Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wandering steering

Daemo

Looking for a little advise please.. my car wanders and feels bloody scary to be honest.. one minute the steering wheel is spot on then it can be 1/8 of a turn out to keep the car in a straight line. This is what has been replaced so far. 4x coffin arms, front control arms, track rod ends, all meyle parts. Literally feels all over the road and worse if you hit a bump.. car is lowered on new eibach springs. The weird thing is i drove 160 miles without issue, then next time i got in the car after about 10 mins it felt scary as hell.. any ideas please, could arb bushes cause this ? Any ideasgreatfully received..

Today I spent a couple of hours at one of centre gravity's suspension and geo Saturday health check clinics. They took me for a road test to assess the car's handling before testing damper efficiency and making a thorough visual examination of the suspension components, brakes, tyres and geo.

If your not too far away, I'd get your car over to them as I'm sure they will be able to pin-point the cause of your wayward steering in matter of minutes.

Has it had the geometry set up after those parts were fitted? If not then suggest you get that done asap. Many suspension bolts are eccentric to allow adjustment.

Centre gravity set mine up and it was transformed! Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

kurlykris said:
Daemo, just to clarify, was the car driving like this before you changed the suspension parts, or did you change the parts in an attempt to fix it ?

Have a quick read here :
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=137271&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=steering+rack

Yes it was driving like this prior to replacing parts, i replace parts to try and remedy. The parts changed were shot s i thought it would cure. I will try arb bushes next...

Car was lowered prior to my ownership and it is too low for me and the roads around me so i will be raising the car. It was only done a few months ago by the previous owner.
I am assuming when the car was lowereed nothing else was slackened off to let everything find its new position therefore some bushes could have been torn. ?

Does it happen when the temperature drops, or the roads turn wet?

What tyres and how old are they?

Changing my top mounts fixed a similar issue.

Are your rear shocks ok? Mine let go in France a while ago and drove in similar way to how you described.
Should be an easy visual check to see if there's any dampness.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back