Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake caliper refurb

I got seals from big redd when doing my 944 turbo calipers, now those are a
bitch to do, removing the stainless slider plates was trying to say the least.
:nooo:

Update. Got all the other nipples out easily enough so at least I didn't add to the problem. West of Scotland Engineering removed the 2 sheared ones and also drilled the strut/hub carrier bolts out for me. So 2 birds with one stone.

New nips and seals from biggred are here so it's time to start prepping for paint. The big decision now is red or yellow. Quite fancy yellow but don't want to look like I'm pretending I've got PCCB. Thought about maybe going Renault liquid yellow.

UncleP said:
Update. Got all the other nipples out easily enough so at least I didn't add to the problem. West of Scotland Engineering removed the 2 sheared ones and also drilled the strut/hub carrier bolts out for me. So 2 birds with one stone.

Great news :thumb: bet that's a massive relief!! Hopefully not too expensive either!?

UncleP said:
The big decision now is red or yellow. Quite fancy yellow but don't want to look like I'm pretending I've got PCCB. Thought about maybe going Renault liquid yellow.

Personal choice and entirely your call at the end of the day but if you'll forgive me being blunt, why paint them anything other than the original Porsche red and for the love of all that's holy, please NOT any shade of Renault anything? :eek: I'm all for modifying cars when you can improve or personalise them but in this particular instance (when it comes to those well-known red calipers) why??

You own a 911 - a car most people can only dream of! The general public might be fooled by some PCCB looking yellow calipers but those who know Porsche will give more kudos to a car/owner with a nice shiny set of original reds.

Just my tuppence and no offence intended :)

UncleP said:
The big decision now is red or yellow. Quite fancy yellow but don't want to look like I'm pretending I've got PCCB. Thought about maybe going Renault liquid yellow.

What colour is your 996 UncleP ?
I fancy doing my 996 calipers in Gulf blue and orange decals when I get around to it :grin:

I quite fancy doing mine orange to match the lovely glow of the interior lights and it would also contrast nicely with the seal grey body colour.

Good result. :thumb:

Paint them whatever colour you like. It's your car.

I'm a stickler for a factory-ish finish, so I do mine black or red. My Indy has a silver 996 and he has done his in Porsche Mint Green and they look quite cool. 8)

I'm with Mark on this, the calliper colour is part of the Porsche language, as it were - black, silver, red and yellow all tell you at a glance what the car either is, or the brakes are.

I'm replacing my callipers with AP Racing ones later in the year, but will be sticking with black for the body of the callipers (I've decided that this is allowable as Porsche ran AP's at Le Mans last year).

No offence taken to any comments.

My car is meridian metallic. I was thinking on doing them red but both my other cars have red brakes with other red accents (one is white with red and the other is metallic grey with red) so I fancy a change. I also think the red might emphasise the pink tinge to the colour more than my male insecurity can tolerate.

Currently the standard turbo twists have been refurbished with gloss black centres and a silver lip. I think eventually I will go for Matt bronze OZ. The photo below got me on the meridian/bronze/yellow combo.

Photo of current scabby rear calipers so we can look back and laugh when I finally finish.

Attachments

• img_20200216_184800049~2_245.jpg
    img_20200216_184800049~2_245.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,200
  • silver_porsche_996_turbo_aftermarket_911_wheels_momo_heritage_bronze_rims_e_728.jpg
    silver_porsche_996_turbo_aftermarket_911_wheels_momo_heritage_bronze_rims_e_728.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 1,200
Glad you didn't take offence UncleP :thumb:

I'd somehow forgotten that your car is a non-S and therefore your original calipers were silver :oops:

If you're going to leave the car stock then I think it's slightly more acceptable to have red calipers on a non-S car, than PCCB looking yellows but I'm wearing a thick tin hat when I say that!!

HOWEVER, if you're going to modify the car and move it far away from the 'factory' look - with a set of OZs or Momos (as shown) and have them in bronze then, if you'll forgive the pun, the brakes are off!! :D

In that case, why not let the wheels do the talking, keep the colour palette simple (otherwise it'll clash): Car in Meridian silver, wheels in bronze, calipers in gloss black with 'Porsche' in silver OR bronze. You could even consider doing the mirrors in bronze to match the wheels, or have 'PORSCHE' side decals, also in bronze??

Bit more of an Outlaw look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back