Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

AOS - is it time to replace it?

PGD

Silverstone
Hey folks.

Before I splash the cash I just wanted to check I was going down the right lines:

I've got a smear of oil inside the throttle body. Enough to pool into a few drops with the TB removed

After a very short journey ie pulling the car out of the garage. I'll get a puff of blue smoke on restarting the engine.

Is this a pretty sure sign the AOS needs replacing?

Thanks in advance for any help 👍

Basically .. No .

997 is not a 996 .. on both models you will get a certain amount of oil in the manifold .

Excessive amounts are difficult to say .. if you had pools of oil in the manifold and smoking on start up then ( more than 10 seconds ) i would lean towards yes but the symptoms of a 997 failure on these is usually different from a 996 ..

A whistling noise or indeed a shreek is more common ... these suffer from vacuum failure .. ie a collapse that causes a vacuum and a noise .

Basically a smear of oil is totally normal .

If it ain't broke ... then just monitor it .

Whats the oil consumption like? Mine went from 1200 miles a litre, to 1000, to 700, to 300 and smoke all over the place on start up......

Of course, when you get to that stage, oil gets into all sorts of places in the system and it took a few months and a few thousand miles to stop burning oil out the back from where it had got to.

Ok fair enough, I'll leave it then 👍

Oil consumption is about 1/2 a litre to 1000 miles.

PGD said:
Ok fair enough, I'll leave it then 👍

Oil consumption is about 1/2 a litre to 1000 miles.

Porsche say 600 miles to a litre is perfectly fine.... What oil are you using? Whats the mileage?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back