Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''ve decided to expand on the GT3C theme. Just for fun.

The carbon fade thing is interesting. I probably would have got carbon without clear coat and then had the sprayer do a very light coating of paint. This is how they painted the Ferrari F40. When you see it up close it looks amazing.

But still looks different, and as long as you like it, that's what matters.

You can see it here
https://stevs.ca/blogs/articles-insights/ferrari-f40-thin-paint

isysman said:
The carbon fade thing is interesting. I probably would have got carbon without clear coat and then had the sprayer do a very light coating of paint. This is how they painted the Ferrari F40. When you see it up close it looks amazing.

But still looks different, and as long as you like it, that's what matters.

You can see it here
https://stevs.ca/blogs/articles-insights/ferrari-f40-thin-paint

Yeah. We did try this. But I preferred the blend to black carbon. It's special paint rather than just a dust coat fade. Uni-directional particles. Silver from one angle, black (transparent) from another.

Tweaked the design of the bespoke spoiler adjusters.

All fitted now. Back to the exhaust now. TiG welder repaired.

Final push on the exhaust this afternoon.
Bespoke tailpipes are a bitch. Factory silencer pipes (at the actual silencer end) are miles away from the DesignteK I have removed. So basically I'm having to remake the centre section pipes. 7 cuts last night. Just a bit at a time. Going to trial fit the bumper next to check alignment then it's time to fully weld the last pipe on.

I have no idea whats taking you so long :goodjob:

:D

And because I'm using the original bespoke tailpipes, after all this work, it will look exactly the same! :frustrated:

(But that's not the point huh? #titanium #stainless)

All done. And road tested.

NS valve plumbed in with stainless pipe.

Valves fit nicely under heat shields.

X pipe looks pretty cool between the tailpipes.

Another reason for pushing hard to finish the exhaust yesterday was because a mate had booked his Caterham Academy car in for some prep work in my newly cleared garage.

That was fun. Especially the expanding foam in a bag seat support thingy.

Whilst I wait for the carbon fade scoops to arrive, I thought I would fit the GRP ones last night ahead of today's exhaust road test.

Such a strange effect they have produced on these. Some angles they look grey. Some angles green. Beneath the lacquer is this oil like texture. Very interesting. But tbh, I can wait for the carbon fade ones coming next week.

Oh. And if anyone wants to hear the new exhaust in idiot mode, I did my unofficial track day DB test today.

102db with valves closed! Yay!

But with them open........... https://youtu.be/Pb8cbKhr0n8

Loving the thread and great work on the exhaust, looks great.

What's the fit of the scoops like? Hard to exactly see on the pictures but looks like there are some small gaps , which is the exact problem I have with my after market scoops as well.

elliot_holder said:
Loving the thread and great work on the exhaust, looks great.

What's the fit of the scoops like? Hard to exactly see on the pictures but looks like there are some small gaps , which is the exact problem I have with my after market scoops as well.

Thanks Elliot

I pre-fitted then before painting. I cut some studs off leaving 4 at the calculated pull down points. The passenger side scoop fitted near perfect. The drivers side was a little twisted but nothing that the front stud wouldn't pull down. I made some felt gaskets and tbh I'm happy with the fit. Hard to see on the photos due to the shape but they look pretty neat.

The carbon set were a slightly better fit but the lift on the drivers one was at the same point (so probably use the same master mould.

The carbon set should be ready for when I get back from Finland. Been practising some winter driving with the family. Coming back to drive the Porsche driving experience when the kids grow up.

New Apple Play unit nearly installed.

Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Quick update.

Decided it was time to do a mini under bumper clean up. (Will do again when my mates garage is ready when I plane to fully strip all belly pans & arches etc)

So. I removed the bumper & replaced the 2 AC condensers (inc the drier).
Pretty scruffy under here.

I spent a bit of time giving it a good clean, rust inhibit & cavity waxing.

Quite an improvement. For a mini clean.

Whilst the bumper was off, the extent of the damage to the lower lip could be seen (only replaced shortly before I bought it last summer). Now that it doesn't scrape anywhere close to it used to (now I have raised the nose) I thought I would try a 'nothing to lose' repair. If it fails, I'll spend the £250 for a new one.

Ooooh. Bad twist.

Heat gun out. 95% better. Not bad.

Special 2 pack adhesive instead of filler to fin in some of the scratches. Might work. Might not.

Then mask up rather than remove. The think will be too floppy imo. Textured base coat (that sticks like crazy) followed by a satin black top coat.

Check out my hi tech booth. Aka BBQ & back garden.

Wasn't completely happy so rubbed down & applied again.

Not a factory finish. But hey. This is a GT3C. Anything goes 🤣😂

Then I decided to think about the 3rd radiator. (Even though it might increase engine temps). So for now I'm fitting it but will plumb it in once I've decided on an in-line thermostat, electronic valve or moveable intake flaps (992 style) when it do the big strip down on a ramp.

I didn't have the heart to ask for trade or club discount. £102 inc vat for the whole retro fit kit. Just bonkers.

Proof.

Had a COVID restricted look around the main dealer whilst there.

Kept to the lines too.

What a big box of genuine parts!!!

Omg. Just turned the radiator around and noticed that it is the vary rare (& might I say, rather desirable) GT3C edition! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

No-one will ever notice. Apart from the occasional bug. Briefly.

This is the mask I made before painting.

Forgot to mention. Intake meshes being made before bumper goes back on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back