Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I bet you''ve not seen this before!

Grey996

Nurburgring
The car is in at Revolution to fix the gearbox detent arm I posted about before Christmas. While the box was out I asked them to check the IMS, they found that it had been done before, they'd used a part they weren't familiar with and that it was caked in black sealant to stop it leaking, which hadn't worked!

I suppose I'm lucky it hadn't gone in the three years I've owned the car but it might be time for a new one!

Attachments

• b4b85a90_6e10_45d8_937e_c5f19aabefcb_508.png
    b4b85a90_6e10_45d8_937e_c5f19aabefcb_508.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,340
Many of the supposed "RMS" leaks are actually leaks from the IMS bearing cover. The seal isn't very good.

I suspect someone replaced the IMS bearing and the customer came back as there was a leak.

Then they fudged loads of sealant on it rather than remove and reseal.

2AvKLuF.jpg

You're probably right, it was a bit of a shock though especially as my bill quadrupled!

Grey996 said:
You're probably right, it was a bit of a shock though especially as my bill quadrupled!

Yeah but maybe a silver lining to the gearbox faux pas. Imagine the bill if the IMS bearing had gone pop.

For sure, I think was definitely on borrowed time!

My C2 was similar.

Not the best looking solution but as Wasz says they're notorious for leaking, so an additional sealant applied at point of installation isn't a bad idea.

My Indy prefers a squirt of apple sauce and some monkeys blood. :D

Also just to mention. The state of the outside of the cover is no way related the the bearing it supports. IMS cover isn't IMS bearing. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Also just to mention. The state of the outside of the cover is no way related the the bearing it supports. IMS cover isn't IMS bearing. :thumb:

Very glad to hear it :D

adamw said:
Marky911 said:

Very glad to hear it :D

Good point, I'll just have to trust the garage to assess things and advise once it's tidied up.

Picked the car up yesterday and it's soooo good. IMS, RMS and new clutch, plus full gearbox overhaul, new selector arm and all linkages properly adjusted. Wheel alignment also all done properly and the steering is now much lighter. Very pleased indeed and much better than the heavy clutch and steering I'd gotten used to over the last few years.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back