Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a Turbo advice

Creationblue said:
interesting that, I feel like I need to be buying a manual to get the most out of the car on a personal 'feels' level but I actually like my Tip for its ease of driving and its still pretty cool in my book pressing a button when charging on. :?:

I'm back in a manual Boxster after a couple of Tip cars and tbh I find it a pain in the arse :thumb:

Buy what you like not what others recommend.The Tip will be worth less when you sell but will cost less to buy.

Creationblue said:
interesting that, I feel like I need to be buying a manual to get the most out of the car on a personal 'feels' level but I actually like my Tip for its ease of driving and its still pretty cool in my book pressing a button when charging on. :?:

If you're used to a Tip' and move to a turbo there'll be so many other 'feels' going on that going back to manually changing gears is not something you'd even think about. :grin:

HSC911 said:
Just don't start tuning it :roll:

:grin:

haha found out a few days ago that the 997.1 turbo has the same forged engine internals as 997 GT2 RS.

Pretty sure 996 turbo engine the same as 997.1? = good for 620bhp out of the box :grin:

Send her straight to an indy for tune!

Creationblue said:
Rosselder83 said:
Even if the turbos are shot they can be rebuilt as parts can still be had, ive just had both mine rebuiult with billet compressor wheels for around £1100. The drivers side turbo was so corroded it was only the actuator holding it together!

Is it not an engine out job to replace? Was assuming the labour costs would bump the overall cost of turbo replacement.

Completely missed this thread (not been around for a while).

No, taking a turbo off takes a couple of hours. Take the rear PU and I/c off and then undo the various turbo fittings after draining the turbo oil sump. You can get a turbo refurbished from as little as £2-300 if the internals are in good order to £1200 or so if you want an upgrade. You don't need a Porsche specific turbo refurbisher, loads of places do them. :thumb:

As for my car, lots of very nice comments from people who've actually seen it in action - thanks! :oops:

Yes its still for sale, I've got a bit of interest in it at the moment, there seems to be more people looking for turbos at the moment. Always happy to discuss a deal with anyone serious as it has been for sale for a while and I would like to move it on eventually. The current ad in case anyone is interested https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274203367188

Good luck with the search OP :thumb:

Taking the Turbo units off is relatively straight forward, what bu@@ers the job up is taking all the corroded nuts and studs off, I did mine on a 997.1 and it took me a whole morning to get one flange free!
This is what people mean by spending a bit more and getting a car that has had all of this type of work done, a water pump for instance could set you back £1000 plus if it goes into a garage and they have to burn off studs and nuts!
If you have a budget and you can't stretch it, then either wait to see if one comes up at your price or look for a different car, these cars can become money pits if you happen to buy a neglected car.

Check water pump, plugs and coil packs, exhaust condition and has it been removed and new studs and nuts fitted, condition of Turbo's and actuators and coolant pipes which are a weak point on older cars.

Pull front undertray off and look for corroded power steering pipes. Also check the hoses, the ends corrode and split, £500 for one, £250 for the other and the routing is even more in labour...

Check under rear arches for corrosion, very common, but easy fix. Also where the front subframe is bolted to the chassis, the legs there can go a bit too. Top of the gearbox tunnel if you can see it, some plates rust up there.

T8 said:
Creationblue said:
........... as for the manual v Tip question is was more as to weather one or the other was more reliable rather than the actual driving experience.

I've heard of a lot more issues with the manual gearbox compared to Tips.

A lot of big bhp cars use the Tip box with little/no modification.

Tip boxes are more reliable than manual boxes. Manuals have a few issues, most of which are outlined in this topic (2nd gear pop out, difficult shift changes)

Also, a manual box will make the car susceptible to over-revs, which are common on turbo's, the tip box wont let that happen

I personally think the tip box suits the turbo very well, and if you enjoy the tip in your 996 then I'd be 100% confident you'll enjoy it on the turbo

Let me know if you're interested in buying one, mines up for sale and I'm not that far from Bristol.

T8 said:
Creationblue said:
........... as for the manual v Tip question is was more as to weather one or the other was more reliable rather than the actual driving experience.

I've heard of a lot more issues with the manual gearbox compared to Tips.

A lot of big bhp cars use the Tip box with little/no modification.

I don't think either are great in standard form for big power. But the manual can be taken a lot further, particularly with a GT pump, cooler and spray bar. I don't know what ratios are available for the tip, but there's a range available on the manual along with straight cut gears.

Thanks again for the input, so turbos are not necessarily a huge expense, that leaves the exhaust then!

I'm trying to see what options were available and what are worth having, the sports seats are the obvious choice after the gearbox, I also like the Techart exhaust tips, not all have cruise, park assist I guess is handy but not a deal breaker, satnav is surely so out of date it's neither here nor there, BOSE seems pretty much standard, oh and some have white faced dials?? Anything else to note?

Creationblue said:
Thanks again for the input, so turbos are not necessarily a huge expense, that leaves the exhaust then!

I'm trying to see what options were available and what are worth having, the sports seats are the obvious choice after the gearbox, I also like the Techart exhaust tips, not all have cruise, park assist I guess is handy but not a deal breaker, satnav is surely so out of date it's neither here nor there, BOSE seems pretty much standard, oh and some have white faced dials?? Anything else to note?

They're old ish cars now (but still massively capable) so you will have to dig deep every now and then to maintain it - but it's not loosing £££ per day on depreciation. My advice - get it inspected, buy from someone who did not scrimp and get friendly with an Indie :thumb:

The satnav (if original) is nearly pointless - I use my phone (going to change head unit soon) as the unit is soooo bad. Get Bose - that way if you change the head unit you still have decent speakers that you won't need to change.

I went for sport seats but there are opinions on how comfortable the different type of seats are.

Creationblue said:

:frustrated:

Creationblue said:
....... I'm trying to see what options were available and what are worth having, the sports seats are the obvious choice after the gearbox, I also like the Techart exhaust tips, not all have cruise, park assist I guess is handy but not a deal breaker, satnav is surely so out of date it's neither here nor there, BOSE seems pretty much standard, oh and some have white faced dials?? Anything else to note?

A full options list is included in the thread linked below.

Link --> factory options list for a 996

I wouldn't let the lack of any of the things you've mentioned put me off buying an otherwise good car.

Techart exhaust tips do look nice but they're expensive.

Thats a great bit of info :thumb:

Dropped OP a PM

lofi said:
Dropped OP a PM

Is the green meanie for sale?

If so, IMO it would fit the OPs requirements perfectly - especially the exhaust. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back