Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S ring of rust on front discs

4076simon

Had my 996 C4S since September. Always thought a long drive with some enthusiastic braking would get rid of ring of rust on discs. Just driven 150 miles to Devon where she's going in for some paint and the rust ring about 1 inch deep down from circumference is still there. Previous owner put new callipers on, Something is not right. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• 55c87d42_3f18_4286_a0d8_02389584c608_102.jpeg
    55c87d42_3f18_4286_a0d8_02389584c608_102.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2,702
You may get rid of that if you fit new pads or cane the arse off it for a while.
No rustys rings on any of my cars :hand: :D

Looks like the wrong pads are in for those discs/calipers. Pad should run out all the way to the edge of the disc......and it isn't. :dont know:

Definitely something not right there 4076simon, you should have a very small lip of maybe 2mm wide at the circumference of the disk and another on the inner diameter as the disk face meets the weather groove around the top hat diameter. Here is a photo of mine on the Boxster the day I swapped them all for new ones :thumb:

FzDzGoK.jpg
:thumb:

When you say new callipers, did they fit the right ones? Are they the Turbo spec 'big reds'?

Thanks Guys, previous owner has now assured me that new callipers were exchanged recon C4S/turbo , so we'll change pads and go from there. Can't think discs would be too big?
Cheers

The disks can't be too big.

I would remove one of the existing pads, check the surface of the pad for even wear then measure the width of the pad, next measure the swept area on the face of the disk - obviously it should match - if not they're the wrong pads. Simples. :D

This thread has come up just as I have got mine back from mot and service, they changed the front pads and I have exactly the same around the outside of my discs. I have checked the part number of the pads they used, and they should be correct for the car. I haven't had chance to take the wheels off and have a look what is happening yet. :dont know:

I changed pads all round last week. One of the fronts had started to break up - tell tale sign was band of rust on the disc there there was no pad surface to make contact!

Attachments

• e826327b_25b3_438a_beb9_46e3ff954132_256.jpeg
    e826327b_25b3_438a_beb9_46e3ff954132_256.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2,407
Hi All
Just an update on this. it appears the reason that the brake pads were not touching the outer inch of the discs is that the wrong brake pad fitting kit was used. it had slipped on both sides and was jamming the upper piston, preventing it from extending and pushing the pad onto the discs. (appears to be the kit for the rear callipers!!) Drove home from the excellent AW Motorsports in Southbourne last night with brakes that were a pleasure to use and no rusty ring around the brake disc edge!
Two new front brake pad fitting kits at £42.50 each from Porsche and an mot with no advisories! (Then and evening of cleaning..;-)

Haha Sorry, only one kit needed! I was looking at the 2 x light bulbs it needed on the invoice. It's and age thing...

Here is the issue!

Attachments

• img_7223_468.jpg
    img_7223_468.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 1,921

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back