Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

spoiler in manual mode

Marlon

I videoed my spoiler in automatic mode and it raises at 77mph and lowers at 40mph.
I believe this is dependent upon engine temp and that when its hotter it rises at 50mph.

Anyway, here's a question about manual setting: if I raise it manually after start up and leave it in manual mode (i.e. button green light on) when does the spoiler lower its self?

After a manual raise, my 996 one goes back down when its gone through a 'cycle' of >75 mph then back below 50 or whatever it is.

I would have thought the spoiler would not make much difference to engine cooling as its closed off at the back with the rubber bellows.

Click ign on and press the button - thatll keep it up all the time

engine running and button pressed, once its been through a cycle as mentioned, it returns to normal operation.

yes its dependent on engine temp, it may stay down at motorway speeds to help keep the hot air in. Least thats what I recall the hand book said....

So if I have this right - if I raise the spoiler with the ignition on but without the engine running, then the spoiler says up all the time? I will have to test this.
If the spoiler is raised with the engine running the spoiler will retract once its gone through its cycle - ie over 75 then down to 40, but what happens if you don't drive through the cycle - ie if you dont reach the 75 mph?

As per image ..

Also as mentioned above the car will drop into auto mode when you hit 75 or 50 as per the image ... manual mode would need to be done when stopped if you wanted it up again .

Attachments

• spoiler_1_736.jpg
    spoiler_1_736.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 3,436
Thanks for all the replies. @demort - Based upon your post I assume that if its raised manually and you drive to the shops and don't get over lets say 30mph, then the spoiler will stay up and that it will remain up until you drive over the automatic lowering threshold, be that 38 or 40mph.

The spoiler can be coded on and off .. ie fixed wing or raised spoiler but i don't remember any coding for timing of the raise / lower .. at least on the piwis anyways .

When i service a car i raise the spoiler to lubricate the mechanism .. its up when i go on road test .. i will reach speeds of 65 but no higher ( country roads ) and the spoiler is still raised when i get back .

If you don't reach the auto speed for a raise .. ie 75 then it will not go into auto mode and lower on its own .

If the engine bay is hot .. as per the image then the auto speed would be 50 .

Basically if you never reach the automatic raise speed then it will stay up ..

if you wanted it permanently up then you would do this mechanically as i've never seen coding for this option .

thanks deMort - Thats clear, in fact I tested this tonight and the spoiler was still up when I returned from a drive. To keep it up once the ignition is turned off I guess I'd have to press the 'raise button' so the green light came back on.

As far as i'm aware then if you raise the spoiler and then lock the car it will stay in the raised position .. i'm afraid i've not tested this as i've never needed to ...

Or in essence i've never bothered taking any notice if it does or does not !

I think this is what it does though .

Basically if in the raised position and you never hit the top speed for raising it on auto mode then it stays up regardless until you press lower on the spoiler button .

If you desire to have it permanently raised then i would suggest raising it then unplugging the motor .. i'm not sure if you will get error messages but i think not .

What you're saying seems to be mirroring my testing. Its not that I want it permanantly in the raised position, I just want to know how it functions. Cheers :thumb:

Okay, so here is the result of my testing:

Automatic mode is as described in this thread i.e. rises and lowers at certain speeds depending upon the engine temperature (In my testing: raised at 77 mph, lowers at 40 mph)

Manual mode: if its raised before setting off by pressing the manual button (light on) the spoiler will then stay raised regardless of the speed for as long a the engine is running - I've been above 77mph and the spoiler is still raised when I park up.

Starting the car with the spoiler in the raised position the light defaults to off (automatic mode). The spoiler will retract if the car reaches 40mph and then returns to normal automatic functions. (If you don't get to 40mph the spoiler will stay raised.)

If the spoiler is in the raised position before starting off and the manual button is pressed (light on) then, as discussed, the spoiler will remain raised regardless of the speeds reached.

So to keep the spoiler in the raised position all the time, you need to press the manual button (light on) each time you start up the car.

Leaving the spoiler up continuously means the rams are under constant pressure. Let me know when you need new rams , I had a man make me some, with removable tops to change the O-rings in future ( the originals are sealed units and AFAIK £1600 + from Porsche ) I replaced the O rings and internal springs and can supply as a kit ready to go if interested. I haven't got any in stock at present but if enough interest is there I'll get some done. I expect that they will be roughly £750 the pair , hopefully less.

jl-c has pointed out something very important .. i had assumed you had a non Turbo which is operated via cables .. my bad ..

The Turbo as he has pointed out is a pressure fed ram system ..

After looking then i find you haven't mentioned which car you have .. a sig would help :)

For a Turbo then leaving it in the up position could well accelerate the wear on the system .

@ jl-c :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back