Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Decided to fit the Top Gear X pipe cats. Need to reduce DB!!

have you got ant CATs at all on your current set up as cant see any?

would quieten it down but make it slower/

Thanks C11BRA & Phil 997.

This sounds like the TB and Plenum upgrade is was thinking about doing on my previous 987..i brought the IPD kit but sold the car before id had chance to fit....but their were divided opinions particaly around the loss of low down torque.

Think i'm going Top Gear Valvetronic and 200 cell cats

NLW73 said:

No cats. It has Designtek bypass pipes & lambda extensions.

Probably why the current set up is so raw!

villaman said:

This sounds like the TB and Plenum upgrade is was thinking about doing on my previous 987..i brought the IPD kit but sold the car before id had chance to fit....but their were divided opinions particaly around the loss of low down torque.

I already have the TB & IPD. Looks like I might get out dragged by a Montego if I'm not careful.

C11BRA said:
villaman said:

I already have the TB & IPD. Looks like I might get out dragged by a Montego if I'm not careful.

Did you notice much difference with the power delivery with the IPD kit?

So. Tonight's progress was slow. Every bolt in the cat to silencer clamps snapped due to seized nuts. As expected tbh.

Another Porsche mug & Bose soundtrack.

Scrap metal.

Long bolt at front of silencer also snapped so I will angle grind off tomorrow. However. The new bolt is going to be a challenge, as the Designtek performance manifold is in the way. Hmmmmm. Will look at again tomorrow.

I am a bit worried about this comment from another forum member in 2018.

'Anyone that's fitted the Topgear X-pipe have you had to put longer clamps on compared to the standard ones? Where the link pipe fits to the silencer pipes.

Seems a very big gap with mine when offered up with current set up.'

Oh. And I think I might have solved the long bolt issue. They were in upside down maybe. This schematic shows the bolts entering from above.

Looking to replace all these bolts with stainless or titanium. Steel is just stoopid.

villaman said:

I had the IPD on my gen1 and also have it on my gen2 but you do need to get it remapped to get the best from everything. maybe the reason some say it loses power or doesn't work is that they either did it as a stand alone mod or didnt get a remap. its important to do it as part of a set of mods inc exhaust , many of these mods dont achieve optimum as a stand alone mod

C11BRA said:
NLW73 said:

No cats. It has Designtek bypass pipes & lambda extensions.

Probably why the current set up is so raw!

Christ that must be loud..

Also not good for Low down power. Fine for top end and if you are flat chat on the track

Cats help with back pressure as well as regulating flow so you might find it better on the road as more torque.

Also if that car was not mapped with the old exhaust on it might be better on fuel too . Was it running rich?

It runs very rich.

Any recommendations on getting it re-mapped?

Or just see how it drives? The current vin data in the DME ECU is from an Orange 2007 GT3-RS. Bonkers but true.

Wow! 10% discount and free next day delivery from Top Gear 911UK coupon code.

Nice butterfly strengthening plate on both side.

C11BRA said:
It runs very rich.

Any recommendations on getting it re-mapped?

Or just see how it drives? The current vin data in the DME ECU is from an Orange 2007 GT3-RS. Bonkers but true.

for remaps I used DMS in Southampton on my gen1 and Chipwizards on my gen2 . dont buy an off the shelf generic reflash ,get it properly live mapped. :thumb:

nice!!

Top gear work and welding is sublime. as my garage guy said it looks like it would survive several nuclear holocausts. seems a shame to put in on the car and discolour too ;-)

I would put the CATs and pipes on, let is settle in and see what you think. are you keeping the same back boxes? its running rich as there is no cats in there and it should have been re mapped to account for that. it might be a standard set up and the ECU should recognise CATs and adjust the mixture a bit. depends what you want from it all and how much $$ you want to chuck at it.

it will drive better as a road car with the extra torque and back pressure and not drone too I would imagine. that X pipe is supposed to be a bit more of a screamer up the top end than the normal shape ones.

remapping wise there is only one place to go for German cars - Chipwizards and the legend that is Wayne Schofeld!! look him up on facebook.

Thanks guys. Will check them guys out for a re-map if necessary.

Managed to get the Designtek silencer off the drivers side tonight. It's tiny.

Oxygen sensors look like they might not want to come out. Hmmm.

C11BRA said:
Thanks guys. Will check them guys out for a re-map if necessary.

Managed to get the Designtek silencer off the drivers side tonight. It's tiny.

Oxygen sensors look like they might not want to come out. Hmmm.

Its not unusual to have to replace the o2 censors mate the slightest knock can damage them :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back