Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dyno recommendations please

G11ATA

Good evening I'm looking to have my 993 turbo rolling road tested to see how she is performing. My problem is most people are not interested as they say they can't keep it cool enough. I have spoke to Charlie at Surrey rolling road and he also is not willing to do a power run. Could some please point me in the direction of someone reputable in the Berkshire area? Thanks

I will do it for you ...for free too :dont know:

:grin:

Rolling roads are only really good for comparing before and after performance mods. A 5% variation will give you a figure you maybe well happy with or very unhappy with.

Billy Bumpsteer said:
Rolling roads are only really good for comparing before and after performance mods. A 5% variation will give you a figure you maybe well happy with or very unhappy with.
I am about to carry out some mods and this is the reason why I would like to know how she is performing at the moment.

Billy Bumpsteer said:
Great, good luck, what mods out of interest?
K24 turbos, secan intercooler, injectors, equal length manifolds with straight pipes, Motech management

Who is doing the work ? They may be able to suggest, but when I see a Secan intercooler is being fitted, I'd be tempted to put it on Neil Bainbridges engine dyno :) That said, I think there is a place in Aylesbury that has the old G-Force dyno and I think they used to dyno GT2's in period etc. DS Automotive.

You need a dyno setup for a rear engine car. 9m In warrington have that setup but I guess they are no good location wise to you.

The accepted expert to benchmark what you are doing is Wayne Schofield but again he is based North of Manchester. He now has his own air cooled syno setup (he does 9M's bespoke tuning and did most of the race teams in the UK) Every time I have been there to see him there are cars from all over the country for the exact reasons you want yours doing.

Where you are fitting known mods such as these Wayne will literally be able to tell you what difference he would expect before you fit them etc.....

To me its well worth you taking a weekend break near Rochdale and go see Wayne ;-)

https://chipwizards.co.uk/

Dyno'd a couple of my bikes. quite an unnerving experience having your P&J thrashed to death in front of you :eek:

I am in agreement with jonitt, Wayne at Chipwizards he also helps with tuning for the new Hartech 3.9 conventions . Its worth the drive to Bolton area. Very straight guy no BS if some mod doesn't work right he will tell you. he removed my fabspeed carbon induction kit because the stock airbox with BMC filters made the car run better and improved the power curve. he was happy to play around with both options to get the best out of the car. :thumb: :thumb:

Years ago when I was playing about with uprated turbos and a mapped ECU on my 993tt I was using the 60-130 acceleration time as a benchmark. Early Sunday mornings were best. ;)

I used a Race Technology datalogger and was also logging boost and intake air temps. I also did some intercooler testing at Brungtingthorpe comparing stock, 9M prototype and Secan intercoolers. The Secan was clearly the best but it should have been given its alleged 5 figure price.

Motronic on a 993tt works very well and does a good job protecting the engine by pulling first boost and then timing if the IAT is too high or knock is detected. You're not asking for advice but why move away from Motronic?

Not sure why one power run would make the car overheat?

I think that power runs are useful things to check that the fueling is ok. Charlie stopped a power run on my last TVR as it was far too lean. It certainly explained why the car didn't feel right on the road!

If you are close to Charlie, then this person might be a bit to far away but Joolz is highly respected in the TVR world and has a free-stranding rolling road. I was one of his 1st customers to remap the Lucas FI system and gave him the car to get it working properly with the capacity increase the previous owner had completed without touching the fuelling.

He might not be interested in other work but worth speaking to. He is also a thoroughly decent man.

http://www.kitsandclassics.co.uk/Rolling-Road-Checklist/

Without sufficient airflow the intercooler will quickly heat soak and the engine will reduce boost and timing for self protection.

In the summer it's surprising how warm the intercooler gets when sitting in traffic and how quickly it cools off when you're on the move.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back