steering wheel, seeking upgrades to maps, nav and Bluetooth etc

I'm in a Gen 2 - looking at getting a pioneer or Kenwood. With CarPlay, DAB, etc...

Quoted at about £800 all in. Just looking into it. Be nice to hear from someone who has already done it.

Hifi Install

I've had many installs done at Unique in Lightwater
https://www.uniquecarsound.com/
Their attention to detail is excellent, great pricing etc and people come to them from across the UK due to huge Mercedes following and what they can do for the Mercedes Command system.
That being said they did a great double din, amp, and speaker install in my previous 4s 996 many years ago along with another stealth unstall in my Gallardo.
Give them a call and tell them Greg Wheeler sent you.. Its well worth the trip...

I posted in the other thread but here's my past 996 C4s many mooins ago... read my post in the other duplicate thread.....

Attachments

• alpine_822.jpg
    alpine_822.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7,217
I went from this .......

mEShHya.jpg

To this.....

mL1XNiJ.jpg

Mainly as I wanted DAB!
Keep all the steering wheel controls and now got hands free. (It's BOSE as well)
Happy all round with it 👍

Android PCM Replacement

Ive fitted in the last two weeks an Android unit that is specifically designed for the 997 & 987 double din aperture.

Its the 3rd ive fitted and i couldn't be more pleased with them.

As there Android i can connect to my phone or home router and download apps from the Google Play store. Ive currently got x 3 Navigation apps and a customised media player for MP3 files or Bluetooth streaming.

NB. The previous owner had already changed the colour of the center console from silver to black.

Attachments

• 20200216_093619_140.jpg
    20200216_093619_140.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 7,168
  • 20200216_093640_111.jpg
    20200216_093640_111.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 7,168
I just fitted a rennline magnetic phone holder to the side of the PCM and put my phone there, the screen is almost as large as the PCM so I have the best of both worlds.......I also get to retain the ability to change some functions on the car via the PCM3 (ie if you have sport chrono you also get more car setting options via PCM)......worked for me great last year

I have Bluetooth music streamed via a plug in module fitted in the armrest so I can do everything via the phone and car speakers using an interface I use all the time. I also use the free tom tom amigo app in overlay mode, I've set it to boot up automatically when the phone connects to the cars Bluetooth and run it in overlay mode for camera alerts ie you only need to get in the car and you have camera alerts.....even works with the phone in my pocket as I can hear it warning me lol

Nb 987.2 and samsung 10 5G phone (large screen)

http://caraudiosecurity.com/ - They are in Hayes, the owner has a 997 GT3 and a 993.

Just had mine replaced with a Kenwood 8019. What a transformation!
It has some buttons and has a touch screen. Volume is done with updown buttons and I can activate Siri with a button.
It is night and day. I can now use Waze safely and make calls using Siri and have messages read out to me that I can reply to with voice instructions.
DAB radio is good and I can use all my radio apps via carplay.

Cost wise I got the stereo new off ebay for £390, and the fitting plus fitting kit was £170 and £175.
I have had the car several months now and had been working out if I should replace the PCM or not. Glad I did as it has transformed things fro me.

Fulla any pics of your kenwood install :thumb:

Gazc2 said:
Fulla any pics of your kenwood install :thumb:
I'll get some and post them up tomorrow.

Couple of quick photos taken when i get home.The screen is a touch screen but i also like that this unit has button. Especially helpful are the up & down for volume and the one button that activates siri for voice control.
I can take more tomorrow to show Waze or Google maps. The next Kenwood model up has inbuilt nav but i do not see the point as i can bluetooth,wifi,cable my phone and the unit has a gps arial if you loose phone coverage.

Attachments

• cc352c4a_5454_4497_aeb7_b8f5928c8739_192.jpeg
    cc352c4a_5454_4497_aeb7_b8f5928c8739_192.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6,533
  • 5e9dc3f5_0721_4770_a8a8_98afa8b957d4_618.jpeg
    5e9dc3f5_0721_4770_a8a8_98afa8b957d4_618.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 6,533
Thanks for that looks just the job think I am going to colour code the surrounds to my center console :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back