Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

corroded wheel bolts

b8575

Silverstone
Following on from my post on my new car thread. When refurbing the wheel bolts a couple came out corroded on the collar like the picture below.

Should these be replaced? The edges were crumbling but the rest of the collar seemed pretty solid

Attachments

• bolt_615.jpg
    bolt_615.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,990
I would replace the ones with the crumbling collars and get some Castrol Molub Alloy Paste, to apply to the new ones between the collars and the bolts.

Windy101 said:
I would replace the ones with the crumbling collars and get some Castrol Molub Alloy Paste, to apply to the new ones between the collars and the bolts.

Hi, I haven't looked at all but where would the best place be to buy some new bolts, I have seen on previous posts that eBay has been a good place, but tbh I'm a bit nervous about that as I have this vision of me wheels rolling pass me when out driving one day as I bought some cheap Chinese bolts :eh!:

Swamps :)

To be honest then i've see far .. far worse that customers have not replaced .. i only start to get really concerned when the collar touching the wheel starts to fall apart ...

Don't tell anyone but if really bad and the customer says no then i tend to chuck some of my spare ones i have on the car regardless and not say anything .

I would always flag these up though as let's face it .. it shouldn't be like that .

Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated. Sounds like they probably should be replaced but are also probably ok for a bit.

I'll have a look at some non Porsche replacements but I'll check out the OPC prices as well or just drop it to @demort and tell him I don't want them replaced :wink:

Will post back here if I find any decent after market bolts including the ones @golfprorich suggested

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back