Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Possible move to a 911T

Lungauer

Trainee
An infrequent poster on forums but always glad of the wisdom they offer when I do, I wonder whether anyone has any specific wisdom to offer as I start my search for a 911T.

For reference I've had Cayman Rs (x2), 997 GTSs (x2) a 964 Carrera 2 (which I regret selling in 2018) and currently a 911 Carrera T. All have been manual coupes and I have loved them all.

Missing in my back catalogue is a long bonnet 911 and clearly the ship has sailed on Ss and Es, however the T can be found for reasonable money, not least as an import from the US.

I'm after a manual coupe non sunroof car and early research shows a 69-71 2.2 to be a good one to go for. I would be looking to gently upgrade the engine and suspension and assume LHD would offer slightly better ergonomics, if not ideal for road positioning.

All advice gratefully received!

In a word... CORROSION... and if none seen patchwork repairs..

Good luck in your search.

If they drive like the '69 LHD 911T I had I wouldn't be in a rush to get one back.

It was like driving a skateboard which in the wet only went in a straight line despite trying to turn into a side road :what: ZF gearbox, 3-speed wipers, thin bike tyres.

I did like the carpets that were fastened in with metal buckles and leather straps.

7hGdMonm.jpg

Last year I had a drive of an '82 SC USA import and that was a different experience how I expected a Porsche with no safety/comfort features to perform :thumb:

THIS would get my dough and I reckon they'd take a knock

As I typed above CORROSION and possible market influences if the cash you are spending on a Porsche is hoped to retain value over time, let alone provide investment potential.

Beam this thread up if you want to see some corrosion and patchwork given that these are OLD cars and unlikely to be repaired by replacing full panels.

Scroll down to the pics to save reading the rambles

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131480&highlight=newbie

If you looked through the pics you will have seen more REAL corrosion Most of an 8x4 sheet of steel went into that old 912

Zingers, as I typed the last time you suggested this Porsche... tread carefully as from a thread on dodgy sales techniques on here it seems there were shenanigans relative to 911 sales in and around that area of the countryside..? NOT that I have any knowledge of this car or the dealership.

Good luck in your search..

a good one will drive wonderfully
a bad one will just be a turd

a 2.2T is one of the lowest power versions though .. do not expect it to be exciting ( from memory a not too revvy 125bhp ) . Depends what you want from a car. I had a 1967 2.0 which personally I didnt really enjoy as it felt more like a classic car than a sports car.

A nice compromise would be a 2.2T with an E or S spec motor .. it would feel worlds apart in terms of power delivery , etc

I've had my 2.4S for 17+ years .. many cars have come & gone , but for basic seat of your pants fun & ownership I've not really found anything else to match it . Admittedly mine is mildly modded ( high compression 2.4S motor with dyno'd 216 bhp )

For more indepth opinions pop over to DDK :thumbs:

dont take this the wrong way Zingari :floor: ... but even from that pic it looks a bit of a messed around dog of a car with completely the wrong suspenbsion settings ( should have a slight amount of rake ) and shitty tyres.

There is a reason the 2.7RS is held up there with such high praise. A good one is wonderful

Zingari said:
If they drive like the '69 LHD 911T I had I wouldn't be in a rush to get one back.

It was like driving a skateboard which in the wet only went in a straight line despite trying to turn into a side road :what: ZF gearbox, 3-speed wipers, thin bike tyres.

I did like the carpets that were fastened in with metal buckles and leather straps.

7hGdMonm.jpg

Last year I had a drive of an '82 SC USA import and that was a different experience how I expected a Porsche with no safety/comfort features to perform :thumb:

THIS would get my dough and I reckon they'd take a knock

hot66 said:
dont take this the wrong way Zingari :floor: ... but even from that pic it looks a bit of a messed around dog of a car with completely the wrong suspenbsion settings ( should have a slight amount of rake ) and shitty tyres.

:floor: As am impressionable 20yr old I was naturally attracted by the Yuppie Guards Red colour and the effect it would have on pulling birds. How it handled was immaterial.

I subsequently found out any rear seat passengers needed to be proficient at treading water given the amount of rain coming in through the back from somewhere. :what: Thereafter the only 'hit' it had with birds was seagulls using it for target practice :roll:

It cost me £1,300 (seller wanted £1,500) and someone it got moved on for a profit when red braces became popular.

