Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What coffin arm makes are good??

Newbe

Montreal
Hi All

After some advice on what coffin arms to buy.

I'm going to replace the lot including tuning forks.

Looking around and there's lots of makes?

What's a good brand to go for???

I would query why you are replacing them .. coffin arms and delamination in the bushes then fair enough .. but all 4 ? somewhat unusual and i'm not a fan or replacing parts without a reason .. sorry .

Diag arms and if you have no knocking noises on bumps then they don't really need replacing as it wont .. IMHO make any difference to the handling of the car .

TRW is i believe OEM but not cheap hence if no real reason stick with what you have over fitting a cheaper make .. thats what im thinking anyways .

Cheers for the reply.

I was going to get geo/tracking done. When I done the top suspension mounts I noticed the rubbers bushes on the coffin arms were dried out and cracked. I don't have any knocking but I didn't want to spend out on 4 wheel tracking for then to fail. They look original, TBH it's the fronts rather than rears.

I did think about just changing the bushes but I imagine it would be hard the get the ball joint out without damaging the boot around the ball joint.

Hello Newbe, when I had my 997 I bought coffin arms and tuning forks from "Spyderperformance" (look on Ebay). Chris at Center Gravity fitted them and they were fine. IIRC a set of two coffins with two tuning forks was around £300 at the time.

More generally, suspension brand names that are supposed to be good include (but not limited to) Meyle, TRW, Febi, Lemforder and JP Dansk.

It is bewildering though, because (for example) a genuine Porsche rear control arm for my 993 is £360, or Design911 offer a "Retro Line" one for £120, or you can get one branded "Triscan" from Ebay for £41! Then there's refurbished items from Hartech done on an exchange basis........

Even the cheap items claim to be "fully guaranteed" so I have no idea how a bumbling amateur like me is supposed to know. An email to Center Gravity is a good idea, they always reply promptly and they know their Porsche onions.

Thanks for the reply.

You're quite right on the prices. A piece of ally and some rubber, they can't be that different!!

I have looked at the spydy ones and the others, I may even replace them with Powerflex bushes? Don't know yet?

Hi, I put meyle lower coffin arms on my 997 and lemforder top mounts with febi top bearings,bump stops and gators and all is well. As for diagonal fork arms then, check them for play and leave them alone for now. They are very robust.

Power flex bushes are good but can be expensive if you have to pay someone to fit them. It's time consuming.

So, meyle, lemforder and febi are all good equipment.

Good luck

Ps. Febi are part of bilstein. :thumb:

Agree with all of the above.

However just to add, you didn't mention if you have PASM or are lowered at all? If so the RSS arms are worth considering.

If you have no knocking noises ... on diagonal arms ... this starts to happen at around 50K on the original ones then i would suggest save your money on these ..

Diagonal arms don't really get play in them at least i've never seen it .. they just make noise and as such won't affect a geo .

Coffin arms then if worn bushes fair enough .

I went for meyle, after my MoT tester detected play, that I hadn't noticed.

When it was removed, I could see he was right. Changed the other side as well.

If doing the rears have new bolts ready ( the eccentric geo adjusting ones) as highly probable they are seized in there and need cut out. Makes the geo man's life easier too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back