Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Petrol engine sounding like a diesel?

Matrixxxx

Trainee
My 4.8L petrol engine is making a noise during acceleration that sounds like the injectors on a diesel, mixed with a boost leak sound (but no turbo), I'm thinking an exhaust leak rather than cylinder head valve timing noise?

Can you make a recording of the sound? Will it happen if stationary and you hold the revs?

I will try to record it, although it is one of those sounds that only I can hear, I can only hear it on load and no sound in sports mode , and it goes when not in sports mode when you reach the rev's where the sports flap opens, which is why I was going down the exhaust leak route, just wondered it they were prone to cracking, or joint leaks?

Well it's the exhaust, you can now hear it under the engine , can't see exactly where yet.

Just glad its not an engine problem.

time to get the TIG fired up.

Common issue, it will 100% be the flex joints alongside the engine on primary cat pipes.

Literally getting one of mine cut off tomorrow at Longlife exhausts, going to be £250-£300 he reakons. He plans to make a new flex pipe which slides/clamps on, he hopes to weld on but worst case it will clamp on.

I think its just the passenger side for me at the mo. It's going to be a pain in the arse as the access is tight and to remove the primary cat with its rusted studs is a nightmare job, access to 1, maybe 2 of the studs looks impossible but the plan is to attempt the job with the pipe in place.

The drivers side is seriously tight, that's the one you don't want to be broken!

In the US, they make replacement flex pipes but sadly not for the 4.8.

I will have to take a close look and get some measurements for the flex, there's loads of different types on the market.
if you get any pics or dims in the meantime please share.

:thumbs:

Fixed

Found the problem, the nuts on the flange had disintegrated. Used a die to clean the threads , new nuts, no more noise.

Attachments

• 17459c64_87c1_46ee_82ac_350406ecbb63_140.jpeg
    17459c64_87c1_46ee_82ac_350406ecbb63_140.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 3,998
Now thats a result! I had a similar result last week on my other car. Nasty knock from underneath. Fearing expensive suspension issues and turned out exhaust mount had gone. £5 fix.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back