:floor: :thumbs:

James aka Hot 66, when you typed " I dident really like it as it felt more like a classic than a sports car" I found no surprises in that statement whatsoever..(-: Be they Porsches or not, they are OLD cars add to that the costs involved and it can get to be scary, perhaps very scary, if one buys based on media or myth...???

A sixties 911 is stone age compared to almost any modern car let alone a modern sports car, which can be exactly that which a well EDUCATED 911 buyer may desire.... Been there done that and greatly enjoyed the process, but it is NOT for dreamers who can get their fingers and much else incinerated..? :eek:

just my opinion on my old 67 car though .... many love them and they can be modded to be really nice ( see all the pre65 racecars )

my 73 2.4S feels completly different being lwb and is still a quick car today

Witton by hot 66, on Flickr

James, in no way am I being critical of your personal opinion, all that I type is no more than my personal opinion, as for it`s worth, is for each to decide who take the time to read it..?

Your 2.4S has the looks of a stunner, though my old patchwork 912 looked well..err..not bad in it`s fresh coat of "Guards Red"...? (-: Today if it still exists would be a very risky proposition with the amount of seam welded patches and filler in it`s makeup...As for it`s imagined market value.. I would not care to guess, but I suspect far in excess relative to it`s worth as an ORIGINAL spec Porsche, and I have not the slightest doubt that there are many patchwork Porsches out there and NOT all of them old "Classics."

At the time I had that old 912 I let a TR6 owning friend drive it , he found the brakes (refurbed) required quite a bit of effort, guess he was used to servo operation of his TR6...A TR6 is pretty stone age is it not..?

As the wise man once declared.. EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE. and old 911s can feel stone age to anyone more used to modern motor cars, which MAY indeed be that which is desired..?

ME..? I still (all too rarely) drive my old +8 Morgan for fun and in car terms one has to really try hard to find something more stone age than that...? However I remember well bighting the rear end of a 993 kitted out with a roll bar, for a few miles on an open and deserted twisting and undulating country road, to the extent that he was unable to shake loose though believe me he tried....the 993 slowed after a few miles to indicate he wanted me to pass. Thus it seems even the performance of stone age cars can surprise those who might think otherwise, just as you suggest James, such fun can be enjoyed in an old 911 compared to modern sports cars, even 911s... and perhaps more importantly not requiring huge horse power or at ballistic licence shredding speeds while being being kept out of the hedges by the skill of the programmer who wrote the all important on-board ECU`s software... Yeah, stone age sure can have it`s advantages..provided you are well up for and AWARE of any possible disadvantages ...?

Just thinking in type.. :eek:ld: :?:

Thanks all for troubling to reply and I am grateful for the honesty of your experience. I must admit I felt my 964 was a bit of a lemon when I first got it compared to the 997 GTS I had at the time, but new Bilsteins, a set of Fuchs and suspension set up by Center Gravity changed all that. The car I'm looking at is a bit of a dog to be honest. An I mported from the US left hooker, non matching numbers, replacement 2.4 engine, resprayed, dodgy panel gap, no history and six year old Vredestein tyres. Would be a bit of a punt but interior looks good and would be the basis for a bit of light hot rodding. Will post a picture when I'm back on a proper computer, but what does the collective think would be a fair price, based on that description? It's up with a reputable UK dealer.

Some photos as promised:
[/img]

Attachments

• lat_0089_283.jpg
    lat_0089_283.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 15,816
  • lat_0082_108.jpg
    lat_0082_108.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 15,816
  • lat_0063_574.jpg
    lat_0063_574.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 15,815
  • lat_0054_286.jpg
    lat_0054_286.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 15,815
  • img_4438_137.jpg
    img_4438_137.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 15,815
  • img_4424_207.jpg
    img_4424_207.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 15,815
  • img_1284_203.jpg
    img_1284_203.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 15,816
It is not how it looks on the surface that is important..?

Patchwork Porsches abound.

Check this thread out, much more detailed pics than mine.

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48783

At least the pics will give you an idea of where to look, assuming that no filler and copious amounts of underseal have been used...?

These cars can rot from the inside out due to condensation dependant on climatic influences..

if your serious about buying an early car it would be well worth posting over on DDK as it will save you money & pain in teh long run .. you'll also get a full opinions on it . What kind of money are thet asking for this one ?

for me it looks like its had poor bodywork done in the past hiding under shiney paint. Some of the shutlines are terrible and the rear 1/4's look all over the place . The interior is missing expensive door pockets etc .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back