Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 GT3 Potential Purchase - What to look out for

Flatout

Been a member on here for many years but hasn't been in a position to own one. Looks like this may change but still not 100% as need to pass by house CFO..., etc.

What should I be looking out for? Clearly will be looking at a car with OPC warranty. Issue is that you don't see many CS models at OPC's and if they do they're either priced at the high end or don't hang around.

How does the warranty work with sales through non OPC dealer even though the car states xx balance of OPC warranty. I know the G engine is the one to go for with regards to issues on older models blowing up. Frankly I don't mind either E/F/G engines as I believe they all have a 10yr warranty albeit between 3-4yrs left for most. Is this statement factually correct, if not, would be fab getting anyone's view.

Here are some examples I've been eying - any thoughts or better yet, are the owners on here.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...lift-system-pccb-porsche-ext-warranty/9462880

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ports-seats-great-spec-only-6000-mls/10100589

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...dk-auto-gt3-semiautomatic-white-2014/10358883

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...y-to-march-2021-----------------2014/10155099

Finally anyone thinking of selling drop me a pm. Needs to Clubsport model..

Flatout said:
........ How does the warranty work with sales through non OPC dealer even though the car states xx balance of OPC warranty ..........

If a car is sold to you by anyone other than the current owner or an OPC the warranty becomes invalid.

The dealer advertising the car in this way is effectively stating that they are acting as a broker between the current owner and you so the warranty can remain valid.

To protect myself I'd want to be satisfied that this is definitely what is happening.

There are still issues with the G series engines. It appears to be in cars that are regularly hitting the limiter at 9k. So those using it on track and driving in sport auto, where the car shifts at 9k, will have more chance of a failure.

What you don't know is what the previous owner did with it. If they drove it hard on the track, the engine might be on its way to failing.

I think it's a bit of a lottery with the 991.1. Personally I wouldn't touch one, and as the 991.2 becomes more affordable, and we get closer to the end of that warranty, I suspect many others will feel the same. So residuals may well be a problem.

991.2GTS said:
There are still issues with the G series engines. It appears to be in cars that are regularly hitting the limiter at 9k. So those using it on track and driving in sport auto, where the car shifts at 9k, will have more chance of a failure.

What you don't know is what the previous owner did with it. If they drove it hard on the track, the engine might be on its way to failing.

I think it's a bit of a lottery with the 991.1. Personally I wouldn't touch one, and as the 991.2 becomes more affordable, and we get closer to the end of that warranty, I suspect many others will feel the same. So residuals may well be a problem.
+1

Hi

Last year I had a desire for GT3 CS package version, When I started think what I wanted was a 2015 f-series engine/CS. In a perfect world a PTS colour as they are rare and I had a soft spot for Riviera blue colour. In regards for carbon interior/ceramic brakes, they weren't top of my list. In the end I managed to find a 2015 Riviera blue/CS with steel brakes and extended leather with red stitching, i was also very lucky to find a 2 owner car. I feel lucky to have such an awesome car,think right place right time. I've added the sharkwerks bypass pipe/100m tips to improve the sound.

2015 engines don't come with a engine warranty, as the issues were fixed. I do have Porsche warranty which would cover me anyway.

Good luck with you find.

Thanks

if there is even a hint that you can get into one without too much flack from air traffic control/handbrake/SWIMBO then just do it and fast

its a GT3 and its amazing. that engine sound.

if tis blows you have a warranty

how many people really keep them for 5-10 years before flipping? some 996 and 997 are very long term like NXI but in the minority.

get in one and enjoy every single minute of it and go bust the Tower!!

Thanks all for the comments. Will keep you updated - clearly making sure the warranty is not affected in anyway is a top priority.

What are the must haves option wise ? For me here is my top pick list:
1) Club Sport
2) Front lift
3) cruise control
4) ceramic discs
5) some carbon would be nice

Flatout said:
Thanks all for the comments. Will keep you updated - clearly making sure the warranty is not affected in anyway is a top priority.

What are the must haves option wise ? For me here is my top pick list:
1) Club Sport
2) Front lift
3) cruise control
4) ceramic discs
5) some carbon would be nice

4 litre engine :thumb: presuming a gen 2 is out of reach, although at the moment prices seem in freefall on the gen 2...

Personally I would try and work a bit harder on the Home Secretary and see if I could up the budget to get into a gen 2 GT3, I reckon £130k would get you one that ticks all the boxes especially this time of year.

The engine issue on the gen 1 is always going to frighten buyers and that 10 year warranty ain't got long left now, due to the flippers realising what the preferred spec was on these cars you have a lot more CS .2's about with PCCB , lift, carbon and cruise.

Only down side I can see is a lack of PTS on the .2 but Miami Blue isn't that far away from Riv Blue.

I bought the 991.1 GT3 and have had the engine replaced under warranty. The car is fantastic especially with the upgraded inconel exhaust and more importantly the DSC suspension module, which makes a really big improvement.

In terms of what to look out for I understand there is a rear suspension fail if it has been tracked hard and this was from Ken at 9e (it is covered by Porsche, but very costly).

I believe the GT3 needs to be driven and I have done 7k in the first year and hope to do 10k this coming year. These cars need hard use.

Great car and great engine

I have been looking at the market for a while, there has been a significant reduction in cars available over the last 8-10 months. Many have been for sale a fair while(the first link you posted for example - agate grey car). Maybe there will be a few more around once the weather picks up. If you like white (I don't!) you will have a better chance, seems most popular colour. I was lucky and got pretty much the spec I was after a couple of weeks ago, low miles and a fair price. I still keep an eye on things but not a lot has come on since Christmas. Enjoy the search, that's half the fun!

Attachments

• dc2e8125_b15b_4bff_8e7e_349dbf186d60_623.jpeg
    dc2e8125_b15b_4bff_8e7e_349dbf186d60_623.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 7,635
Mine was white, then it was wrapped....

Attachments

• 06c6305d_dad9_49ae_9324_8d254c88be0b_747.jpeg
    06c6305d_dad9_49ae_9324_8d254c88be0b_747.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 7,612
......as far as what to look out for, the usual of course, tyres, brakes, servicing, costly if you need all at once. As mentioned Porsche warranty, but would need to be private sale (do your homework re the transaction, as many have outstanding finance, not an issue but prepare accordingly). The other option, SOR but you will pay more vs private due to dealer spread. Crash damage, worth getting a respected independent inspection. 10yr engine warranty can be debated of course as can engine issues in general, but looks like a c£30k premium to get into a .2 car - only you will know if the premium is worth it......
Awesome car though, that engine! Handling! Steering feel! Worth every penny....if you can get into one do it! Took me a while to persuade the boss, but got there in the end :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back