Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Grahams 996 with Aero kit running thread

TV8 said:
There seems to be a monthly meet up at Westerham Brewery on a Saturday lunch time that I expect to get along to soon. Any others I should be aware of?

Cool, cheers Graham.
I also keep meaning to to try out that Westerham brewery meet. I'll need to try and get there soon.
Check out the 'meets and events" section where there a 'what's on in 2020" thread.

For me my events this year currently consist of :
- simply Porsche beaulieu : June
- lemans Classic : July
- goodwood FOS : July
- Porsche fest Brands : Sept

Although hoping to get out on loads more breakfast club type runs with 911uk and otherwise :thumbs:

adamw said:
TV8 said:
There seems to be a monthly meet up at Westerham Brewery on a Saturday lunch time that I expect to get along to soon. Any others I should be aware of?

Cool, cheers Graham.
I also keep meaning to to try out that Westerham brewery meet. I'll need to try and get there soon.
Check out the 'meets and events" section where there a 'what's on in 2020" thread.

Although hoping to get out on loads more breakfast club type runs with 911uk and otherwise :thumbs:

Going to try and get along to Beaulieu this year. Nice part of the world.

I will also check the event section suggested and post up if I am going along to Westerham.

TV8 said:
adamw said:
TV8 said:

Cool, cheers Graham.

Going to try and get along to Beaulieu this year. Nice part of the world.

I will also check the event section suggested and post up if I am going along to Westerham.

:thumb: :thumbs:

OMFG!!!!

Look at those lovely GT6's and TVR's!!!!

I had both earlier in life; I had tears in my eyes when i sold my Chimera - and I only sold her under duress as i was getting divorced. Two kids, one passenger seat...

Lovely thread m8 :thumb:

Osh

Osh said:
OMFG!!!!

Look at those lovely GT6's and TVR's!!!!

I had both earlier in life; I had tears in my eyes when i sold my Chimera - and I only sold her under duress as i was getting divorced. Two kids, one passenger seat...

Lovely thread m8 :thumb:

Osh

Thanks Osh. I quite like the look of the GT6 but it probably isn't going to happen now. That picture was a 24 round Britain type thing and I think that car had a lot of modifications. It certainly managed a few more miles on the rally than everyone else!

An unusual start to the year (even before current events!) has meant that I haven't made a lot of the progress I had planned with the car. However, the early planned trips are now 99.9% certain to be cancelled, so no time pressure to get them done!

I am really enjoying my 911 and pleasantly surprised at the options for parts and the amount of info there is on forums like this and YouTube.

When I fitted the new head unit, I toyed with deleting the centre console but decided against it as my phone seems to live in the console cubby hole and despite having long legs, I don't find my knee bashing it!

Time for a second cubby hole!
w3e803B.jpg

The start of the year was very wet and the car had the ugliest wipers, which were actually starting to annoy me. A post on the correct bosche wipers had these delivered the next day and pleased that I put them on the correct way up (Happy :D )
8klIPfb.jpg

On the seat in the last picture is a set of track rod ends (Recommended on post purchase inspection) I have just discovered that Type911 is just down the road from me and Matt is a very helpful person to deal with. Having a place like that on my doorstep is going to be convinient!

The car is due an MOT in the next month and I am going to try and get it done this week. It will be interesting to see if my friend thinks the track rod ends need doing or not. I am hoping that the car will pass the emission test without a re-test, which will be a 1st for me for while..

I wasn't happy with my gear change when compared with the TVR, which was short shift and very direct. I enquired about one of Alexs kits and by the time he had made a batch for sale I had actually got used to it! By chance, that same weekend, I had the opportunity to try another car at the recent 911uk breakfast meeting and mine wasn't that bad in comparison, so I have put the purchase on hold.

There is a channel called the throttle cable and it was there I discovered the Continental head unit. The owner recently changed his engine mountings and reading up on the subject, it seems to be an obvious maintenance thing after 20 years and 90k miles.

One visit to type911 later and fitted these yesterday.
hXUn7ho.jpg

it was fun and satisfying to work on the car. I am sure there are some tricky jobs but this isn't one of them. Getting the MAF connector off takes a bit of working out but again, plenty of info out there on the internet.

The back bolt on the drivers side mounting is not the easiest to get a torque wrench on and if I had thought ahead, I would have changed the drive belt!
XGxsQ3F.jpg

The rubber bungs for the air filer housing are missing, so more for the parts list.

Very noticeable change in the drive and the car feels tauter. The gear change has also improved!

Thankfully, there wasn't any noticeable change in the height of the exhaust tips but the old mountings were definitely soft and leaked some oil when I removed them, which I couldn't understand.

Also, not sure if it is my imagination or not but the exhaust sounds slightly louder?

Hopefully, future up-dates will be more frequent!

Great work Graham ...
Keep the updates coming, these 996.1 Aeros are beautiful cars :grin: :thumbs:

adamw said:
Great work Graham ...
Keep the updates coming, these 996.1 Aeros are beautiful cars :grin: :thumbs:

Thanks Adam. I wasn't a fan of the rear spoiler when I first got the car but love it now!

MOT booked for lunch time. Not sure if it's going to be happening or not. Goods vehicles have a 3 month extension for most but cars are undecided based on the gov website this morning.

MOT day!
Something of a surprise to find out that MOT stations are staying open at the moment and I was on the only customer there when the car passed with a couple of advisories.

I also discovered the car has a limited slip differential but not sure if they were optional or standard?

TV8 said:
MOT day!
Something of a surprise to find out that MOT stations are staying open at the moment and I was on the only customer there when the car passed with a couple of advisories.

I also discovered the car has a limited slip differential but not sure if they were optional or standard?

Check your options sticker for M220.
I have a few cars needing MOTs. Station is about 100m away from my house, but would not be essential travel so nothing done yet.

MC

MisterCorn said:
TV8 said:
MOT day!

Check your options sticker for M220.
I have a few cars needing MOTs. Station is about 100m away from my house, but would not be essential travel so nothing done yet.

MC

Mixed messages from the ministry for transport. They asked the MOT stations to stay open and now have taken their work away for 6 months!

Lucky you having enough cars to be able to keep a few needing MoTs at the same time!

I saw a post on Facebook about removing these brackets from the seat runners and did that today. Not a lot of extra movement but enough to make a difference.

nu6cDvf.jpg

Under the seat, I also found the GT3 badge that someone had stuck to the carpet when I 1st got the car. Not a fan of false badging so on the shelf with the other spares/parts changed.

1NdxQ4c.jpg

I hope you are all staying safe and well.

Right now, I should be sat in Monaco with my son watching the historic Grand Prix. At least the sun is shining here today!

During our stay at home period, I decided to buy one of Alexs short shift kits and fitted that to the car.

For people doing this job, I would recommend making sure that the markings you put on the adjuster cables are actually permanent and even if the markings are permanent, still take clear photos counting the number of threads...!

qOR1ARR.jpg

A mercy mission for my 84 year old Mum, going stir crazy on her own in lockdown, had the car rolled out of the garage and an essential journey/test of the new gerchange. Very precise and a lovely feel to it.

Mum was pleased to see me as well, so win-win.

As it has been getting warmer, I have been weakening and thinking about convertibles and browsing the odd classified. Not helped by having poor air conditioning, so that is the next job.

I have been looking at videos of people taking the front bumper off and changing the condensers. Still undecided if that is a job to tackle myself or not? There is a definite leak but I get the impression that there are other things that can also reduce effectiveness. Tuesday is decision day on this little task!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back