Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black 2002 996.2 C2 - Daily Driver

LED bulbs are good - big improvement on halogens.

Beautiful weather today, particularly after the recent rain and storms, so after a quick wash a drive round the Cotswolds.

SHVbCH7.jpg

:thumbs:

Couple of months and nothing exciting to report - car performs faultlessly day in/day out, uses no fluids other than screenwash and petrol and does a great job as a fast daily.

Obviously this time of year with all the above, it looks minging!

WRqWATy.jpg

Hi

Great car and really enjoyed the thread. Maybe I should delete the rear wiper on my 993. The arm is cracked so I cannot use it in any case. Will have to think about it.

Berni

TurboRob said:
LED bulbs are good - big improvement on halogens.

:thumbs:

Are LED bulbs 'plug and play' or do you have to fit ballasts etc?

I'm looking for a solution for mum's X Type, which has dreadful projector halogens.

Are you happy with the PS4's?

Thinking about getting a set...

HSC911 said:
:welcome:

:thumb:

Haha thanks!
I'll introduce myself properly in my own thread - just purchased last week! :)

Robertb said:
Are LED bulbs 'plug and play' or do you have to fit ballasts etc?

I'm looking for a solution for mum's X Type, which has dreadful projector halogens.

Plug and play in the sense you just change the bulbs - no ballasts or any other bits. For the 996.2 headlights I had to trim the plastic retaining adaptor that locates the standard H7 bulb so that the LED assy sits correctly. Just needed a tickle with a file.

00by said:
Are you happy with the PS4's?

Thinking about getting a set...

Yes, I think they suit the use of the car well - i.e. everyday driver. I'm running 36psi in the rear tyres (I think book is 44psi) as I don't spend hours at high speed on glass-smooth motorways. The extra compliance of the lower rear tyre pressure is notable on my B-road commuting, and tyres appear to be wearing evenly across tread at mo.

Quarterly update. At the end of January I bought a new house that had a bigger garage, which means the 996 gets a space inside!

WTJpn6p.jpg

Given the current predicament with covid lockdown this has been a double blessing as I now have somewhere inside to fiddle on the 996.

So a list of a few bits and pieces I want to get done, one of which was removing the rear seats and belts all together. I have never used the rear seats, have no intention of doing so and when I go camping/on roadtrips in the car would prefer the extra/cleaner space to stow stuff.

7my9F5k.jpg

Just need to get some bungs to tidy up holes where seat mounts went.

Out of interest I weighed what came out:

d10AMWy.jpg

SwLY2QY.jpg

osnSfmc.jpg

Seat belt reels and bolts each side 1.2kg, 2.4kg total
Seat bases each side 850g, 1.7kg total
Seat backs each side 4kg (!) each side, 8kg total

So total for ditching rear seats and belts is 12kg.

The rear wiper and arm I removed earlier this year weighs 1.7kg.

APLZttg.jpg

Cheers,
Rob

Hey Rob,

Good to see the house move went well! Much garage jealousy over here.

Removing the rear seats makes sense, they really are of very little use!

Thanks Adam, I hate moving house but it's done now!

One of the other 'lockdown jobs' I've done is another headlight lens refurb - last year before the trip to Le Mans I did this but without applying a clear topcoat so the cloudy/dull plastic returned again after a few months.

Similar to before, I flatted back the surface of the headlight lenses with 800 > 1200 > 1500 grit, but before polishing applied a few coats of 'heavy duty' polyurethane lacquer from a spray can. Once that had gone off and been left overnight I flatted back the lacquer with 2500 grit before machine polishing with a DA and farecla polishes to a crystal clear finish.

eQw2LVj.jpg

dNr6Cpc.jpg

Much better finish and will last this time.

Cheers,Rob

Neither, paint dust from painting garage walls that hadn't quite finished efflorescencing.

Few more bits done over lockdown kept me entertained whilst I couldn't drive the 996:

Aux belt pulley bearings replaced and the pulleys themselves tidied-up with a lick of paint:

QQEFM7D.jpg

ZeX2S8v.jpg

Yb5HBHd.jpg

Wheel bolts tidied-up:

AbaXgmW.jpg

TG 200-cell cats waiting to go on:

yF2C68C.jpg

A chinese Durametric cable that I managed to get working on my macbook with a virtual machine running XP:

jAaFNnI.jpg

PWbRXV9.jpg

And a decent/wash polish:

xCxNlL6.jpg

Means we're just waiting for the pubs to reopen now!

Yvn4lPS.jpg

Looks great! What do you use for your machine polish? My car is covered I swirls and I'd love to do something about it!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back