Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie, 997 search, and oil sampling.

Powelly999

Hi all
Been stalking this site for a while now and finally joined so I can ask daft questions.
I'm taking my time looking for a 997 but trying to learn all about the ways to identify and pick a good one, with regards to all the possibilities of total engine failure due to the incorrect oil filler cap etc.(well that what it feels like reading all about IMS's, RMS's, clutches and Bore scoring).
I understand it may be a bit over dramatised by the internet, but maybe not for those who have suffered house selling bills for engines etc, although I'm fully aware of the the costs of owning such a car isn't like a Kia Piccanto, so not naive in the ££'s needed I hope.
Coming from an engineering background, I was involved in the looking after a different array of machinery both mechanical and electrical and we always used oil analysis for preventative maintenance to identify if wear or component failure was occurring. Is this something that is done in the Porsche world to help look for the tell tale signs of the above mentioned issues that has been talked about so much?
Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I did do a search for it on here but it came back with so many posts with obscure links to the subject I gave up reading!
Kind Regards
Andrew.

Welcome!

Oil sampling can certainly help identify issues, but is more useful as far as I can see for spotting long term trends and sudden spikes in values of certain metals that indicate a problem. Watch the video on Jake Raby's Knowledge Gruppe (I think) channel on youtube, which explains it well.

Bore scoring can be identified by scoping the cylinder linings as I dare say you've read, but my only reservation on this is that it starts on the pistons, which of course cannot be identified from a scope. So even if a car scopes clean, it may have early stage scoring that won't manifest til later...

Welcome!
Lots of knowledge on here and lots of enthusiasm too!
If I had three bits of advice, they would be

1) Get a PPI done
2) Get a PPI done
3) Get a PPI done.

I'm sure others will chip in with their experiences.

Keep us updated with your search and good luck!

Stoddy.

:thumbs:

Attachments

• b5c344b3_220c_42ee_96bf_d14e9f78b873_709.jpeg
    b5c344b3_220c_42ee_96bf_d14e9f78b873_709.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 1,154
If you wish to send me links of cars you are thinking of viewing then i would be happy to give my opinion of what i think of the car for sale and whether its worth viewing .

I can give a few tips on what to look for depending on the model .

I've done this once or twice shall we say for members here and have a small amount of experience in finding the " not so good cars ".

Entirely up to you but please be aware .. i can only answer your Pm,s in the evening from 7-9pm as that's the only time i'm actually on here .

Welcome to the forum!

when I was in your position I decided my mind would never be at ease with a 997.1, (don't hate me) and I wanted to love finally owning the car I had on my bedroom wall.

I settled on a boggo gen 2 carrera over a gen 1 carrera S.

£32k will get you a nice one if you can stretch to it.

With the age of 997's the ancillaries will be starting to need replacement, brake lines, suspension etc. Not to mention clutches.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back