Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo Value >> 991.1 GTS

Sarllm

Silverstone
Hi everyone

I have owned my current 997.1 Turbo for about 6 years now and loved every minute. It's a 2007 coupe, black on black model, carbon fibre interior, sunroof, FSH (OPC) and driven 72k. Just gone through the major service unscathed with no advisories.

It currently has one year Porsche warranty remaining but I am a worrier and what with the 15 year cap on warranties I think now may be a good time to sell. Reading on here it seems that not everyone bothers with OPC warranties but to me it's peace of mind. I have had a few jobs done over the years which have made the £1k a year a no brainer, but I appreciate everyone's experiences are different. The mileage is obviously higher than ideal (but not ridiculous given the cars age). I paid £43k and looking around it seems reasonable that it's probably still worth similar for a private sale. Does this figure seem realistic?

I know nothing is guaranteed in life but I like the idea of getting in a 991.1 GTS as a replacement as I'd get the benefit of all the nice new tech (compared to a 13 year old car) plus I could hope the GTS wouldn't depreciate too much over a similar period (5-6 years) given it's the last of the NA etc. I personally don't go for loans \ PCP etc and would look to fund the difference with cash (25-30k would be my limit). Am I nuts?????

Thanks for any advice\thoughts!

I can relate to your situation 100% as it's the same one I've been in for well over a year. The only difference is that my sights have been set on a C2S or C4S.

Your suggested £43k asking price seems very fair but in the current market may be optimistic and private buyers are always hard to find. Apart from the colour my car is pretty much the same as yours and £43k is where I'd be happy to end up.

The 991.1 GTS is a great car and is now serious value for money. Depreciation should slow down now so over a few years, like your turbo, it should represent a relatively cheap ownership proposition.

It's all down to whether you can justify the expense of the upgrade to a newer, lower mileage mainstream car over your current iconic one that is heading towards 'modern classic' status.

I decided that I can't and have put a 2 year warranty on my 75k mile car.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck. :thumb:

T8 said:
I can relate to your situation 100% as it's the same one I've been in for well over a year. The only difference is that my sights have been set on a C2S or C4S.

Your suggested £43k asking price seems very fair but in the current market may be optimistic and private buyers are always hard to find. Apart from the colour my car is pretty much the same as yours and £43k is where I'd be happy to end up.

The 991.1 GTS is a great car and is now serious value for money. Depreciation should slow down now so over a few years, like your turbo, it should represent a relatively cheap ownership proposition.

It's all down to whether you can justify the expense of the upgrade to a newer, lower mileage mainstream car over your current iconic one that is heading towards 'modern classic' status.

I decided that I can't and have put a 2 year warranty on my 75k mile car.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck. :thumb:

Thanks for your thoughts T8!

In reality what does "modern classic" really mean? Do you envisage prices strengthening over the next few years (I appreciate no one really knows but would appreciate your take on it)? If they do increase, I guess our examples would still be in the "lower" end of the bracket given their mileage, which leaves me with a car that I don't want to drive (to halt mileage). Plus 15 years + 100k mileage not too far away. I could garage it, but then I'd have to buy a "normal" car I don't really want for daily chores which comes with the inevitable depreciation. I'm not expecting to get rich just trying to be sensible and continue taking advantage of owning a great car without worry. Most people I know spend fortunes on BMW's, Range Rovers etc which after a couple of years are worth (in some cases) less than half what they borrowed for it.

Appreciate there are less 997 turbo's on the road than GTS's, but in all honesty I have seen only a handful of either iteration over the last 6 years where I live.

:puh:

I think in your shoes its a no brainer to switch. GTS very nice.

Prices for most 997 generally way too high imo. How our turbos still worth 43% of their original mrsp 13 years down the line beggars belief. I don't think they'll go down or up but bills get bigger as cars get older and less and less covered under warranty due to many items being down to normal wear and tear ;)

Defo not mad! The 997 turbo is of course amazing, but the 991 GTS likewise. They have dropped significantly recently (compared to the turbo). Id say a great time to swap, the lowest bottom out figure for these cars cant be too far away when compared to that a 997 GTS.

Id say your only issue is selling the Turbo privately (or any Porsche at the moment) versus being stung by greedy dealers wanting a big mark up on both ends :nooo: With your 30K your probably not too far away from a deal...

