Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Decided to fit the Top Gear X pipe cats. Need to reduce DB!!

Parts arriving now for project Spa exhaust.

Should be able to do some prep this weekend and aiming to do the majority of the welding next Friday afternoon.

Final tailpipe welding will have to be done at home. Missus is going love me welding in the garage.

Ok. So. Tonight's adventures included an angle grinder, Dremmel disc & grinding stone and not to forget the chisel.

2 bloody hours to get 2 bolts out. But I didn't give up.

Oh. And here's my last Porsche mug. Honest.

Nut seized, rounded off & mild steel bolt seized to the mild steel tube. Wow! What do they expect will happen. Both bolts seized to the spacer tubes.

Going to redesign this spacer tube idea. Thinking of a stainless rod with a thread at each end. Then a stainless bolt from above & below. No way a Long front silencer bolt will go back in the front mount without removing the Designtek headers.

Grinding a flat on the rotten nut so I could get a purchase. Impact gun on the other end did a good job.

Finally.

Cat bypass pipes hopefully coming off tomorrow. Then it's oxygen sensor time. Can't wait.

Give it a clean while you're in there..

Attachments

• cleaning_201.jpg
    cleaning_201.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 2,617
Will do.

Is it just me? Or do these cars look like 991/2's with their bumpers off?

Starting to really dislike rusty bolts.

One bypass pipe off this morning. 2nd one after kids football match.

Had to hacksaw the last bolt. No access with the grinder.

Removing the bypass pipe has exposed the tandem pump.

Nice to see the ACP cover in tidy condition? No invoice for this in the file that came with the car but there are pump invoices.

Are there 2 tandem pumps on the engine?

C11BRA said:
Removing the bypass pipe has exposed the tandem pump.

Nice to see the ACP cover in tidy condition? No invoice for this in the file that came with the car but there are pump invoices.

Are there 2 tandem pumps on the engine?

only 1 tandem mate , its a good sign of the way the car had been looked after to see he fitted a new pump and ACP cover .

long bolt in upside down so the silencers can be removed without taking the bumper off. Yes, it can be done!

Thanks Phil. Hope so too.

JL-C. Sadly? The long bolt foul the Designtek headers.

Today's progress

Finally pre-fitted the X pipe. Impressed with the fit.

Designtek flexi joint on it's last legs. No longer needed. Thankfully.

Stainless centre exit section will be salvaged and is in good condition.

Gundo hack valve will go here.

Centre exit mock up.

Tight radius pipes arrived today. Will decide on final location before Fridays welding session.

Thank you TOP GEAR exhausts.

Made myself a quick jig to ensure the tailpipes align after modifications.

Every rusty mild steel bolt was rotten & siezed. It blows my mind why they were fitted.

Every new bolt, nut, clamp and washer will be stainless steel or titanium.

WOW your being thorough :thumb: :thumb: taking the time even to etch GT3C on the exhaust jig :grin: :thumb:

Sorry Mr Porsche.

I've have had to redesign your exhaust mount. (Simply because I can refit it as I had to cut the old parts out due to clearance issues with the sports manifold fitted).

As I've already said, I refuse to refit any mild steel nuts & bolts. And the front silencer mounts originally had a steel tube with the wire mesh bushes at the top and bottom. Bushes great. Rusty tube, not great. And I couldn't refit the long bolt once the tube is in place.

So. I made these. Stainless tube for the shorter rear (with titanium bolt) & a solid stainless long bar for the front. I tapped M8 threads in each end to accept a stainless short bolt (that fits under the chassis rail at the top, and above the manifold on the bottom). The M6 bolt fitted half way is to stop the rod spinning when I come to remove the bolts in the future. The bolt is tight in the rod, but allows the wire mesh movement so it floats in the exhaust mount. Let's see how it goes.

Floating anti spinning bolt. (Technical description)

M8 thread visible. Floating bar made it easier to get bolt in.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back