Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

turbo DIY Exhaust upgrade

darkhorse said:
I had to remove mine as one of the O2 sensors was goosed and the car was running like a dog. They came out easily using some map gas. I wouldn't even bother trying them without heat as you will round them out.
Just heat the area around the O2 sensor, not the O2 sensor body as it not the sensor thread body you want to expand.

Good progress Nickhappy :)
Not sure why you cut the exhaust straps though?!!

Cheers for that DarkHorse - MAP gas ready and waiting for this weekend :thumb:

When I say straps I meant the strap bolts - they were completely rusted and no chance of spinning. Straps are fine to reuse with new bolts

NickHappy said:
darkhorse said:
I had to remove mine as one of the O2 sensors was goosed and the car was running like a dog. They came out easily using some map gas. I wouldn't even bother trying them without heat as you will round them out.
Just heat the area around the O2 sensor, not the O2 sensor body as it not the sensor thread body you want to expand.

Good progress Nickhappy :)
Not sure why you cut the exhaust straps though?!!

Cheers for that DarkHorse - MAP gas ready and waiting for this weekend :thumb:

When I say straps I meant the strap bolts - they were completely rusted and no chance of spinning. Straps are fine to reuse with new bolts

Ah yes, the bolts!! Good stuff!
I used an O2 sensor tool with a 3/8 extension bar (hilka sensor tool from screwfix). Heat the surrounding exhaust area for a while.. until its starting to get a little cherry red around the O2 sensor. Then give it a good tweak with the breaker (or ratchet) and it should wind out. Rinse and repeat!
Mine all came out like this with no issue, once its loosened half a turn I wind it back the other way a little and then undo a turn, then the other way a little. That clears the crud from the threads and ensures you won't round the hex off when undoing it(in theory).

Great work Nick
Looking forward to sound check :grin:

Progress update; got the MAP gas on the O2 sensors and worked a treat, I've had to replace one though as the thread was well and truly worn. Something I'll have to get round to at some point is to re-tap the original exhaust.

Given everything a good clean up and starting to mount the new exhaust and cats on, put it all together as a loose fit and upon tightening it down all coming together nicely :thumb:

Look forward to getting it fired up this weekend for sound check :grin:

Looking good NickHappy!. Good to hear the MAP worked.
Look forward to hearing a sound clip of it!

Got to say - I'm well chuffed with the sound upgrade which is just what I was looking for. Not to over the top and still quite subtle but definitely an improvement over the OEM, can't really get a real representation from the below but on full chat sounds epic.

https://youtu.be/YROxVLvOiBo

Sounds awesome Nick, has just the right tone, not too loud or aggressive. Seriously considering one as they seem to represent good value also :thumbs:

Ozzyz said:
Sounds awesome Nick, has just the right tone, not too loud or aggressive. Seriously considering one as they seem to represent good value also :thumbs:

Cheers Ozzy. Just go for it, I think you're right - very decent t value :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back