Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are 996's selling?

There's been a decent amount of new 996 Carrera owners pop up on here of late (check out newbie area) so some must be selling :thumb:

I shall probably be selling my C2 at some stage this year. Low miles and lots of work done. I've no idea what it is worth, but I'd like to think that someone would be prepared to pay a little more for a really good car. If you merely buy a 996 just because it is cheap, be prepared to spend... Plenty of 10k-14k cars around if you don't mind high miles, tired paintwork, sketchy history. Tip, Cab etc.
My view is to buy the best you can afford and have a decent starting point.
Really good/desirable spec cars will become more difficult to find as time goes on and you'd like to think that their values will hold up.

I wonder if we're entering a new era for used Porsche prices. One where they behave like other mass produced cars; i.e. they depreciate.
I mean, is there any logical reason why a Porsche 996 Carrera shouldn't depreciate? OK for rare models like a GT2 or something perhaps, but not for the mainstream cars I'd have thought. Supply and demand and all that.

And of course, you're buying a car that's typically 20 years old, so unless the previous owner has spent heavily, your new 996 will surely deplete your wallet. And if 996's are anything like my 993, parts prices can be outrageous.
And then there's the M96 engine problems that afflict the 996 to some extent.

I think this "prices will go up, won't they?" reasoning may no longer be relevant for any Porsche outside of halo models.

I'm a newbie and bought mine in November.
I think I did pretty well in regards to price though buying a cab at that time of year does help.
There are issues to address but the main concern (for me) was a documented engine rebuild around 2000 miles before I bought it.
It's not a Hartech rebuild but a reputable indie who's provided an extensive list of the parts replaced/work carried out.
As an ex mechanic 90% of the remaining work can be done without the labour costs - I don't know if I'd have made the same decision if I wasn't so hands on.

There have been quite a few 12k coupe/manual cars recently WITH the IMS/RMS done and in good order. Even a nice 4s at 13k with all the work done. The problem is most people want their run of the mill cooking 996 to be worth 20k and in most cases they are not. 12k in cash would buy you decent 996 imo. Just my opinion and we all have one lol.

On a plus side I think they are rock bottom at the moment and I think they will slowly climb as the bags of crap are broken for parts. Same with M3's etc.

Counter Of Beans said:
I wonder if we're entering a new era for used Porsche prices. One where they behave like other mass produced cars; i.e. they depreciate.
I mean, is there any logical reason why a Porsche 996 Carrera shouldn't depreciate? OK for rare models like a GT2 or something perhaps, but not for the mainstream cars I'd have thought. Supply and demand and all that.

And of course, you're buying a car that's typically 20 years old, so unless the previous owner has spent heavily, your new 996 will surely deplete your wallet. And if 996's are anything like my 993, parts prices can be outrageous.
And then there's the M96 engine problems that afflict the 996 to some extent.

I think this "prices will go up, won't they?" reasoning may no longer be relevant for any Porsche outside of halo models.

Absolutely. They fell too far as a result of the IMS reputation primarily, so corrected back upward to fair value, which was confused with the beginning of an 'appreciation'.

To be fair, most 996/7 parts are available for sensible money from the likes of car parts 4 less etc, and maintenance is doable by the home enthusiast.

And so what? I for one am glad that 996s have remained sensibly priced to allow enthusiasts to enjoy.

My recent experience:
I bought 3 cars in the last year (Spyder, Classic Alfa and Elise), I paid top dollar and with two of those cars I did not get a single penny off the asking price; in fact for one I paid significantly more to secure the car due to another interested party from the Middle East getting in on the act forcing up the price. So there are certainly buyers out there that will buy cars in the current climate, (maybe my examples are not perfect as all three were quite unique) but I think there are still enthusiasts about looking for these types of cars. In order to make room for the last purchase I did consider selling my 996 as I ran out of space. For the 996 nothing came of it (thankfully as I have found a solution to the space issue) but besides the usual spec related issues, it really would depend on the car: Take an early cable throttle C2 manual and there are only around 4000 cars worldwide. Start to get fussy on spec such as M220 or M030 and the field no doubt is pretty small.

I also think most people are more than a little wary of western governments moves towards Marxism based on AGW so this may have a significant impact on the mindset of enthusiasts. Add in Brexit and other non car related market factors and most are sitting on money waiting to see what happens.

The way I look at it is life is too short and if owning interesting cars is to stop at some soonish, I want to be one of the last still able to enjoy what I consider and I'm sure for most others here, is the biggest passion they have in their lives "enjoying cars".

