Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 shifter and new shift cables

stefant

Trainee
Just installed a new 997 shifter and shift cables it has transformed the gear changes! Gone has the sloppy long throw - much more positive and tight
Also centres as it should.

Don't know how much was down to the shifter and how much down to the cables.

The shifter is reasonable from the OPC with usual 10% discount. The cables are more expensive!

Well worth doing.

Are you talking short shifter :dont know:

Nope just the standard 997 shifter, which has a shorter shift than the standard 996. Wasn't keen on a short shift

I got a used 987/997 standard shifter off eBay a year ago for £45 - they show very little wear (unlike the 986/996 version which go a bit sloppy) so a good way to save money ;-)

997 gear shifter: 99742401000

got it for about £155 after discount from Porsche centre Chester. My cables needed doing too, but yours may not...

I have the 997 shifter but mines terrible!! All down to the cables, one of which has seen better days. I'm swapping to numeric racing cables so I'll report back on those as an upgrade

The 997.2 GT3 shifter runs on metal bushes, thats the one i went for:

496607d1292519787-just-installed-a-997-gt3-short-shift-console-in-my-996-c4s-suncoastssk.jpg

I'm also interested in this as my shifter feels a bit sloppy. Honest opinions on what is the best option:
- 997 or 997 GT3 shifter
- Aftermarket SS (ebay / generic)
- Stock shifter with bushes from ebay SS kit

I'm not looking for an exceptionally short throw, which I fear the ebay kits will have, but rather a crips, smooth action with no play.

Steve,

Is there much of a price difference between 997 and 997gt3? Also do you have the part number?

And a general question - apart from cables are there any bushes / connectors Etc worth replacing whilst changing the selector?

Ian

As above, I'd like the same. Have often wondered if the bushings can be replaced rather than the whole unit??

From memory.
I paid circa £140 for the 997 shifter which is a shorter throw than the 996 but plastic bushed. The gt3 with the metal bushing was circa £350. All from Porsche with club discount. I had an eBay modded shifter fitted (previous owner) it was terrible!!!
I do feel replacement cables will make a huge difference. Watch some early reviews when the cars were new and no one says 'oh the gear change is horrid'. Fast forward 18years with 18 years worth of wearing out done and everyone's moaning about it!!

rgracin said:
As above, I'd like the same. Have often wondered if the bushings can be replaced rather than the whole unit??

If you want metal bushes added to your shifter or to an aftermarket SSK contact Alex on here as he engineers them . they are very good and a fair price.

the GT3 shifter is the same throw as the standard 997 shifter but has metal bushes so it gives a much more solid rifle action gear change

If you want a standard 997 throw but the best you can get then the GT3 is the one to have if you want an SSK with metal bushes or your own shifter modified to metal bushes then Alex is your guy. :thumb: :thumb:

Paynewright said:
Steve,

Is there much of a price difference between 997 and 997gt3? Also do you have the part number?

Ian

try 99742401091

I think i paid about £250 for mine several years ago from Porsche with PCGB discount.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back