Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo exhaust manifold removal

Rosselder83

Spa-Francorchamps
Quick question guys, I've managed to get a few bolts out of my manifolds, divers one is held on by 3 and the pass side is untouched.

I e been reading other people's opinions and a few state that the best way to go about it is to cut /grind the heads off the bolts, get the manifolds off then deal with the remaining studs.

My question is what have people used to achieve this, there's no way your getting an actual drinker in there. Would something like the following work/

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...pDv921tKL77xMNhWWAhoCqg4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a time window on Friday night / Saturday morning to get the manifolds off so I'm trying to prepare. The remaining manifold bolts resemble rivets over bolts hence not just whipping them off with a socket / bolt extractor

I am mentally preparing myself for this job some time in the future! So I do read/watch all I can find on the subject.

You are already 'in there' so you are in the best position to know whether you will be able to get access with such a tool to the bolt/stud remnants (i know the layout is different for the turbo as opposed to non-turbo).
I have a 18volt battery Makita one and it's a brilliant tool ... and is much more powerful than the Dremel option which has been used by some.

Also you will need to do a bit of research first to be sure that you can get some really good quality metal cutting blades (the included ones, if any, may well not be up to the job) I think it is fair to say that these oscillating blade tools are mostly aimed at wood/tiles/plastic piping and general house stuff. I have some metal cutting blades with mine but have not used them on 8mm steel bolts, which is the task in front of you.

Maybe others can comment. Best of luck, look forward to hearing how you get on.

Having spent new year doing mine I feel your pain!!!
What you want ideally is a die grinder, basically a little 3inch grinder air fed.

This sort of thing

Attachments

• fc5f5ce7_d51a_46cf_86f1_d7639b0bfad4_204.jpeg
    fc5f5ce7_d51a_46cf_86f1_d7639b0bfad4_204.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,917
jond58 said:
Having spent new year doing mine I feel your pain!!!
What you want ideally is a die grinder, basically a little 3inch grinder air fed.

Great suggestion, I didn't even think of this. I'd actually assumed there just wouldn't be enough room in there for something like this. Did yours make short work of the bolts?

I've old got 2 left on one side after a combination of bolt extractors / welding and chapping. Grinding the heads off seems like all I have left.

The last ditch effort is to buy a set of stainless manifolds and just cut the runners off the ones I have to give me better access to all the bolt heads.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone

deMort said:
If you want to remove a corroded bolt head be it flange or manifold then i use the air powered version of this ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverstorm-247820-260W-13mm-Power/dp/B00J8UITSS/

It's a finger sander and will soon remove metal depending on the belt grit used .

Insane, I was literally just looking at f her sanders after watching a YouTube video where a chap used one to dress welds. You'll do for me deMort, much appreciated. I'll get some gritty belts while I'm at it.

i would suggest an 80 grit .. the lower grades tend to burn out pretty quick .

make sure you use your left hand to steady it whilst using it .. it can skate across the surface otherwise .

Rosselder83 said:
Hughb said:
What's chapping?

Haha, sorry a wee bit of local scots there.

Chapping = hitting. In this instance a wee bit of shock tactics to get things to move

That's a relief, I thought I was on the wrong forum, for a moment.

deMort said:
i would suggest an 80 grit .. the lower grades tend to burn out pretty quick .

make sure you use your left hand to steady it whilst using it .. it can skate across the surface otherwise .

Just to update this, deMort's suggestion was bang on. Finger sander had the last 2 bolts heads off in no time. Wee Tao with the hammer and I was sorted.

Next question, best technique for removing the 4 bits of stud I have left sticking out. I'm going to get one of those stud extractors that looks like a drill chuck. One of the snapped studs is right in the corner and I don't think it will fit in there so any other success stories, I'm all ears!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back