Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dial Surround Dimensions: 997 Vs 991

911Time

Hi Guys,

I admit this may seem like an odd question but would someone be able to confirm what the individual dial surround dimensions i.e the rings that go around the gauges are for the 997?

I've been looking at some matt aluminium gauge surrounds for my 991 (to match the one on my Sport Chrono clock) but the company I've approached say they don't offer them for the 991 - only for the 997 etc.

Just wondered whether the gauge surrounds for the 5 dials in a 997 were actually the same dimensions as the 991 and therefore the rings might fit?

Just be clear I'm NOT asking whether the gauge unit will fit, ONLY whether the gauge surrounds are the same size.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't have a 997 handy to compare.

Many thanks.

:Bump: Anyone?

A little help would be much appreciated - just need a few measurements (lateral/Vertical) across the individual gauges, so I can compare to my 991.

Many thanks in advance.

sorry mate kept forgetting to take my digital calipers out with me but I've just measured them for you.

Centre ring: 118mm OD / 108mm ID
Inner rings: 100mm OD / 90mm ID
Outer rings: 73mm OD / 63mm ID

The rings are approx. 5mm thick.

Not the easiest dials to measure since they are angled but hopefully this helps.

--Nick

Thanks Nick, very good of you!!

Now I can see if the 997 rings stand any chance of fitting.

Much appreciated :thumb: :thumb:

Thefinn said:

Thanks!!

I've been in touch with the guys at Dido Tuning in Poland, as I could see they did them in both Matt and Polished Aluminium, for a variety of Porsche models including the 997 - sadly they don't list a set for the 991 specifically, hence me checking if the 997 ones were actually the same dimensions.

Here's the link to Dido Tuning's eBay page:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/didotuning?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I had a look at the ones in your eBay link but am not sure about the quality as they're made in China.

In the meantime I'll compare the dimensions that Nick kindly provided and see if the 997 ones from Dido will fit my 991.

Thanks again guys :thumb:

Thanks I did try Dido as I have bought some off them before for a mx5 and they were nicely made but they said they dont do them for the 997. For some reason the link you sent does take me to the 997 parts :?:

Thefinn said:
Thanks I did try Dido as I have bought some off them before for a mx5 and they were nicely made but they said they dont do them for the 997. For some reason the link you sent does take me to the 997 parts :?:

I've looked at so many sites now I think I'm going nuts :?

Saw these ones for the 997 on a site in the US

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-997-Gauge-Rings-srch.html

911Time said:
Thefinn said:

I think they are for the 964 by the looks of the picture. There seems to be loads available for the 991, admittedly most from China but surely they are worth a punt for $40 rather than trying to make others fit?

I really want a set now you have got me on them but I can only find 996, 987 or 991 they seem to have missed out the 997 :sad:

Thefinn said:
911Time said:
Thefinn said:

I think they are for the 964 by the looks of the picture. There seems to be loads available for the 991, admittedly most from China but surely they are worth a punt for $40 rather than trying to make others fit?

I really want a set now you have got me on them but I can only find 996, 987 or 991 they seem to have missed out the 997 :sad:

Now I'm confused - when I clicked through from Google, at the top of the Autoatlanta page it says '997 Gauge Rings' but the image shows circular rings and surely the only completely circular ring in the 997 is for the rev counter, so that can't be right :nooo:

As you say, most of the ones for the 991 are chromed plastic from China, not Aluminium but I agree may be worth a punt.

I'd prefer to have lacquered Aluminium, as that would better match the Sports Chrono clock but that may not be possible.

I'll measure up the ones in my car tomorrow and compare to Nick's dimensions.

Nothing worth doing is ever easy :roll:

badbadtz said:
sorry mate kept forgetting to take my digital calipers out with me but I've just measured them for you.

Centre ring: 118mm OD / 108mm ID
Inner rings: 100mm OD / 90mm ID
Outer rings: 73mm OD / 63mm ID

The rings are approx. 5mm thick.

Not the easiest dials to measure since they are angled but hopefully this helps.

--Nick

Well, I've measured up the gauges in my 991 and compared to the measurements from your 997 but sadly they are different - so that's a no go!!

Thanks again for your help :thumb:

Thefinn said:
You might want to get the measurements of 996 clocks as the Aluminium Dido ones might be close as well

Unfortunately the gauges in the 996 are different again - especially the outer pair, which are way smaller than those in the 991 :frustrated:

I've been trawling the internet looking for information and have read that the Panamera gauges are the same as the 991 but I can't find anyone doing Alu rings for those either, so it looks like I'm back to square one.

Reading other forums like Rennlist, it seems that some of the US suppliers used to supply gauge rings a while back but then quality from the manufacturers went south, so they stopped supplying them.

The Chinese only seem to sell chromed ABS (not Alu) and the reviews are mixed (especially regarding fitment) but for the small cost I might just order a set and see what they look like in the flesh. I'm not averse to a bit of fettling, if that's all that's needed but if they look crap I'm not going to ruin the car.

If only Porsche would sell the ones they fitted to the One Millionth 911 :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back