Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

wellsy's 996.1 C2 Aero

Marky911 said:
Factory finish looks ace when done properly and in mint condition. Although Kris's above also look lovely. 8)

Factory finish and red callipers for me though. Don't forget the tyre dressing though. :wink:

That's my wheel :grin: :thumb:

"”"”-

Great intro Dan and beautiful car.
I'll follow the thread with interest!

I see you're only in Kent, where abouts?
I'm only in East Grinstead (Sussex) so would be great to get these too (black and white) out for a run and side by side at some point.

:thumbs:

wellsy said:
Hi Adam

I'm in a village outside of Ashford so just a short blast away from East Grinstead. A meet up sounds good - maybe when the weather improves and I have wheels as shiny as yours!

Standard silver and GT silver wheels both looking mighty fine here!

Sounds good to me.. like you say, as soon as weather improves. Mines still tucked up under cover in garage and hasn't moved in weeks..

Roll on spring 8) :drive:

adamw said:
That's my wheel :grin: :thumb:

"”"”-

''Tis indeed. Look after them. I had a bloody nightmare getting those done. :frustrated: :grin:

Marky911 said:
'Look after them. I had a bloody nightmare getting those done. :frustrated: :grin:

Certainly will ...
They're all clean, shiny and under a cover in the garage :grin:

About time for an update. I've had the car about a month now and slowly getting to know it. Have had a couple of nice drives out on the rare occasion the sun has made an appearance and have been attending to a few maintenance items too.

First up, changing the cabin filter. The car came with a new filter as part of the sale so nice easy job to get started.

Existing filter out:
PHprbul.jpg

Looking a bit grubby against the new filter so worthwhile changing:
ScYEj4C.jpg

Next up, the existing fuel cap doesn't have a tether/lanyard which I think must be specific to the early cars as my previous C4S had one. This might not be an issue to some folk however I find it annoying come refuelling time.

Existing cap:
eWf4FYK.jpg

New cap and plastic rivet fitted:

KvQTn8a.jpg

Note the tether end needs to sit behind the metal where the rivet is inserted. I tried it in front initially but this prevented the fuel flap from closing fully. Bit fiddly getting the rivet in there but a bit of patience and some needle nose pliers did the trick.

It's well known that a healthy cooling system is important on these cars and I'd read that the coolant cap can be a potential weak link. I checked the part number of the cap fitted and it appeared to be an old item so ordered up a new cap for peace of mind.

Existing cap:

E7b1tlM.jpg

Old cap(right, top) and new cap(left, bottom) side by side to show the difference:

4OlrnQY.jpg

aa1Ahz7.jpg

With those tricky jobs behind me I moved on to the next task. The battery tray was looking a bit sorry for itself and needed some tlc.
lc4sWxZ.jpg

With the battery removed I was able to access the four nuts holding the tray down and remove it from the car for a closer look. The corrosion was only superficial and I was sure I could do a decent refurb job on it without resorting to purchasing a new part.

Battery removed:

Ciewx80.jpg

Tray out of the car and brushed down to remove loose debris/ rust:

JxESQod.jpg

Rubbed down and treated with two coats of Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80:

VCqTHmT.jpg

Two coats of zinc primer:

lWySaof.jpg

And finally some satin black and it was looking ready to refit:

Yr0j1Sq.jpg

Looking much better with new fixings and battery clamp:

qy6WvR7.jpg

Z0HLWyd.jpg

The next job was a rear wiper delete as I feel the rear looks a lot cleaner without the wiper and, with a bit of glass sealant on the rear screen, I think the wiper is pretty much redundant anyway.

I ordered the delete plug from https://www.alloycarbon.com, opting for the domed cap painted in Glacier White. Installation was a fairly straightforward process taking no more than about 15 mins.

Before:

8oJrD4O.jpg

NBMAzRk.jpg

After:

JRk1wOx.jpg

WRwjmoQ.jpg

Really pleased with the quality of the parts from alloy&carbon and how the finished product looks. Existing wiper motor and arm stored away safely should I choose to re-fit at any point in the future.

In addition to the small bits and pieces I've been doing the car went into Goss Hall Porsche to look at a few items. Steve at Goss Hall was a pleasure to deal with and already knew the car having done some work on it for the previous owner. A summary of the work undertaken:

Investigate air conditioning not working. Traced to a leak from one of the pipes that run from front to rear. Pipe replaced, new dryer fitted and system re-gassed. All now working nicely. Condensers appear in good order.

Fit low temperature thermostat (which the previous owner kindly provided as part of the sale) including drain and re-fill coolant.

Investigate heated rear screen not working which turned out to be wiring disconnected at rear screen (not sure why this would be but now re-connected).

Adjusted and lubricated the release lever mechanisms for boot/bonnet.
Replaced engine drive belt.

General check of underside for any leaks and corrosion – all found to be in good order with no leaks from engine or gearbox and only surface corrosion to some fixings/fittings, pipe clips, etc.

So that brings us up to date. Next on the agenda is wheel refurbishment and new tyres so will report back soon. :bye:

I can't help Wellsy but I'd be interested to know as I tried using Imgur and couldn't see how to post a link that worked, hence I gave up and now use Postimage.

Just tried one of yr links wrapping them in img tags

Works for me

eWf4FYK.jpg

wellsy said:
Pics sorted! The box for 'Disable BBCode in this post' was ticked.

Hi Dan,

Not been online much since parting with it! :oops:

Great to see the progress is moving forward, some bits I mentioned as you have noted and some I didn't know about but looking great, nice attention to detail love the clean garage too I remember you saying about painting it, painting breeze blocks is awful.

When I see you had done the wiper delete I then released I must have bloody forgot to drop that in the box of bits :what: sorry, I wouldn't have minded one bit in popping it down to you mate, must be somewhere in the garage.

Happy to hear Steve is still getting to work on it, nice setup and always nice bits to look at when down there, I messaged him and said I'd pop over to him soon, I hadn't mentioned that it wasn't mine anymore he said he was surprised to see that!

Anyway I will keep an eye on this with interest of course and as said before I'll whatsapp you sometime for a cars & coffee

:thumb:

Hi Jay

Good to hear from you. Hope you are keeping well.

Shame about the wiper delete but no problem at all. To be honest I don't remember it coming up in conversation :? Still, you can put it to good use when you get your next 996 :thumb:

It's certainly been fun getting to know the car, I've really missed having a hobby car to tinker with. Can't wait for the better weather to arrive to really make use of it. Certainly keen for a meet up at some point so keep in touch :thumbs:

Battery tray looks a thousand times better, nice work.

On my (very) early 996 the fuel cap has a slot in it, you unscrew it from the filler neck and then it sits on the open filler door, the slot locating it on the edge and holding it in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back