Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeal on start up

Lukec4s

Silverstone
Hi everyone.

Every now and then when I start my
Car up the day after I parked it, mostly when cold outside I get a squeal / screech from the engine area. Sounds very much like a belt on a pulley. The aux belt is new and tight.

Any ideas ? Could it be something the belt powers? The alternator is new.

Does not screech once started

Thanks[/b]

Mine was doing this and it was a dry bearing in the starter motor. Replacing the starter cured the issue.

911-C2 said:
Mine was doing this and it was a dry bearing in the starter motor. Replacing the starter cured the issue.

Yep, sounds like bendix throw gear/bearing is dried up and not returning on startup, my 996 does this sometimes on hot start :grin:

Whip the starter motor out and give it a service :thumb:

Yep definitely the starter. Build up of dirt and clutch dust get in and the teeth don't retract fast enough when the engine fires so the starter gets a good spin from the flywheel, hence the noise.

General consensus is to thoroughly clean but not lube as this just collects dust and dirt causing the same issues further down the line.

Its simple to remove on a Boxster, not sure about the 996

Thanks everyone .. much appreciated

If its the starter .. which i expect .. it's a very loud whining screech that happens for 2 seconds just after you let go of the ignition key.

If it's more a squeal that lasts say 10 seconds then its belt related .

It is possible to remove the starter , clean and free off the bendix and refit .. i would consider the cost of a new starter motor though as if not huge then replacement might be best .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back