Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

wellsy's 996.1 C2 Aero

wellsy

Hi all,

Following on from Jay's (JM30) thread here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=135619

I thought I'd introduce myself as the new custodian and start my own thread to document progress with my new acquisition and hopefully provide an interesting read for forum members. Previous to this I owned a seal grey 996 C4S which was a lovely thing but the arrival of tiny feet meant a lack of use together with the requirement to cart around everything but the kitchen sink soon saw it up for sale and replaced by a BMW 5 series touring.

Fast forward a couple of years and there was just no shaking the Porsche bug! I toyed with the idea of everything from a cheap 986 Boxster up to a gen 2 997 but just kept coming back to the 996. Whilst I very much enjoyed the C4S I was keen to try something different and the comparative rawness of the early 996, particularly the C2 appealed. Rewind a few weeks and I came across Jay's thread and his white aerokit C2. When I saw he was thinking of selling it peaked my interest and when I discovered he lived only 20 odd minutes away from me I knew I had to go and view it!

Long story short, the viewing went well and it drove very nicely, clearly as a result of being well cared for by previous owners. I'm not normally one for 'bodykitted' cars but I make an exception with the 996 aerokit as I think it just works. As with any 20 year old car there was room for improvement in some areas and I was pleased that Jay and I could have reasonable discussions and we were able to reach a deal. I know it was a wrench for Jay to let go but I promise it's in good hands! :D

So, I've had the car a couple of weeks but not had much opportunity to drive it yet due to family stuff and the winter weather. I've been tinkering a bit with it in the garage which I'll document in later posts. Immediate plans are to get the a/c looked at as it's not functioning and attend to some minor corrosion around the door strikers on the b pillars and the lower parts of the front arches. Superficial stuff but I want to catch it now rather than let it get any worse.

For now then just a couple of pictures which is what we all really want to see!

Cheers all
Dan

Attachments

• untitled1_325.jpg
    untitled1_325.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10,849
  • img_20200112_185225_148.jpg
    img_20200112_185225_148.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10,849
  • untitled2_296.jpg
    untitled2_296.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10,849
Nice one Dan!

I look forward to seeing your progress. The car looks as good as ever in those pics. :thumb:
That's a squeaky clean garage too. 8)

Cheers Mark.

Re the garage, it was soul destroying painting the concrete block walls but certainly a more useable space now. And no more dust! Improved the lighting too which should help when the time comes to get the machine polisher out.

Agreed on the wheel colour and its on my list to get done. Question is what colour do I choose? Very much a personal preference thing and difficult to commit. I guess it can easily be changed if I don't like it. The potentials at the moment are standard silver, gt silver, meteor grey, weiss gold. Whatever I go with I'll keep the machined lip.

All opinions most welcome :thumbs:

coullstar said:
Nice, only thing Id do is lighten up the wheel centre colour. The black wheel have no definition.

Your garage is complete opposite from mine, :lol:

Red wheel faces with a machined lip would look cool with the white paint, a nod to the 996 GT3RS...

Good to see the car moving on to a good home.

Only one choice...........

maxresdefault.jpg

:thumb:

I just can't get over how WHITE that car is...! :eek:
- so used to the beige off-white of '90s Japanese cars, I suppose

....I'd be tempted by standard silver for the wheels given how striking the white is - how many 996.1 with aerokit were even made in that colour?!

It really is a very pure white. Will need the raybans on come summertime due to the dazzle!

Interesting question re how many were produced in this spec. I'd like to know the answer myself. I don't think white was a particularly fashionable colour back in the late 90s so there can't be many about. Just searching the net for inspiration on wheel colour on a white 996 doesn't throw up many results.

GT silver and polished lip :grin:

8dcHDyh.jpg

w4P2StT.jpg

Factory finish looks ace when done properly and in mint condition. Although Kris's above also look lovely. 8)

Factory finish and red callipers for me though. Don't forget the tyre dressing though. :wink:

Marky911 said:
Factory finish looks ace when done properly and in mint condition. Although Kris's above also look lovely. 8)

Factory finish and red callipers for me though. Don't forget the tyre dressing though. :wink:

Just don`t visit Centre Gravity for Geo setup with tyre dressing on, Pete and Chris moan like hell as they get covered in it :hand:

:grin:

It's the pet hate of every mechanic in the land isn't it.
My mot guy is the same when he goes to turn the wheels. He just shakes his head and calls me a big tart. :D

Feels like half a job if you wash the car and don't do it though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back