Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Car - first Porsche

2much

Trainee
Hello all,

I am about two weeks in to my first 911 (996) 1999 C4 - loving it!!

Finally bit the bullet after a several years thinking and realised if I didn't get one soon it would never happen - prices rising and 'life's too short" etc.

Changed gear and differential oils and replaced front drive shaft gaiters then it was down to Nine Excellance for Major Service, spark plugs and full geometry.

Wheels, sports suspension, sports seats, silver console and dials as factory options. Had a replacement Porsche engine fitted in 2015 but about 65k miles since then so guess not really an asset anymore?

Will need an exhaust soon, now I've sold my previous car (Range Rover) may have some ££ to do this earlier.

Only real plans are a deep clean of the interior and try to improve a few bucks and scuffs on parts of the trim, extend the silver trim option and replace the dials as think I prefer them black.

Lots of good information on here, thanks for adding me to the forum.

Steve.

Photo..:.

Attachments

• 6046dc27_0661_49b4_9b7c_06f485cd60a1_149.jpeg
    6046dc27_0661_49b4_9b7c_06f485cd60a1_149.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 3,186
:welcome: to 911uk and to Porsche ownership Steve.

I bet your first, albeit lovely, 911 won't be your last. :D

Congrats, looks lovely .. enjoy !
Another great looking 996.1 :D
Welcome to 911uk :thumb:

Nice early C4 :thumb:

Looks good. This is a helpful place and a few new owners in the few weeks I have been here!

Enjoy!

Nice!

Gotta love a 996 C4 :thumbs:

Ah, so your the guy that bought it.... Congratulations.

I had arrange to view this car a few Saturdays back, spoke to the guy (Ben? ) selling it during the week, agreed to view on the weekend, if it was still available, spoke to him Friday night to firm up plans only to be told it had sold, I believe you viewed it Friday night and left a deposit?

I had lined up two, near identical cars to view on the Saturday, I ended up buying the other car, it turned out to be a great car, as, I'm sure is the car you bought.

Hope your enjoying yours, s much as I am mine,

Drew-Nitram said:
Ah, so your the guy that bought it.... Congratulations.

I had arrange to view this car a few Saturdays back, spoke to the guy (Ben? ) selling it during the week, agreed to view on the weekend, if it was still available, spoke to him Friday night to firm up plans only to be told it had sold, I believe you viewed it Friday night and left a deposit?

I had lined up two, near identical cars to view on the Saturday, I ended up buying the other car, it turned out to be a great car, as, I'm sure is the car you bought.

Hope your enjoying yours, s much as I am mine,

Indeed was is me, sorry to pip you to it but pleased you also picked one up - it was starting to become a constant stream of phone calls and "no sorry it's sold" responses.

Ben lives close to me so was able to nip across on Friday.

Take care

:welcome:

Another nice early 996 into the fold 8)

:thumbs:

A busy day of self isolation up at my workshop with the 996.

Located the corrosion on boot floor as identified by 9e on their report - water obviously getting into boot for some while and pooled around drain plugs and rotting through the metal.

Someone obviously knew as underside is covered in some kind of undersea which had probably started to make it worse by holding water under it + whilst obviously stupid, rather ingenious of a previous owner, removing bung from to of suspension turret and using this to plug the now larger hole!!

All cleaned out, checked battery tray drains and seems all clear, tidied up the scuttle area then out with the grinder to remove the rust.

Wire wheeled the whole wheel well (try saying that when drunk!) and rust converter applied.

Out with welder next weekend and hoping it rains this week to try and see if/where water is coming in whilst it's all stripped out. If anyone has any thoughts on where to check, let me know.

PS. Having an ally Jack is great for weight but not so good when sitting in water in spare wheel - furrier than my favourite jumper :)

Lovely car mate well done. Did you notice any difference in the drive after the geometry check?

Car was initially more skittish after geo and thought something wrong but as tyres have adjusted to realignment it has become more secure feeling.

Was initially concerned about some lightness at front and a little darting on some roads but now having driven other similar cars, this seems normal.

It's running factory sports suspension and 18" wheels so does feel tight (good) and now on spacers which has improved feel and looks.

I think a geo is worthwhile for piece of mind and when any changes made as there is so much adjustability compared to most cars the chances of getting it right are reduced.

Have a few more bits in the shop to fit and will do an owners thread at some point but loving the car more every day and feels like I am bringing some life back into it as wasn't used much in recent years it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back