Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2011 Panamera - Central Locking Fault

pannysouth

Being 2020, it would not be the same if I did not have a new issue!

I have an issue with my central locking. My OPC notified me of a fault from the PWSS relating to door lock faults. This issue is present on n/s/r door (both physically and on vehicle memory) and a fault is showing for the o/s/r door lock. The drivers side door lock will not open unless I use the physical key - pressing the unlock button just cycles the mechanism without unlocking the door. OPC are quoting two new locks at £900 but my question is - do I investigate or just replace?

All comments gratefully received...!

On the bright side, OPC performed a re-calibration of the PDK ECU and the gearbox now runs smoothly. It is the little things that keep you going...

Sorry Young man i missed this when you first posted .. you need to pm and nag me :)

2011 onwards and the door central locking .. mainly the rears plays up .. often after unlocking you can't open the door from the outside .. inside will work as its a manual cable .

We did one a couple of weeks ago with the above symptoms ... you will get fault codes relating to this if using a Piwiss laptop .

It is the door lock thats at fault .. well .. it has been on each one i've seen so far .. which isn't a huge amount but enough to recognise it is a problem .

A problem with the front doors though is a new one on me .. but i think you mean just the rears are at fault .

Its not a very nice job to be honest so i would expect 2 hours labor per side to replace plus parts .

Indy will be cheaper .

EDIT ..

I would always bear in mind ,., if an OPC or indeed an Indy say this item is at fault .. its X amount to repair then they need to be correct .. if they are wrong and you have paid for investigation then in my mind it's down to them ... IMHO .

DeMort,

Thanks for your input - as always it is much appreciated! I would never nag you, your time is given freely and no demands should be placed on it! :worship:

The errors are on the rear door lock, with none showing one the front BUT the front lock does not open key the central locking (hence, having to remove the key from the fob to open the door). It does check with what you are saying, though.

Will get on to my local Indy to price the job.

Finally, thank you for calling my Young Man - surely anyone who owns a Panamera is not (and has not been for some time) a Young Man! :lol:

Thanks,

Phil

It's always possible it is a seperate fault to the actual locks themselves .. wiring for instance but the most obvious cause atm seems to be the locks.

Its something i can struggle with at work .. do i spend 3 hours plus trying to check all the wiring and prove an item is faulty when i could go by fault codes and the fact it's often an item i know fails... this is 3 hours less labour to take an educated guess .

Again not every component can be proved these days .. control units for instance .. we can't see software in action so its always an educated guess to a degree .. check what we can but that's about it .

Quick example .. 996 door open handle released and the window fully closes .. this is ALWAYS the door lock assembly and a micro switch in it that tells the CU the door is open or closed ...

It wasn't on this occasion the other week .. a dam break in the wiring of this very switch .

Egg on my face that's for sure

First i've seen and i've changed an awful lot of these for lock faults over the years .

In short .. it's more than likely going to be a lock fault but to prove it is many hours of checking each wire back to the control unit .. or replace it on an educated guess as its known to fail .

Young Man :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back