Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS again - sorry

Ok, great - that technical experience may be why they fitted the bearing but not the oil supply, as the oil supply mod is running unfiltered oil directly into the bearing from the sump pickup.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

More chance of a chain snapping or valve dropping than the bearing failing. But you've got to read between the lines with these organisations offering remedies. If I designed an unbreakable cam chain and got it out to market, all these places would be straight on it capitalising on your fear, saying the original chains are prone to failing, buy our everlasting upgraded chains........for only ££££!......but because there isn't a 'fix' for the chains, they have no interest in them.

You can buy on of these off me for £30 if you need your mind putting at rest. It will also make your car more sellable when you come to off load it :wack:

RIpmN4o.jpg

:floor:

That certificate is awesome...

As others have said get your oil checked - you can even send a sample away to Millers Oils who will analyse the amount of metals in the oil for you and send you back a full report -

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/oil-analysis/

Then my only other advice is to try and save a bit of cash each month into a "Porsche Fund" and get out and enjoy your car. If the worst happens hopefully you will have saved up a little cash to offset the cost of the rebuild. But think of it as an opportunity to perhaps improve the engine too at the same time...

:thumb:

adamw said:
Hi guys
As allot of you will be aware I recently acquired a lovely 996.1 C2 (marky911's old car). Being an early car {98} this has the dual row bearing fitted and the car is on circa 70k miles.
Part of the reason I wanted an earlier car was the dual row bearing as if read that this was known to be the more reliable solution in the 996.
The cars been extremely well cared for with regular oil changes and any work needed.

When purchasing the car I was asked by the garage that inspected the car (PPi) if the IMS had been changed? My answer was that it hadn't and I didn't intend to because of the more reliable dual row bearing. I was advised these still fail (which I know) but thought the risks were lower.
The thing is, this has now put a doubt in my mind.

This car had a new clutch circa 2k ago and Mark got the IMS checked at the time and was advised it was found to be silky smooth with no play.
At this time the cover was flipped off (Hartech advice) to allow fresh oil to get in and the original bearing was left in.

Now, I know there are aftermarket solutions (LN and EPS etc) which I've done some research on.
* LN ceramic - Not sure on LN ceramic as this isn't a perm fix and i think failures have been reported (correct me if I'm wrong).
* LN 'soliton" - silly money (Over 2k plus vat) just parts and I'm not sure of the reliability of this really.
* EPS - I liked the sound of this cylindrical bearing but when I dug a little deeper read some negative reviews about 'thrust pressure"

Trouble is I'm not sure there is an after market solution that truly 100% mitigates this risk ???

Question is do I :

A - Stick with the existing dual row that was checked and confirmed in good shape 2k miles ago and stop worrying

B - Do some more research and look to pay out for an aftermarket 'upgrade"

If B, any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

I asked the same question on x2 Porsche Facebook pages:
* A global Porsche page where the responses were mainly from people in the US saying fit LN!
* Porsche owners UK where the consensus was mainly leave as is!

Now im asking the experts - 911uk

Thanks for listening guys and input much appreciated

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Was the grease seal left off the original dual row bearing while they were in there?

cnavarro said:
adamw said:
Hi guys
As allot of you will be aware I recently acquired a lovely 996.1 C2 (marky911's old car). Being an early car {98} this has the dual row bearing fitted and the car is on circa 70k miles.
Part of the reason I wanted an earlier car was the dual row bearing as if read that this was known to be the more reliable solution in the 996.
The cars been extremely well cared for with regular oil changes and any work needed.

When purchasing the car I was asked by the garage that inspected the car (PPi) if the IMS had been changed? My answer was that it hadn't and I didn't intend to because of the more reliable dual row bearing. I was advised these still fail (which I know) but thought the risks were lower.

This car had a new clutch circa 2k ago and Mark got the IMS checked at the time and was advised it was found to be silky smooth with no play.
At this time the cover was flipped off (Hartech advice) to allow fresh oil to get in and the original bearing was left in.

Now, I know there are aftermarket solutions (LN and EPS etc) which I've done some research on.
* LN ceramic - Not sure on LN ceramic as this isn't a perm fix and i think failures have been reported (correct me if I'm wrong).
* LN 'soliton" - silly money (Over 2k plus vat) just parts and I'm not sure of the reliability of this really.
* EPS - I liked the sound of this cylindrical bearing but when I dug a little deeper read some negative reviews about 'thrust pressure"

Trouble is I'm not sure there is an after market solution that truly 100% mitigates this risk ???

Question is do I :

A - Stick with the existing dual row that was checked and confirmed in good shape 2k miles ago and stop worrying

* A global Porsche page where the responses were mainly from people in the US saying fit LN!

Was the grease seal left off the original dual row bearing while they were in there?

It was indeed

adamw said:
cnavarro said:
adamw said:
Hi guys

Question is do I :

It was indeed

Adding a magnetic drain plug and checking the filter at every oil change is probably ok to do. I would go with a shorter drain interval and use a quality 5w40, like Millers.

It's just a shame they didn't change the bearing while they were in there as the labor time was already spent getting there.

To answer your question on IMS Retrofits, there have been no confirmed failures of any dual row LN ceramic bearing. There were a few single rows over the years, but most were not installed correctly or the engines were already hurt.

Zero issues with the IMS Solution either - we even had a shop forget to install the oil line and filter adapter to feed the plain bearing and it survived just with splash lubrication until the engine was shut off when the customer got home and the car marked its territory (oil leaked out of the sump through the oil feed hole in the solution flange). It was inspected with no damage and oil feed added.

Attachments

• screenshot_2020_02_15_at_182812_411.png
    screenshot_2020_02_15_at_182812_411.png
    707.3 KB · Views: 1,025
Thanks again for all the very useful posts and information. I've been watching the thread with interest.
Especially the certificate post Alex - might take one of those :hand:

I think the consensus seems to be "leave be" but I guess for me I just need to consider if it'll sit better with me and my ownership swapping out for a shiny new one. I'll think on :dont know:

As per the post re 'why only the IMS, lots more can fail".. I do realise this and understand. I guess it's just an attempt to attend to a known weak spot. The bores were scoped when purchased and all in really great shape. I realise there are other things that can go wrong too but the engines only got circa 70k on and has been well looked after so figure if I keep up the maintenance I'll take my chances :grin:

Thanks again all :thumbs:

adamw said:
I realise there are other things that can go wrong too but the engines only got circa 70k on and has been well looked after so figure if I keep up the maintenance I'll take my chances :grin:

If it was a keeper that is probably what I would do. I'd run it for another 30k or so miles whilst keeping an eye on the oil when changed, then get a rebuild done with new bearings and the later big bearing IMS whilst the block is apart.

Save 50p per mile in to a pot when you are driving and by the time you need it you will have enough for an absolutely cracking rebuild on the engine to address all weaknesses and have it better than new.

MC

I Need to do some investigation work into what went on with mine
Mines a 2000 built 2001 registered 3.4 with some crossover equipment and as far as I was aware when I purchased it on around 56k it was on its original ims

It's now on 130k
Its had a few clutches and 2 flywheel changes in my ownership
The most recent one was at zentrum in nottingham who I asked to have a check for any play in the IMS for me
On collection I was told it's either had a new engine or a rebuild as on inspection it has the larger non servicable IMS

Checking your engine number against the log book would be a good start.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back