Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NOTAPORSCHE

Luddite

Indianapolis
The machine in this vid is lacking in horse power relative to many Porsches, BUT..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Yww_nYuFA

Looks like fun at less than ballistic speeds...and if we are restricted in our future usage of ICE machinery it could make for an ideal garage queen to be taken out for the occasional BLAAAAST..?

Though would a McLaren seem a better option, one chap who seems to be able to take his pick of fun cars typed this :-

"The issue for me with 'supercars' is what on earth do you do with them?? I've owned a couple and they're no good for country lanes, you look like a ***** when you turn up to your local pub, the roads are full of caravans or cyclists and the bigger roads are full of cameras. I rarely exploited the performance of my 200+ mph cars and not once did I ever draw level with a decent sports car at traffic lights!

I am glad they exist in a world where everyone wants to ban everything, but I don't think I'd have another."

Well now that seems a pretty balanced line of thought...?

Another who seemingly enjoys Ferrari fun typed this on McLaren :-

"I toyed with buying a McLaren the last time I changed toy car. I didn't for a number of reasons, chief among which was that McLaren made no effort to support the second or third owner of the car. In particular they have prevented as far as they can the development of independent repair shops leaving the owner of the 80k ( and falling) car dependant on high end supercar dealers. Part prices are horrendous. Basic mechanical reliability doesn't seem any worse than Ferrari or Porsche but the early cars have a gearbox prone to leaks and for which McLaren don't supply parts so you have to replace at 35k a time.

On the forums its a given that you need to take out the extended guarantee at £5k pa as well as paying for the annual service etc. So you can easily end with ownership costs between 5 and 10k on a car worth 80k or less.

The depreciation is no worse than Aston or Porsche.

Worth adding that the high end car dealers I talked to avoided buying in a McLaren - to a man they had the same tale of buying one in and taking a 20k bath on it"

It seems supercar ownership may not work out as well as the mix of auto-lust and man maths combined might lead us to imagine... :?:

Luddite said:
Though would a McLaren seem a better option, one chap who seems to be able to take his pick of fun cars typed this :-

"The issue for me with 'supercars' is what on earth do you do with them?? I've owned a couple and they're no good for country lanes, you look like a ***** when you turn up to your local pub, the roads are full of caravans or cyclists and the bigger roads are full of cameras. I rarely exploited the performance of my 200+ mph cars and not once did I ever draw level with a decent sports car at traffic lights!

I am glad they exist in a world where everyone wants to ban everything, but I don't think I'd have another."

Well now that seems a pretty balanced line of thought...?

He's buying the wrong cars and not getting up early enough.

Weather permitting I'll be spending the Spring and Summer getting out at 5am on both weekdays and weekends and having the roads to myself for a good few hours. If you're willing to get up at stupid o'clock, the effort is well worth it.

Re McLaren's you only have to watch the You Tube videos of an owner in the Midlands to realise that McLaren's customer service back up is hopeless.
I very nearly bought a 570 S 18 months ago, that was until two previous McLaren owners said NOOOOO, they all said stick with your 911 so I did.
I did hear from a trade buyer that the car trade will not touch them second hand, hence the huge depreciation on them.
They look great, sound fantastic and are like a track car to drive but the ownership costs and depreciation are massive!

991.2GTS, seems we may think alike for I too am an early riser to enjoy precisely that which you describe, though in all fairness I am unsure if that might be available to all dependant on where they live...? While I live one field away from the suburbs of a large city, there is not so much as a traffic light between my home and some great driving roads, picking just the right time of day makes all the difference :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back