Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door Hinge renewal

And yes, The door arrestor pin was removed. I mounted the wooden frame on a set of wheels so I could fully open the door.

Attachments

• img_6175a_159.jpg
    img_6175a_159.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 3,451
All for the sake of not damaging the paint on the door hinge bolts and the worry about not lining the door up properly on the re-fit. Looking back I am not sure it was worth the hassle, but I wasn't in a hurry at the time.

Attachments

• img_6187a_193.jpg
    img_6187a_193.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 3,447
one of the easier parts of the job...

Attachments

• img_6205a_185.jpg
    img_6205a_185.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 3,427
but I did have to modify the bottom end of the clamp by drilling holes through at different angles so I could turn gradually with a small alan key.

The trouble I go to to save a few bucks

Great Job as ever Trev, good pics too, THANKS for posting. Pietrzj given all the cheap knock-offs in car parts and tools, it can be difficult to know just what you are buying, I note the Made in England stamp on the replacement clamp that did the job...(-: Put a couple of Porsche badges on that frame apply a bit of patina and advertise it on fleabay..as ex Singer prototype special tool... though not the sewing machine manufacturer.. :?:

Hi

Took my drivers door off today. Getting the hinge pins out was hell. It really was. Almost gave up which is unlike me. Will refit tomorrow I hope! Have new bushes, doorstay and will pick up new hinge pins tomorrow. All from type911 as usual for me.

I thought I may be able to reuse the hinge pins but I bent them significantly getting them out.

Will update further......

Berni

Hi

Another update, new bushes are in and reamed. Why they do not sell them ready sized I don't know. Reaming them is a pain.

I took the opportunity to tidy the wiring up a bit and replace some of the old harness tape with new harness tape.

The real nightmare was that when removing the door the main main plastic harness connector snagged and the top of the connector fell down into the hinge pillar. All the way down. I was hoping it had fallen into the sill but no such luck. It took my brother and I over an hour with an inspection borescope and special wiring hooks to retrieve it. The part is not available separately from the loom so we were well incentivised to get it back.

One plus is that when I went into the door to fit the new stay I found a torch I had been looking for for ages in the bottom of the door!

Funnily enough the replacement stay I bought does not have the obvious ridge that stops the door when half open and requires an extra push to overcome. It will be interesting to see how this one works in practice. People often perform a modification to the standard stays to reduce the strength of the resistance of the stay to reduce the likelihood of the door pillar mounting point breaking free. A common fault on the 993. Even though my car is a high mileage example both mine are fine and I really want them to stay that way as it is a major repair to fix them properly.

So the door is pretty much ready to go on. I will do some rustproofing before it does though

Berni

Hi Trev

Thank you. I got the door back on, which again was not easy. Even though the brass bushes were in as tightly as possible the hinge part of the door would not go back in as the new bushes must be slightly taller than the old. So they had to be filed down and chamfered slightly. And even then the door had to be "helped" a bit to get them home. The new pins were thankfully driven in easily.

There is no play in the door whatsoever and it closes with correct alignment now.

I will do the final clean up tomorrow and fit the new aluminium sill protectors. The plastic ones were destroyed when removing them to get access to rustproof the sill.

Will post some pictures tomorrow.

All the best

Berni

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back