Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 shifter and new shift cables

Thefinn said:
I thought Alex only made the bushes for the ebay SS kits, but there is another option for upgrading the OEM bushes from Phoenix Engineering which i have fitted on my car and can't fault them as they much improve slop.

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/porsche-997-gt3-style-billet-shift-bushing-kit/

Thats what I thought too re Alex as I wanted to stay with the standard shift, so I went for the Function First Shift-Right kit, which also replaces the 'yoke' with a billet alu section. Didn't know about the Phenix kit, which is a lot cheaper.

Robertb said:
Thefinn said:
I thought Alex only made the bushes for the ebay SS kits, but there is another option for upgrading the OEM bushes from Phoenix Engineering which i have fitted on my car and can't fault them as they much improve slop.

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/porsche-997-gt3-style-billet-shift-bushing-kit/

Thats what I thought too re Alex as I wanted to stay with the standard shift, so I went for the Function First Shift-Right kit, which also replaces the 'yoke' with a billet alu section. Didn't know about the Phenix kit, which is a lot cheaper.

Finn , Robert you may both be correct Alex may not do metal bushes for the standard only the SSK but both the options you mention look good as options to improve the standard shifter . :thumb: :thumb:

In case anyone else is interested, the Phenix shipping is a flat rate of $14.50 to the UK, I just tried it with 24 sets as an example and it was the same amount for shipping (I guess they don't weigh very much...) so maybe time for a little Group Buy?

peterg1955 said:
In case anyone else is interested, the Phenix shipping is a flat rate of $14.50 to the UK, I just tried it with 24 sets as an example and it was the same amount for shipping (I guess they don't weigh very much...) so maybe time for a little Group Buy?

Good idea but you might want to factor in the import tax and charge for the handler to process it as it still might be cheaper to buy them individually as i think it will come under the threshold.

maldren said:
Thefinn said:

Alex modified my 'standard 997' shift for me very successfully.

I was sure someone had had it done , glad its not just me loosing my marbles :grin: :grin:

Thefinn said:
peterg1955 said:

Good idea but you might want to factor in the import tax and charge for the handler to process it as it still might be cheaper to buy them individually as i think it will come under the threshold.

good point, OK then maybe Alex can provide a better alternative for upgrading standard 997 shifters...

Just ordered the >2010 997 GT3 metal bearing shifter (99742401091) from the OPC £272 + vat but PCGB discount to come off that. One of the popular Porsche parts companies selling for £400+

Don't assume independent parts suppliers are cheaper than the OPC!!

Ian

the gt3 shifter feels so much better :thumbs: something i did 3/4 years ago

Honestly the 997ssk is by far and away a more direct rifle bolt feeling shift action than the 997.2gt3 shifter. The gt3 shift offers an easier/slicker engagement, but is way too long in throw and nowhere near as precise or satisfying to use as the 7ssk

ZeroH said:
Honestly the 997ssk is by far and away a more direct rifle bolt feeling shift action than the 997.2gt3 shifter. The gt3 shift offers an easier/slicker engagement, but is way too long in throw and nowhere near as precise or satisfying to use as the 7ssk

I get that but am really pleased with the 'normal' GT3 version I've just installed. I've had quickshifts in cars before, and in a road car they can make the driving experience worse. Everything too close together and easy to get the wrong gear when popping to Sainsburys! If you car is used on track a lot where you are 'in the zone' then yes to SSK. All IMHO!

Changing the shifter is now in my top three enhancements to my car along with geometry set up and rigid engine mounts. These three things have improved the driving experience immensely!

Ian

Paynewright said:
ZeroH said:

I get that but am really pleased with the 'normal' GT3 version I've just installed. I've had quickshifts in cars before, and in a road car they can make the driving experience worse. Everything too close together and easy to get the wrong gear when popping to Sainsburys! If you car is used on track a lot where you are 'in the zone' then yes to SSK. All IMHO!

Changing the shifter is now in my top three enhancements to my car along with geometry set up and rigid engine mounts. These three things have improved the driving experience immensely!

Ian
Agree that for daily use the non ssk is an easier proposition , although I also found it more vague with less positive engagement.

Quickshifts differ massively - I've also had the Techart short shift kit in my turbo and that was an absolultey vile mechanism. I literally threw it in the bin - had no interest in reselling it as didn't want anyone else to suffer its awfulness !!

Re top enhancements - I can honestly say that fitting the OE GT3 Recaro seat (leather) has made the world of difference to the drive experience.

I got my GT3 2010> shifter yesterday from OPC

As someone already said. Much cheaper than other Porsche part websites!

P/N 99742401091

Looking forward to putting it into my 996 turbo. Also have new RSS mounts and a Powerflex gearbox insert time go in at the same time.

Having read lots of reviews across all forums I'm looking forward to a very positive improvement :thumb:

Word of warning on the gearbox insert.....I'm taking mine out at the weekend. I have rss engine mounts, these increased the nvh very slightly but made a big difference to the ride especially as my original mounts were shot but adding the gearbox mount made a huge difference to nvh. I've now installed some numeric cables which are great and I'm taking the power flex gearbox mount out to quieten things down again.

jond58 said:
Word of warning on the gearbox insert.....I'm taking mine out at the weekend. I have rss engine mounts, these increased the nvh very slightly but made a big difference to the ride especially as my original mounts were shot but adding the gearbox mount made a huge difference to nvh. I've now installed some numeric cables which are great and I'm taking the power flex gearbox mount out to quieten things down again.

Which insert and which stiffness did you use? There are quite a few complaints similar to yours depending on what you choose. I noticed no nvh difference at all with powerflex yellow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back