Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 27
997 : 2004- 63
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 3
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 29
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 7
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: turbo DIY Exhaust upgrade Reply with quote

Can I get some help please people on what’s the best way and tools to get these exhaust to turbo nuts off? I’ve been giving it plenty with 13mm ring spanner but not budging and starting to round the nuts off.

Also been trying the torx screws on the turbo guard and snapped the damn thing. Is this repairable as a thread is stuck in the scavenger housing now!!

Ultimately looking to get the exhaust off for an upgrade and change out the plugs whilst I’m in there. Any helps and tips from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

NH

Thanks

Last edited by NickHappy on Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

chaser
Suzuka

2005 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of mine were almost rusted away so I applied a lot of heat and used a cold chisel to crack them off , then a pair of mole grips to wind them out. The uppermost nuts were all ok as are out of the sh*tstream.
Oxyacetylene or decent blowtorch to get them red then douse with water to cool will almost always loosen them.
The broken bolt will need to be drilled and maybe retapped, unless there is a stub of the thread showing, in which case I have had success with mig welding a nut to the stub, the heat created loosens the thread, the wind out with a spanner.

Gazc2
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found the best way was to take a dremel to the washer below the nut and punch the washer out with a screwdriver/chisel this takes the pressure of the nut Its a time consuming job unfortunately.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=135648

some more info in my thread
1987 3.2 Cab
1986 3.3 Turbo
1986 944 2.5 (later fitted with a 2.7 after wife went scuba diving in a flood and popped a piston through the block)

IMG_20190908_100608.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.98 KB
 Viewed:  1865 Time(s)

IMG_20190908_100608.jpg

IMG_20190831_182956.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.45 KB
 Viewed:  1865 Time(s)

IMG_20190831_182956.jpg

darkhorse
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaser wrote:
A lot of mine were almost rusted away so I applied a lot of heat and used a cold chisel to crack them off , then a pair of mole grips to wind them out. The uppermost nuts were all ok as are out of the sh*tstream.
Oxyacetylene or decent blowtorch to get them red then douse with water to cool will almost always loosen them.
The broken bolt will need to be drilled and maybe retapped, unless there is a stub of the thread showing, in which case I have had success with mig welding a nut to the stub, the heat created loosens the thread, the wind out with a spanner.

Agree with this.
whats the condition of the bottom 2 nuts on each side? top one looks ok. I would do as above, you dont need Oxy though if you dont have it. I used MAP gas (plumbing Map gas torch) and that does the job, just takes longer to get them red hot.

Looks like you have nothing left to get on to with the snapped one, so you will need to drill it out , then you can collapse the remaining thread in and retap if needed. I think I still have a drain tank kicking around so could measure the depth if you need to know regards drilling it out.

Take it slow and steady, get the right tools needed if you dont have them and tackle it one side at a time.
For the other side bolt (for the heatshield) you need to get the turbo drain hot around the bolt, as hot as possible within reason and the bolt should wind out.

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work and we like any garage use oxy acetylene .. heat the nut up till its glowing red then its either a hammer / chisel to at first try and split the nut then a second heat and hit at an angle to split the nut .

You can use sockets such as this instead of the chisel approach ..

https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set/p63045?store=FK&utm

They don't really fit on these turbo nuts though.

The heat source .. obviously we have industrial oxy accet .. but a possible if still expensive item ..

https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/120l-brazing-and-welding-torch-kit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIytKeiLqf5wIVRLDtCh1VTg_rEAQYDSABEgIPj_D_BwE

If the smaller versions work then that's fine by me .. you just need to get it red hot basically .

A snapped bolt and its drill out time and cut a new thread or fit a timesert .

You could probably get away with leaving that heat shield bolt as it is though .

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Indy Mechanic .

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply’s - thanks so much gents; really appreciated. Gaz, DarkHorse, DeMort that’s all really helpful and looks like it’s going to me more than just spanner’s needed to get these out.

I’ll get working on the washer with the Dremel and see how that goes. As for the scavenger tank nut, a drill out will hopefully sort that out.

Ill keep you posted 👍🏻👍🏻

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaser wrote:

Cheers for this - a trip to the plumbers merchant for a blow torch i think 🤔

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let there be light!!

Wasn’t too bad in the end - plenty of soaking in penetration oil seems to have helped, managed to get all eight studs out with some help using this:

https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set/p63045?store=BH&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAiAg9rxBRADEiwAxKDTuorLDjtoL-8R49-iuzVdY2XNr2BPr2iaZXbuOvXIQai3umne_BnElhoCrQgQAvD_BwE

Brilliant bit of kit, just need to get the O2 sensors off next and then drop it of the rear hanger. Any advice on where to get replacement studs and bolts from. Stainless preferred I think.