Yeah selling my car for a fair price could be a stumbling block. Also due to the wife driving the car with kids I'd like to keep the chances of the car ending up in a hedge to a minimum by getting an AWD version (also had a 4s before). GTS4's seem even harder to come by, leaving me at the mercy of being shafted for a trade in etc.

Last weekend I traded in my 2011 997 GTS (I appreciate its not a Turbo) for a 2015 991.1 GTS (PDK 2WD) and I have to say the new car is truly amazing. If you can find one with the correct spec - do it. I would even go as far to say that with the (anticipated) limited depreciation on the 991.1 GTS cars, it may even be worth considering borrowing the money you may need to make the change.

leasky said:
Last weekend I traded in my 2011 997 GTS (I appreciate its not a Turbo) for a 2015 991.1 GTS (PDK 2WD) and I have to say the new car is truly amazing. If you can find one with the correct spec - do it. I would even go as far to say that with the (anticipated) limited depreciation on the 991.1 GTS cars, it may even be worth considering borrowing the money you may need to make the change.

Nice one! If you don't mind me asking did you go via the OPC route and did you get a fair trade in?

Sarllm said:
leasky said:

Nice one! If you don't mind me asking did you go via the OPC route and did you get a fair trade in?

Traded mine in to Alexanders Prestige as they were offering by far the best trade in price (more then £10k above the price offered by OPC against an identical car).

Alexanders were exceptional to deal with and they took a substantial amount of money off the vehicle I was buying to secure the deal.

https://video.citnow.com/vx0p_VP8K0N

Go and get yourself a 991.1.GTS - they really are amazing things and a true step-change from the 997 version.

leasky said:
Sarllm said:
leasky said:

Traded mine in to Alexanders Prestige as they were offering by far the best trade in price (more then £10k above the price offered by OPC against an identical car).

Alexanders were exceptional to deal with and they took a substantial amount of money off the vehicle I was buying to secure the deal.

Go and get yourself a 991.1.GTS - they really are amazing things and a true step-change from the 997 version.

I think you got a bit of a steal there.....

I think you got a bit of a steal there.....[/quote]

Yes mate, I think I did. To be honest, I was sitting in a hotel in Appleby on the Friday evening wondering if I was about to make a huge mistake and how could the 991 variant be so much better than my GTS (given I had Ceramics and an Akro system on mine) - well I couldn't have been furher off the mark; the vehicle is a true step-change from my old one and they are honestly like chalk and cheese. I haven't stopped smiling since 9am on Saturday morning - she is quite simply the best car I have ever had; sublime, refined and an utter beast if you want it. :D :D :D

Sarllm said:
Thanks for your thoughts T8!

In reality what does "modern classic" really mean? Do you envisage prices strengthening over the next few years (I appreciate no one really knows but would appreciate your take on it)?

If they do increase, I guess our examples would still be in the "lower" end of the bracket given their mileage, which leaves me with a car that I don't want to drive (to halt mileage).

Plus 15 years + 100k mileage not too far away. I could garage it, but then I'd have to buy a "normal" car I don't really want for daily chores which comes with the inevitable depreciation. I'm not expecting to get rich just trying to be sensible and continue taking advantage of owning a great car without worry.

From the above it is clear that, although our existing cars are very similar, the use to which we put them is very different. In your circumstances I'd be far more likely to make the change to the newer model. :thumb:

I have other cars for daily and all year round use so my 997T is only used for fun drives and attending Porsche specific events when the weather is decent. I'm certain that it will attain 'modern classic' status in the next few years but I'm not under any illusion that values will increase. I reckon that they'll stay pretty much where they are now.

leasky said:
I think you got a bit of a steal there.....

Yes mate, I think I did. To be honest, I was sitting in a hotel in Appleby on the Friday evening wondering if I was about to make a huge mistake and how could the 991 variant be so much better than my GTS (given I had Ceramics and an Akro system on mine) - well I couldn't have been furher off the mark; the vehicle is a true step-change from my old one and they are honestly like chalk and cheese. I haven't stopped smiling since 9am on Saturday morning - she is quite simply the best car I have ever had; sublime, refined and an utter beast if you want it. :D :D :D[/quote]

The best kept secret in the 911 world :worship: The noise, general ambiance and the outright speed. (Mines a pretend GTS of course :grin:)

leasky said:
Sarllm said:
leasky said:

Wow - that's your new car, looks amazing!?! Nice touch sending you that video as well. :thumbs:

Stunning...what a beautiful car.

I'm not usually a huge fan of the large rear aeros and spoilers but I've got a say it suits this car so well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back