Counter Of Beans said:

I mean, is there any logical reason why a Porsche 996 Carrera shouldn't depreciate? OK for rare models like a GT2 or something perhaps, but not for the mainstream cars I'd have thought. Supply and demand and all that ...........................

It's interesting hearing the views of recent entrants to the world of 911s.

For the record all variants of the 996 actually depreciated to their lowest value in 2013 and have slowly risen back to where they are now.

Asking prices for Carreras are about the same now as they were in 2011.

Parsley said:
There have been quite a few 12k coupe/manual cars recently WITH the IMS/RMS done and in good order. Even a nice 4s at 13k with all the work done.

Really?
I often scan the classifieds and don't recall seeing these cars.
And anyway, who wants a 996 that's had its IMS bearing yanked out and replaced anyway?

g911omr said:
Parsley said:
There have been quite a few 12k coupe/manual cars recently WITH the IMS/RMS done and in good order. Even a nice 4s at 13k with all the work done.

Really?
I often scan the classifieds and don't recall seeing these cars.
And anyway, who wants a 996 that's had its IMS bearing yanked out and replaced anyway?

Yes came across quite a few. And I would rather buy one that's had the IMS done. But that's just me personally.

There are bound to be the occasional bargains to be had. I think that picking up a nice C4S for £13k is complete fantasy, depending on the perception of what 'nice' is.

g911omr said:
There are bound to be the occasional bargains to be had. I think that picking up a nice C4S for £13k is complete fantasy, depending on the perception of what 'nice' is.

No at all, there was one on eBay a few weeks ago, I was going to buy it but another buyer was in first. You snooze you loose etc. The car had a load of work done and was very clean. It's only thing I suppose was the red/maroon interior. Not to everybody taste I suppose. The buyer said it was cheap because he actually wanted it sold. Not sat there for 9 months with a stream of time wasters coming to tyre kick. Unfortunately sometimes selling a 911 can be a pain in the arse due to certain "enthusiasts" being completely unrealistic and quite frankly absolute *****. Anyway back on thread

I've been watching 996's and 997's for some time trying to decide which one my admittedly limited budget would be best spent on... and in short I think the answer is no unless priced aggressively or a very fine example.

I got worried that prices were going to run from me away a few years ago but needn't have - 996's I've been watching are either dropping in price or sitting on sale for long periods of time and I've seen 997's dipping under £15k of late and these on the whole seem to be better looked after and certainly probably a more desirable vehicle for the market in general.

Ultimately I think they all have a more to go but are getting close to levelling out in terms of pricing for the foreseeable - taking the numbers for sale on here as a general overview you have twice as many 997's for sale which makes sense as production numbers were significantly up during this time (particularly .1 variants before the financial crash) and is going to have an effect.

Sure a nice Manual 996.1 Coupe with cable throttle or a C4S will always be a good choice for an enthusiast and perhaps they will attract a limited group of buyers willing to look at the paperwork in detail when assessing the vehicles value and pay accordingly - but when used as they should the mileages will creep up year on year and it appears that 100,000 miles is a big hurdle for the 911 / sports car market in general.

Add in the risk that dealers need to run to retail and warranty these (engine rebuilds, ageing components and corrosion starting) and I think the 'trade / private' values are going to settle well under £10k for most examples.

The effect of the 992 generation launch will push down 991.1 vehicles into 997.2 territory and compress all the others in the next few years before you even think about the social pressure of running a high C02 output car with an engine close to 3 times the size of what most people deem acceptable... particularly when most modern hot hatches and ev's can outperform them with half the running costs.

Beyond the next 5-10 years I really don't think that there is any way to predict what the prices will be like apart from that they're going to get more and more affordable, less desirable and a more niche choice in the light of the 'electric revolution' that the government and manufacturers are gearing up for with haste.

I suppose it also depends on whether you want to think about buying or actually buy.
One could spend the next year pondering and waiting for prices to come your way, or you could be 'brave' and go for it.
This is what makes discussions like this worthwhile, because the majority of us have actually bought one rather than just talked about it.

T8 said:
It's interesting hearing the views of recent entrants to the world of 911s.
For the record all variants of the 996 actually depreciated to their lowest value in 2013 and have slowly risen back to where they are now.
Asking prices for Carreras are about the same now as they were in 2011.

Right, so the post-crash (2008) years saw values fall. Then we had economic recovery, now normal service has been resumed and depreciation will start to reduce values again. That's how I read it, anyway. But I guess none of us can really be certain.
Perhaps Porsche owners dwell too much on values - guilty as charged!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back