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update on the new exhaust project;

Unhooked the exhaust all OK after cutting through the straps with a dermel tool, dropped the O2 sensor wiring through to the floor after removing the Y-pipe and air box.

Just can’t these O2 sensors off - managed to get 1 loose with a special O2 tool and breaker bar but the remaining three just aren’t shifting!! Will have to give it a go with some heat - if still no luck a local Indy may have to help me out.

New TG linked performance exhaust, headers and tips have arrived - looks good so far - looking forward to a full sound test soon 👍🏻

Looks like I’m going to need some new nuts and studs for the headers plus the CAT to turbo mounts - where is best to source these??

tgdesign
Monza

2006 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also fitted my Kline exhaust myself , it was easy enough except for most of the bolts linking cat to turbo snapped . Got the manifolds to do next .

7DEA9415-E9DB-429B-A532-DCDFD3ACE5EB.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  1389 Time(s)

7DEA9415-E9DB-429B-A532-DCDFD3ACE5EB.jpeg

keendean
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought new pre and post cat Bosch sensors from ECP, easier if putting back to standard in the future. My old exhaust can now just be put straight on.

Incidentally, I have a pair of carbon Kline tail pipes of a 997.1 turbo for sale at one point, boxed as new. I’m loving my Kline, best mod so far Smile

Jimbob2911

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m glad you like the Kline. I am waiting for mine to arrive end of feb. Went with 100cel plus the headers. Can’t wait.

Scholester
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keendean wrote:
I just bought new pre and post cat Bosch sensors from ECP, easier if putting back to standard in the future. My old exhaust can now just be put straight on.

Incidentally, I have a pair of carbon Kline tail pipes of a 997.1 turbo for sale at one point, boxed as new. I’m loving my Kline, best mod so far Smile

Another advocate here for leaving the old sensors on the old exhaust. Apparently, they don't always take kindly to being moved and I thought it false economy if the old exhaust was damaged in the process.

darkhorse
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove mine as one of the O2 sensors was goosed and the car was running like a dog. They came out easily using some map gas. I wouldn't even bother trying them without heat as you will round them out.
Just heat the area around the O2 sensor, not the O2 sensor body as it not the sensor thread body you want to expand.

Good progress Nickhappy Smile
Not sure why you cut the exhaust straps though?!!

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scholester wrote:
keendean wrote:

Another advocate here for leaving the old sensors on the old exhaust. Apparently, they don't always take kindly to being moved and I thought it false economy if the old exhaust was damaged in the process.

Good suggestion Gents - think I’ll give it a go with some MAP gas and then if they’re not freeing up this may be the way to go. Not cheap though are they??!! @£450 is the best price I can find...

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkhorse wrote:
I had to remove mine as one of the O2 sensors was goosed and the car was running like a dog. They came out easily using some map gas. I wouldn't even bother trying them without heat as you will round them out.
Just heat the area around the O2 sensor, not the O2 sensor body as it not the sensor thread body you want to expand.

Cheers for that DarkHorse - MAP gas ready and waiting for this weekend Thumb

When I say straps I meant the strap bolts - they were completely rusted and no chance of spinning. Straps are fine to reuse with new bolts

darkhorse
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickHappy wrote:
darkhorse wrote:

Cheers for that DarkHorse - MAP gas ready and waiting for this weekend Thumb

When I say straps I meant the strap bolts - they were completely rusted and no chance of spinning. Straps are fine to reuse with new bolts

Ah yes, the bolts!! Good stuff!
I used an O2 sensor tool with a 3/8 extension bar (hilka sensor tool from screwfix). Heat the surrounding exhaust area for a while.. until its starting to get a little cherry red around the O2 sensor. Then give it a good tweak with the breaker (or ratchet) and it should wind out. Rinse and repeat!
Mine all came out like this with no issue, once its loosened half a turn I wind it back the other way a little and then undo a turn, then the other way a little. That clears the crud from the threads and ensures you won't round the hex off when undoing it(in theory).

adamw
Reims

1998 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Nick
Looking forward to sound check Grin

EX : 02' 996 Turbo Coupe ( May 17 - Sept 19 )
EX : 95' 993 C4 Coupe ( Dec 10 - Oct 16 )
EX : 00' 996 C2 Cab ( Jul 09 - Oct 10 )
EX : 03' 986 Boxster S ( May 06 - Dec 08 )

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamw wrote:
Great work Nick
Looking forward to sound check Grin

Same here thumbsup

NickHappy
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress update; got the MAP gas on the O2 sensors and worked a treat, I’ve had to replace one though as the thread was well and truly worn. Something I’ll have to get round to at some point is to re-tap the original exhaust.

Given everything a good clean up and starting to mount the new exhaust and cats on, put it all together as a loose fit and upon tightening it down all coming together nicely Thumb

Look forward to getting it fired up this weekend for sound check Grin

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: