Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel cap tether

wellsy

Monza
My existing fuel cap on my '99 C2 doesn't have a tether strap so I purchased a replacement porsche item with a tether thinking it would be a straight swap. I've come to fit the new cap and there is no obvious point to fix the tether strap to (I bought the little plastic rivet too). I've tried the hole behind the hinge spring but the fuel flap won't close fully. Is my car just not meant to have a cap with tether?

Attachments

• img_20200130_193538_139.jpg
    img_20200130_193538_139.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,042
Basically .. er .. no . on some models .. i'm guessing earlier ones there is no hole for the strap .

I have had limited success in using the hole you can see in your image but i had to fit the rivet from the top side and it was a bitch .

Your alternative is the 10 mm bolt to the left .. you will need washers and not do it up too tight but it will suffice .

The secret to using that little hole is to put the plastic rivet though that hole from the outside, through the tether which you hold up on the other side of the metal tab, then push the plastic pin in to lock the rivet. This will give enough clearance, as I found with trial and error fitting my alu fuel cap.

I'll try to post a pic.

My 98 c2 doesn`t have a tether either, quite frankly it`s a pain in the butt as my other cars do :sad:

Billy Bumpsteer said:
wellsy said:
Cheers Robert. I'll give that a try. Liking your aluminium cap :thumb:

Plastic................ :bye:

Purty though...

@ Robertb ..

Now this is also why i come here .. a simple solution that i didn't think of .. for shame !!

Perfect answer and solution that i will be using in the future :thumb:

Top Man .

Glad it worked :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back